Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not to be “that guy” but trade proposals like that Flames one are just too unrealistic to even be worth discussing.

I’m not talking about value, I’m talking about the number of pieces involved. When was the last time a trade like that happened, where there’s 3+ moving pieces from each side, including big names? It just doesn’t happen enough to be worth considering.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not to be “that guy” but trade proposals like that Flames one are just too unrealistic to even be worth discussing.

I’m not talking about value, I’m talking about the number of pieces involved. When was the last time a trade like that happened, where there’s 3+ moving pieces from each side, including big names? It just doesn’t happen enough to be worth considering.

Duchene trade was pretty massive.

To Colorado: Girard, Bowers, Kamenev, Ottawas top 10 protected 2018 1st, Nashvilles 2018 2nd, Ottawas 2019 3rd

To Nashville: Turris

To Ottawa: Duchene

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Duchene trade was pretty massive.

To Colorado: Girard, Bowers, Kamenev, Ottawas top 10 protected 2018 1st, Nashvilles 2018 2nd, Ottawas 2019 3rd

To Nashville: Turris

To Ottawa: Duchene
That was basically two separate trades.

From Ottawa - Turris
From Nashville - Girard, Kamenev, 2nd round pick

then Ottawa flips that

From Ottawa - Bowers, Hammond, Girard, Kamenev, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick
From Colorado - Duchene

I'm specifically talking about trades like

From Team A - Big asset (Hamilton), Big asset (Bennett), Small asset(s)
From Team B - Big asset (Simmonds), Big asset (1st round pick), Small asset(s)

Typically trades are either multiple small(ish) assets from each side or one big asset for multiple smaller assets.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm specifically talking about trades like

From Team A - Big asset (Hamilton), Big asset (Bennett), Small asset(s)
From Team B - Big asset (Simmonds), Big asset (1st round pick), Small asset(s)

Typically trades are either multiple small(ish) assets from each side or one big asset for multiple smaller assets.

That large of a 2 team trade, no, but there's been a solid shift back toward Big Asset+ for Big Asset+ traditional hockey deals recently where one team wasn't necessarily buying or selling or even dumping -- Panarin+ for Saad+, Henrique+ for Vatanen+, Zibanejad+ for Brassard+, Hagelin for Perron (and a toss-in Clendening), Johansen for Jones, Hall for Larsson (lol), and Subban for Weber just in the last two years.

The league has started coming around to term and contracts being tradeable value, which is what lets larger deals happen again.

Reactions: Rebels57

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
That large of a 2 team trade, no, but there's been a solid shift back toward Big Asset+ for Big Asset+ traditional hockey deals recently where one team wasn't necessarily buying or selling or even dumping -- Panarin+ for Saad+, Henrique+ for Vatanen+, Zibanejad+ for Brassard+, Hagelin for Perron (and a toss-in Clendening), Johansen for Jones, Hall for Larsson (lol), and Subban for Weber just in the last two years.

The league has started coming around to term and contracts being value, which is what lets larger deals happen again.
Still Dorion is a tool. Can't wait for another trade where he is taken advantage of while hexy is tweedling his thumbs.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Still Dorion is a tool. Can't wait for another trade where he is taken advantage of while hexy is tweedling his thumbs.

Ottawa has some very interesting players if they are going full rebuild. Karlsson, obviously, and Hoffmann (although I think he would cost more than he is worth) but also Zack Smith to fill the 3C/PK role and Anderson may well be the best and most realistic low-cost pacemaker.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Ottawa has some very interesting players if they are going full rebuild. Karlsson, obviously, and Hoffmann (although I think he would cost more than he is worth) but also Zack Smith to fill the 3C/PK role and Anderson may well be the best and most realistic low-cost pacemaker.
I thought about Anderson but his wife is a huge factor in anything he does. He would be a great keeper to ease hart into the lineup too. Make a huge splash and go for Karlsson and Anderson. Neuvy would have to be part of the package. Then a million other assets.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I thought about Anderson but his wife is a huge factor in anything he does. He would be a great keeper to ease hart into the lineup too. Make a huge splash and go for Karlsson and Anderson. Neuvy would have to be part of the package. Then a million other assets.

Excellent point about Anderson's wife, Prongo, and I thought about this delicate family situation and Anderson's expressed appreciation to the Senators for the exceptional care that they offered to him and her. It wouldn't be an easy situation; however, if Anderson and the Senators were mutually okay with him going – or really if the Senators FO decided – then Philadelphia does have the 12th ranked cancer center in the US (2016 data): Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian. And Memorial Sloan Kettering, New York – #2 on the list – is a bit over 2 hours by car.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Excellent point about Anderson's wife, Prongo, and I thought about this delicate family situation and Anderson's expressed appreciation to the Senators for the exceptional care that they offered to him and her. It wouldn't be an easy situation; however, if Anderson and the Senators were mutually okay with him going – or really if the Senators FO decided – then Philadelphia does have the 12th ranked cancer center in the US (2016 data): Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian. And Memorial Sloan Kettering, New York – #2 on the list – is a bit over 2 hours by car.
Took a peek at his contract. He has a modified NTC for ten teams. So it wouldn’t be unrealistic. They also don’t have anyone behind him though that could take the reigns but that probably helps them.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

The league has started coming around to term and contracts being tradeable value, which is what lets larger deals happen again.
Yep.

So if that hypothetical was one of Hamilton or Bennett for one of Simmonds or a high draft pick (and then “pluses” on both sides) I could see it happening. I’m just saying trades with multiple big pieces from BOTH sides aren’t happening.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Anderson is an upgrade and unlike the two schmucks we currently have could actually be a proper stop gap option since he has two years remaining on his deal.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I really just want to go for Karlsson. Figure out how to divide the minutes up but he would give us an elite backend. Him and provy on a pair would be electric. Down a goal??? Him and ghost would be electric.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It would be fun to watch Hakstol bench Karlsson in the last five minutes of the game when up.

kaD94KG.jpg

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Anderson is an upgrade and unlike the two schmucks we currently have could actually be a proper stop gap option since he has two years remaining on his deal.

Anderson is definitely the better goaltender but he's 37 and the hope would be that this past season was an anomaly and not his game gone bad. I think he will bounce back but I'm not a professional NHL talent analyst.

And, yeah, Karlsson would be the pipe dream. But the cost ...

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I really just want to go for Karlsson. Figure out how to divide the minutes up but he would give us an elite backend. Him and provy on a pair would be electric. Down a goal??? Him and ghost would be electric.

At that point you could just use Hagg/MacDonald/Gudas as a bottom pair and roll them out 8-15 minutes a game.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Ottawa would want Ghost back im sure

Reactions: BernieParent

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Ottawa would want Ghost back im sure
Reportedly they almost traded him to Vegas. The price supposedly was two 1st rounders and prospect and another conditional pick if he re-signed.

I think we always over estimate what players will get. Ottawa is going into a rebuild. Why would they want Ghost? To have him try and keep the team above water until they find talent? They need to recoup assets. Still have no idea why they went out and got Duchene.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Just like ROR. You think he is getting a top 7 or 8 pick? Almost no chance. I think we could see like #9-14 straight up for him. I tend to think as fans we over value the players big time. It’s generally why most are disappointed with returns. Mackenzie said tanev+ from Vancouver. Look at their reactions. They better prepare themselves for disappointment.

I get it, “Mike Richards” type return. That simply could mean a top prospect, young roster player and a draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad