Who is the most overrated coach in the league?

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
This is hilarious considering Babcock was winning polls on here with Detroit as the best coach in the world.
You are acting like he's such mediocre coach who wasn't viewed very highly. Everyone here thought he was elite BEFORE he joined the Leafs.

INFINITE truth.

Been on these boards for years, and I recall the libations many were ready to pour for Babcock.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Leafs can't really blame anyone, but themselves
When Babcock was acquired by the leafs
Every leafs fan was calling him the best coach in the world

This is what happens when a big name ever goes to the leafs

Babcock was overrated before he went to the Leafs, this wasn't something new from when he signed with them.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
INFINITE truth.

Been on these boards for years, and I recall the libations many were ready to pour for Babcock.
I can't find the thread, but we even caught a guy who hates the Leafs voting for Babcock as the best coach and the moment he went to the Leafs he was the most overrated coach.
The guy was loved here as a Wings coach.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I can't find the thread, but we even caught a guy who hates the Leafs voting for Babcock as the best coach and the moment he went to the Leafs he was
ovverrated.

Won’t deny that at all.

However, Babcock’s name and time in Detroit feed his stature more than anything else.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: TychoFan

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
This is hilarious considering Babcock was winning polls on here with Detroit as the best coach in the world.
You are acting like he's such mediocre coach who wasn't viewed very highly. Everyone here thought he was elite BEFORE he joined the Leafs.

And you continued the narrative when he joined the leafs
Don't act so innocent

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
And you continued the narrative when he joined the leafs
Don't act so innocent
I thought he was great in Detroit. So What are you accusing me of? NOT changing my mind ?
I wanted him as coach for a reason. Guy Boucher was the backup plan. No thanks.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What does Babcock do that's so bad compared to other coaches? It seems he operated under the standard coaching formula. Nothing i see indicates that he has no clue what hes doing.

You try to win an Olympic medal coaching 2o plus players that have not really played together all that much. Could you do that?

Nobody said he is a bad coach. They said he is overrated - which he is.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Babcock is a better team builder/unofficial captain than he is a tactical coach. I honestly wish he would move up into some sort of hybrid management role and let Keefe handle the day to day tactical coaching.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Idk about overall, but I’d say Babcock could be considered overrated

A bunch of commentators who love old school, tough hockey and hockey values

+

Old school tough coach

= best coach in the NHL

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
IDK about babcock being over-rated but honestly winning with a roster THAT stacked with talent and winning in Detroit with some of the teams he had...I don't know how you could argue that's a reason he's awesome. I mean unless there's some behind the scenes shit where he's managing huge ego conflicts and meshing teams together that might otherwise implode or proof he's responsible for developing stalled talent.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Most overrated player - Matthews
Most overrated coach - Babcock
Most overrated defenceman - Rielly
Most overpaid player - Tavares
Most overrated goalie - Andersen

"There's no bias on HFBoards"
Team that will regress the Most=Leafs.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
What does Babcock do that's so bad compared to other coaches? It seems he operated under the standard coaching formula. Nothing i see indicates that he has no clue what hes doing.

You try to win an Olympic medal coaching 2o plus players that have not really played together all that much. Could you do that?
No one is saying he has no clue but your argument gets weak quick when you use the Olympics as an example, my four year old grandson could coach a Olympic hockey team from Canada, it would be that easy.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
No one is saying he has no clue but your argument gets weak quick when you use the Olympics as an example, my four year old grandson could coach a Olympic hockey team from Canada, it would be that easy.

...and win gold? Doubt its that's simple.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’ve always thought Babcock was a very good coach. But to hear some Leaf fans complain about his decisions I’m surprised more don’t consider him overrated. I don’t know how much complaining we’ve heard about putting a solid defensive player like Hyman on Matthews’ line for example. Or not playing Matthews on the PP enough even though it was one of the league best power plays.
Like I said I think he’s one of the best.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Most overrated player - Matthews
Most overrated coach - Babcock
Most overrated defenceman - Rielly
Most overpaid player - Tavares
Most overrated goalie - Andersen

"There's no bias on HFBoards"
While I personally don't necessarily agree with those choices, what do you expect?

Everything about the Leafs is overrated and overstated. I don't mean this as a negative as there is nothing we can do about it. This is what happens when the team's owners control almost all of the sports media in the country in which hockey is the most popular. It's time Leafs fans accept this and give up the woe is us garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad