Who is the most overrated coach in the league?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The interesting thing about this take is at the exact same time you stated this, these were 2 of the top stories for Sportsnet (Owners of the Leafs as you mentioned):

NHL
McCown says Maple Leafs ‘can’t afford Nylander, period

NHL
Why Maple Leafs should be petrified of upcoming offer sheets

There is no team right now getting this. They are telling Leaf fans the team will be ripped apart soon. Why doesn't Winnipeg hear this?

You guys always ignore the actual content of the media coverage. It's more negative than any team.

Also, I have read all summer the Toronto media is hyping the Leafs as the cup winner and overrating them. Here are all of Sportsnet's analysts predictions:
Sportsnet NHL Insider predictions for 2018-19 season - Sportsnet.ca

0 predictions for the Leafs winning the cup
0 predictions for any Leaf winning any awards.
9 out of 16 picked Winnipeg to win the cup.

Media loves and overrates the Leafs=Myth.
Looks to me like offer sheets are overrated and overstated.

The issue on this board is people continually misunderstand mentioining the Leafs the most doesn't mean they are big Leaf homers. Leafs=$$$$. That's why every Leaf article gets the most hits and content.

BTW, to add a 3RD example since I made this yesterday, here's more Toronto media hype about how the Leafs are going to lose Matthews.
Where is the talk about Winnipeg and Tampa's cap situation?

Coyotes can play same card with Matthews as Leafs did with Tavares

2:17 | October 11, 2018
HC analyst Nick Kypreos discusses the possibility of the Arizona Coyotes playing the same home card with Auston Matthews, as the Leafs did with John Tavares, and send an offer sheet the Maple Leafs couldn’t match.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/cant-coyotes-matthews-leafs-tavares/

What homers! They keep telling Leaf fans all their players are leaving.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Dont know if it was posted before...... but the winner is the coach that implements a 5 LHS PP1 and a 5 RHS PP2......it is Todd Mclellan

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Dont know if it was posted before...... but the winner is the coach that implements a 5 LHS PP1 and a 5 RHS PP2......it is Todd Mclellan
Just part of Todd's genius, catching the opponent off-guard on the PP unit change. "WTF? They were all left shots a second ago!"

My favorite Todd move was continuing to roll 4 lines in the last 10 minutes of a playoff game with the Sharks down a goal. Hey, gotta have the top-9 fresh for OT, right?

He doesn't qualify as overrated anymore though. He's a known quantity at this point.

Reactions: Bleedred

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Babcock aint worth no 80 million. Needed a very stacked Redwings team with a prime Lindstrom to get a cup.

Now needs two generational talents to get passed the 2nd round of the playoffs, if they make it this year even.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Babcock aint worth no 80 million. Needed a very stacked Redwings team with a prime Lindstrom to get a cup.

Now needs two generational talents to get passed the 2nd round of the playoffs, if they make it this year even.

Leaf Babs ...
  1. 2015-16 ~ last overall
  2. 2016-17 ~ 14'th overall, in playoffs
  3. 2017-18 ~ 7'th overall, in playoffs

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Babcock always named the best coach since 2006 yet Quenneville won 3 cups in 5 years... Babcock loves to hear himself talk.

Honnorable mention to Mclennan

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Tortorella by a country mile.
This isn't the "legend" thread :sarcasm:

watch

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Paul Maurice. Jets fans gave him a pass because of last season. I've always considered him mediocre coach at best. I hope Jets have a 10 game losing streak so that Chevy has no choice but to fire PM.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's interesting that Babcock gets the "Can't win without a loaded roster" not Quennville. Q could not win anything with Colorado and the Blues and was fired twice. He only started winning once he took over the Hawks, who were about to win and were stacked.

With that argument you are saying Scotty Bowman is not very good. I don't think people realize that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad