Who is the most overrated coach in the league?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Babcock AINEC.

(unless he went to a small market team like Buffalo in which case he would be considered underrated and would be seen as a God around these forums because he didn't go to the big market).

How is Buffalo a small market team?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Stopped after the first few posts saying Babcock is overrated.

Say what you want when he was in Detroit, what I know is since the Leafs got Matthews they've been winning with Babcock

No one thought Toronto would do anything when they got Matthews in 2016-17 but managed to get into the playoffs and gave Washington one hell of a fight

In 2017-18 people thought Toronto was a good bet to be a wildcard team, instead they got 49 wins and franchise record 105pts and went 7 games against Boston (IMHO would have won if Kadri didn't get that BS suspension)

How many other coaches can do what Babcock has done with the Leafs? Go hate on anything Leafs somewhere else

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
why does everyone keep bringing up Toronto's turnaround and leaving out the fact that the year they finished dead last in the league Babcock was already there?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
why does everyone keep bringing up Toronto's turnaround and leaving out the fact that the year they finished dead last in the league Babcock was already there?
Because they were supposed to be horrible and had the worst roster?
Also, they finished a full 15 points above the last placed team the previous year, and 21 points above last-place Colorado the year after.
The 2015-16 Leafs are the best team to finish last in a very long time. Their goal diff. was pretty good and lost over 20 1 goal games.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Because they were supposed to be horrible and had the worst roster?
Also, they finished a full 15 points above the last placed team the previous year, and 21 points above last-place Colorado the year after.
The 2015-16 Leafs are the best team to finish last in a very long time. Their goal diff. was pretty good and lost over 20 1 goal games.

the point is they didn't improve until they got some actual talent,Babcock was clearly the much smaller factor here

the Leafs record and goal differential from Babcock's first season and the season before it were almost identical

this kind of low key mythology that always seems to get built up around Babcock without much actual basis for it is why he's always been overrated

Reactions: hector morrison

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
the point is they didn't improve until they got some actual talent,Babcock was clearly the much smaller factor here

the Leafs record and goal differential from Babcock's first season and the season before it were almost identical

They were the worst team in the NHl. Of course he needs talent.
Scotty Bowman won every cup with a virtual all-star team.

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
after what i seen with todd mcllean putting pool party on the forth line after the whole team plays bad after one game he has my voted as most overrated coach in the league

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Babcock AINEC.

(unless he went to a small market team like Buffalo in which case he would be considered underrated and would be seen as a God around these forums because he didn't go to the big market).
If he went to Buffalo this thread would be a lot longer by now about how overrated he used to be in Detroit. If he went to Buffalo they'd be about where they are right now, he couldn't have done much.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If he went to Buffalo this thread would be a lot longer by now about how overrated he used to be in Detroit. If he went to Buffalo they'd be about where they are right now, he couldn't have done much.
Oh yeah those Sabres get so much hate here...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Oh yeah those Sabres get so much hate here...
What are you talking about?

Not everything is about haters.

I'm saying the Sabres would still be about where they are now, coaching wasn't their problem. I'm saying he would A) not made a considerable impact on rebuilding Buffalo (they wouldn't been contending or done rebuilding) B) wouldn't have the largest fanbase of this forum in his corner.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Babcock. Not that i think he's a bad coach, but he's made out to be legendary whereas he hasn't really done anything of note in the nhl since 2008. And 2008 was behind probably the best team of the post lockout era.

he took the Griffins to playoff spot lmao

he's probably like the 3rd best coach

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I do think Babcock is clearly the most overrated coach in hockey, but that's not saying he's a bad coach. He's just made out to be this GOAT coach when he's just not that. Since losing the 2009 cup finals, he has missed the playoffs once, lost in the 1st round 5 times and lost in the 2nd round 3 times.

I'm not even sure how much credit to give him for the 2003 Ducks either, that team was carried by an ungodly JS Giguere putting up historic numbers. He had the same save% that Quick had in 2012, and I'm pretty sure no one uses the 2012 cup to say that Darryl Sutter was a near GOAT coach. Sutter actually did something that Babcock hasn't been able to do: win 2 cups.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I saw maurice getting ranked in the top 15
He's getting over rated imo

Babcock AINEC.

Leafs can't really blame anyone, but themselves
When Babcock was acquired by the leafs
Every leafs fan was calling him the best coach in the world

This is what happens when a big name ever goes to the leafs

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I do think Babcock is clearly the most overrated coach in hockey, but that's not saying he's a bad coach. He's just made out to be this GOAT coach when he's just not that. Since losing the 2009 cup finals, he has missed the playoffs once, lost in the 1st round 5 times and lost in the 2nd round 3 times.

I'm not even sure how much credit to give him for the 2003 Ducks either, that team was carried by an ungodly JS Giguere putting up historic numbers. He had the same save% that Quick had in 2012, and I'm pretty sure no one uses the 2012 cup to say that Darryl Sutter was a near GOAT coach. Sutter actually did something that Babcock hasn't been able to do: win 2 cups.
Babs is not only over-rated but also .over-paid! But he's a Good man! Lives right! No one is expected to win with a shyte team ,but he only has ever won with stacked teams. Not sure where all the hype originated . World stage,maybe?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I saw maurice getting ranked in the top 15
He's getting over rated imo

Leafs can't really blame anyone, but themselves
When Babcock was acquired by the leafs
Every leafs fan was calling him the best coach in the world

This is what happens when a big name ever goes to the leafs
This is hilarious considering Babcock was winning polls on here with Detroit as the best coach in the world.
You are acting like he's such mediocre coach who wasn't viewed very highly. Everyone here thought he was elite BEFORE he joined the Leafs.

Reactions: Quicklime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad