Who is the most overrated coach in the league?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Phil "the defense whisper" Housley

Not to be snarky, but who rates him highly that he merits overrated status?

I don't know anyone who does, and I live in Buffalo.

You could argue that he's no good and not get much argument.....

Though we'd love to find out we're wrong, and he is good....

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not to be snarky, but who rates him highly that he merits overrated status?

I don't know anyone who does, and I live in Buffalo.

You could argue that he's no good and not get much argument.....

Though we'd love to find out we're wrong, and he is good....
People think he is a better coach than a baked potato, hence him being badly overrated.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
McLellen AINEC.

McLellen was overrated when he was first hired but as of this year he is just bad. I think Babcock is viewed as overrated because there is arguably too many Leaf threads on the main board and that draws more attention to the team. I do not think he is the most overrated coach in the league but he is probably slightly overrated.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Just FYI
Babcock outcoached Trotz in our playoff series. We had a presidents trophy roster and the leafs had a bunch of kids never in the playoffs before and he took us to game 6 OT in round 1 as a 1vs 8

Reactions: Nizdizzle

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
While I personally don't necessarily agree with those choices, what do you expect?

Everything about the Leafs is overrated and overstated. I don't mean this as a negative as there is nothing we can do about it. This is what happens when the team's owners control almost all of the sports media in the country in which hockey is the most popular. It's time Leafs fans accept this and give up the woe is us garbage.

The interesting thing about this take is at the exact same time you stated this, these were 2 of the top stories for Sportsnet (Owners of the Leafs as you mentioned):

NHL
McCown says Maple Leafs ‘can’t afford Nylander, period

NHL
Why Maple Leafs should be petrified of upcoming offer sheets

There is no team right now getting this. They are telling Leaf fans the team will be ripped apart soon. Why doesn't Winnipeg hear this?

You guys always ignore the actual content of the media coverage. It's more negative than any team.

Also, I have read all summer the Toronto media is hyping the Leafs as the cup winner and overrating them. Here are all of Sportsnet's analysts predictions:
Sportsnet NHL Insider predictions for 2018-19 season - Sportsnet.ca

0 predictions for the Leafs winning the cup
0 predictions for any Leaf winning any awards.
9 out of 16 picked Winnipeg to win the cup.

Media loves and overrates the Leafs=Myth.
Looks to me like offer sheets are overrated and overstated.

The issue on this board is people continually misunderstand mentioining the Leafs the most doesn't mean they are big Leaf homers. Leafs=$$$$. That's why every Leaf article gets the most hits and content.

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The interesting thing about this take is at the exact same time you stated this, these were 2 of the top stories for Sportsnet (Owners of the Leafs as you mentioned):

NHL

NHL

There is no team right now getting this. They are telling Leaf fans the team will be ripped apart soon. Why doesn't Winnipeg hear this?

You guys always ignore the actual content of the media coverage. It's more negative than any team.

Also, I have read all summer the Toronto media is hyping the Leafs as the cup winner and overrating them. Here are all of Sportsnet's analysts predictions:

The issue on this board is people continually misunderstand mentioining the Leafs the most doesn't mean they are big Leaf homers. Leafs=$$$$. That's why every Leaf article gets the most hits and content.

Great post!

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

NHL

NHL

Might also have something to do with the Leafs having the largest fanbase in Canada, while residing in the country's most populated city. Just saying. ;)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Might also have something to do with the Leafs having the largest fanbase in Canada, while residing in the country's most populated city. Just saying. ;)

It's all about $$$. It's not because they love the Leafs.
Leafs EASILY get more criticism than anyone.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's all about $$$. It's not because they love the Leafs.
Leafs EASILY get more criticism than anyone.

No argument here.....the talking heads at TSN/Sportsnet will run any story, fabricate any rumour out of thin air, because they know it'll get the most traction nation-wide. I'm just saying they preach to the largest fanbase so they know it's guaranteed to land the largest response.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No argument here.....the talking heads at TSN/Sportsnet will run any story, fabricate any rumour out of thin air, because they know it'll get the most traction nation-wide. I'm just saying they preach to the largest fanbase so they know it's guaranteed to land the largest response.
But that's not what the majority are claiming on here at all.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
The Leafs have the most overrated coach, the most overrated team, the most overrated offence, the worst defence.

They should just fold.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
But that's not what the majority are claiming on here at all.

Well for the longest time the Leafs were the laughingstock of the Canadian hockey market, and deservedly so as they just couldn't field a competitve team.

Now that they've supposedly built this juggernaut there's a mix of excitement and cynicism from the media. Excitement about Tavares/AM/Marner/etc., and cynicism about the defensive system and Nylander.

Comes with the territory, I guess. We're always going to have the Dregers or Kypreoses of the hockey world, whining about something or other Leaf-related, while the morning radio hosts (Landsberg and Carlo, Brady and Price) can't contain their excitement after every win. :laugh:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Leafs have the most overrated coach, the most overrated team, the most overrated offence, the worst defence.

They should just fold.
There's a poll about who is the most overrated team. Want to take c wild stab at what team is winning?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I find McLellan being on here kind of odd

Two years ago that team was looking really good. Did he have no part in that? I don’t think he asked his entire roster outside of McDavid to mail in the whole season last year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

NHL

NHL

So your evidence to the contrary is articles about how Leads players ate so great the team can't afford them.

So you actually proved my point accidentally

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Most overrated player - Matthews
Most overrated coach - Babcock
Most overrated defenceman - Rielly
Most overpaid player - Tavares
Most overrated goalie - Andersen

"There's no bias on HFBoards"
Most overrated mascot - Carlton the Bear
Most overrated AHL coach -- Sheldon Keefe
Most overrated part of a tree - Leaf
Most overrated anagram of Ample- Maple

Reactions: Critical91

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So your evidence to the contrary is articles about how Leads players ate so great the team can't afford them.

So you actually proved my point accidentally
LOL THAT'S your interpretation of that? Sportsnet is saying these Leaf players are so great that they'll be given offersheets?
Give me a freaking break! They are telling Leaf fans they are about to lose all their good players to something that never happens.
If SN catered to Leaf fans as much as you think they'd never say that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad