Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Again...do you not realize Hextall's situation the first 2 years? Are you seriously that clueless?
What is the excuse for the last two years? What is the excuse going to be for next year, and the year after that. A frickin expansion is about to make the cup finals and four years isnt enough time for Hextall to turn a group that already had Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier into a team who can win one lousy playoff round.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can someone show me a comment from anyone saying the team shouldn't be upgraded?

Just wondering because I haven't seen any.

I've only seen people say that specific hypotheticals are bad ideas, not that the team shouldn't improve.

Reactions: Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What is the excuse for the last two years? What is the excuse going to be for next year, and the year after that. A frickin expansion is about to make the cup finals and four years isnt enough time for Hextall to turn a group that already had Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier into a team who can win one lousy playoff round.

Which one of them is a goalie or defensemen? :popcorn:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If you have paid attention youd know I like Patrick a lot. Ptovorov is a given. Sanheim has shown potential at the NHL level. Nobody else has shown anything to suggest the Flyers should wait around for them and not upgrade the team. Fanfrickintastic the rest of the prospects are "tracking exceptionally" (not even close to 100% true by the way) it doesnt mean a thing until they prove themselves at the NHL level. Those four teams you mentioned didnt ONLY develope talent. They also traded for key players and signed free agents which is all I have ever suggested the Flyers do despite your lies.

You made the list hero. Please, player by player show what it would cost to acquire them and the residual effects?

If you want Hamilton for instance, you can kiss Patrick goodbye!!!!

Reactions: kelmitchell

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Which one of them is a goalie or defensemen? :popcorn:
So four years isnt long enough to find an adequate enough goalie or group of defenseman that are at least decent to go along with a forward core like that? The constant excuses and Hextall ass kissing from you is laughable.

Better yet, how about Hextall doesnt make a terrible hire at coach and then stand by him after this season when its obvious to everyone he is in over his head. Arent you one of the people extremely outspoken against Hakstol. Guess who hired him and gave him a public vote of confidence after the season.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

That expansion team was allowed to make a roster full of bonafide NHL players, without the GM having to make hard decisions on contracts, with the exception of Tuch and Gibson

The Flyers and several other teams, cuz of cap restraints, need a chalk full of AHL players to fill the roster

This argument is ridiculous since you clearly ignore there is a thing called the CAP in the NHL

When Karlsson, Tuch and Theodore take up 20mil, lets talk about their depth then

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You made the list hero. Please, player by player show what it would cost to acquire them and the residual effects?

If you want Hamilton for instance, you can kiss Patrick goodbye!!!!
Bullshit Hamilton would cost Patrick. I dont vote for him anyway so its meaningless. I put all the names out there that have been discussed. I voted for Evander Kane, zero "residual effects" to adding him other than the team getting better.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
They also traded for key players and signed free agents which is all I have ever suggested the Flyers do despite your lies.
Dude, you can't trade for NHL players if you have nobody to trade, which was a problem...there were NO disposable farm assets from 2008 - 2012. Laughton, Ghost, Morin, Hagg, Stolarz were the farm. Some of those guys STILL are the farm, but there are many more (and better) assets now to work from.

You also can't sign free agents when you don't have capspace...nor should you just sign guys because you have that cap space (see this year).

And Vegas is a bad example. Nobody is giving us a stanley cup winning goalie.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
That expansion team was allowed to make a roster full of bonafide NHL players, without the GM having to make hard decisions on contracts, with the exception of Tuch and Gibson

The Flyers and several other teams, cuz of cap restraints, need a chalk full of AHL players to fill the roster

This argument is ridiculous since you clearly ignore there is a thing called the CAP in the NHL
The Flyers will have a large amount of cap space this summer. Whats the excuse going to be this time next year.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Dude, you can't trade for NHL players if you have nobody to trade, which was a problem...there were NO disposable farm assets from 2008 - 2012. Laughton, Ghost, Morin, Hagg, Stolarz were the farm. Some of those guys STILL are the farm, but there are many more (and better) assets now to work from.

You also can't sign free agents when you don't have capspace...nor should you just sign guys because you have that cap space (see this year).

And Vegas is a bad example. Nobody is giving us a stanley cup winning goalie.
Good GMs find ways to find under the radar players and go out and find trades. They dont overpay the hell out of Andrew MacDonald (Hextall was AGM) give a mucker like Dale Weise a four year deal, or count on Neuvirth and Elliott to provide adequate goaltending. He signed free agents, they were just the wrong ones. Again, just a littony of excuses for Hextalls failures.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Good GMs find ways to find under the radar players and go out and find trades. They dont overpay the hell out of Andrew MacDonald (Hextall was AGM) give a mucker like Dale Weise a four year deal, or count on Neuvirth and Elliott to provide adequate goaltending. He signed free agents, they were just the wrong ones. Again, just a littony of excuses for Hextalls failures.
Which free agent goalie did we miss out on?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Shedding Bryz, Lecavs and L. Schenn's contracts

Drafting Provy, TK, Patrick, Frost, Hart

What a dunce!!

Did you just blame Hextall for Amac's contract lmao? Didn't you just say you wanted to have a big boy conversation?...and you STOOP to this?

You're so daft you don't even realize Weise, Elliot, Neuvy, etc were CHEAP signings and nothing but place holders.

You seem to be glorifying them as if Hexy signed them to compete for a cup!!

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So four years isnt long enough to find an adequate enough goalie or group of defenseman that are at least decent to go along with a forward core like that? The constant excuses and Hextall ass kissing from you is laughable.

Better yet, how about Hextall doesnt make a terrible hire at coach and then stand by him after this season when its obvious to everyone he is in over his head. Arent you one of the people extremely outspoken against Hakstol. Guess who hired him and gave him a public vote of confidence after the season.

You can't just "find" a playoff caliber group of defensemen and starting goalie. Drafting/developing is how you're going to get the majority of those players, which is exactly what's happening right now... and it takes time.

Sure, you can make a trade to fill a hole, but that costs assets (which obviously scales up with the quality of the player you get back) and no team is going to give us a legit #1D unless it's for an overpayment or the player has some kind of baggage (health/attitude/contract). Even if you somehow manage to make a trade for a #1D... then what are you trading for the rest of the D core? It's just not a realistic way to build a team... drafting and developing is essential. And before you misinterpret that, I don't mean that's the only thing you're supposed to do, as if I'm against any trade or signing. The point is that the majority of the core of a contender is very very likely acquired through the draft.

Crosby/Malkin/Letang/MAF/Murray for the Pens
Toews/Kane/Keith/Crawford for the Hawks
Kopitar/Brown/Doughty/Quick for the Kings
You get the idea.
They got the main part of their cores from the draft.... and that takes time. Yes, they added guys through trades, but not until the rest of the core was in place. For us, we obviously weren't set up the last four years so making a Kessel/Richards/Carter-type trade would have been premature.

As for the coach, yeah, that turned out awful and I don't like that hes kept him. I never said Hextall is perfect and I've criticized him plenty. I just have an issue with the specific complaints about the drafting/developing and timeline that are a constant all over this board lately. There are legitimate criticisms to be made, but many of the ones I'm seeing are ridiculous.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Shedding Bryz, Lecavs and L. Schenn's contracts

Drafting Provy, TK, Patrick, Frost, Hart

What a dunce!!

Did you just blame Hextall for Amac's contract lmao? Didn't you just say you wanted to have a big boy conversation?...and you STOOP to this?
Was Hextall the assistant GM when MacDonald was traded for and then soon after given a massive six year deal?

Was he the GM who gave Dale Weise a four year deal at a cap hit over 2 million?

Did he bring in Medvedev and Lybomov?

Did he sign Neuvirth and Elliott?

Did he hire Hakstol?

Hextall has made his share of mistakes which have hurt this teams development. For the most part he has done well drafting, free agency, trades, coaching decisions, not so much.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Was Hextall the assistant GM when MacDonald was traded for and then soon after given a massive six year deal?

Were you in the office observing Hextall rubbing himself during this deal?

I saw MoneyBall pal!! :naughty: I know the assistant doesn't always have a say in every transaction:nod:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Answering a question with another (infantile) question. Not surprising coming from you. Like I said, you are totally incapable of sitting at the big boy table and having an actual adult discussion.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Answering a question with another (infantile) question. Not surprising coming from you. Like I said, you are totally incapable of sitting at the big boy table and having an actual adult discussion.

You blamed the assistant GM for a bad trade. Take a timeout and regroup

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I said Skinner, because I think that would be somebody Hextall would like at.

I look at Hextall being that cheap grandpa that doesn't spend any money. We should be in the Tavares sweepstakes, but he won't.

We should also look at players available in Calgary, but we won't.

He will however, grab a super cheap, crappy veteran who will play way too much and cost us points.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think Hexy is going to surprise us with a trade. We have assets, we have draft picks, we have a #1 center, we have a #1 defenseman and we are coming off an 98 point season.

It’s time to push for being contenders now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No, a dumb comment would be any where mediocrity is not only accepted but encouraged. It shouldnt take half a decade to rebuild a team to the point where they can win one playoff round. If you want to be a naive dope and accept mediocrity dont get your panties all knotted up because I dont.
You are getting hung up on this "winning a playoff round".

We faced the reg. season champs and the 2time SCF defending champs in the 2 times we made it. We're we the favorites?

I know you don't like to hear it, but Hextall is building up the prospect pool to not only win a playoff round, but win a cup. He is just not doing it in the timeline that you, and at times myself, like.

When he traded Schenn.....sheer sign that winning now was not the goal.
Signed 2 placeholders in net....sheer sign that winning now was not the goal.

So why be surprised?

He IS building this team to win on the backs of Hart, Provy, Ghost, Myers, Sanheim, Patrick, Couts, Frost, etc... NOT on the backs of Giroix, Jake and Simmer.

I too want him to "flick the switch" this summer. I hope he makes moves to rebuild our 3rd line. But I also am able to take a step back and see that the last few years, his main focus was building up a prospect pool that was very deep so he can use some of those assets as currency WHEN HE THINKS IT'S TIME.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I will say that what is funny, is that most DO want a move or 2/3 made to help take that next step. Yet at the same time, want to trade Simmonds which likely hurts us this year, but helps long term.

And I include myself in this group.

Reactions: captainpaxil

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
My number one target would be ilya kovalchuk. Hes a big scoring winger who wont be looking for a lot in term. He immediately makes the team better amd lw is somewhere we really only have projects in the pipeline.so he wont be blocking anybody.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad