Who is the most overrated coach in the league?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I don't know how a coach that takes a team from dead last and in 2 years has them finish 6th best in the league with 2 straight playoff appearances is overrated but Babcock does a lot of stupid shit

Reactions: ds4130 and KapG

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
What does Babcock do that's so bad compared to other coaches? It seems he operated under the standard coaching formula. Nothing i see indicates that he has no clue what hes doing.

You try to win an Olympic medal coaching 2o plus players that have not really played together all that much. Could you do that?

Reactions: jasonleaffan

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What does Babcock do that's so bad compared to other coaches? It seems he operated under the standard coaching formula. Nothing i see indicates that he has no clue what hes doing.

You try to win an Olympic medal coaching 2o plus players that have not really played together all that much. Could you do that?
Every coach has to try to win an Olympic medal with 20plus players that were thrown together .

However Canada has a much larger group of talented players to choose from .

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don't know how a coach that takes a team from dead last and in 2 years has them finish 6th best in the league with 2 straight playoff appearances is overrated but Babcock does a lot of stupid ****

I'm sure plugging in Matthews, Nylander, and Marner helped. Then there was the emergence of Brown as well as FA acquisitions like Hainsey and Marleau. Leafs did a speedy rebuild that coincided with Babcock taking the reigns. While I think he deserves some credit for it, he also received a stellar top 6 when he took the job.

Reactions: Diddy

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I don't know how a coach that takes a team from dead last and in 2 years has them finish 6th best in the league with 2 straight playoff appearances is overrated but Babcock does a lot of stupid ****
The turnaround might have more to do with the talent that's been added. For example Michel Therrien oversaw the biggest turnaround in nhl history in the 06-07 pens (58 -> 105 points). Most don't consider him a great coach.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

On the Leafs, he has favourites...Zach Hyman and Brown are good bottom 6 players, but they have no business being shotgun to Matthews the last 2 years. Hyman's lost Matthews a good deal assists just by being completely useless with the puck on his stick. He's one of the best at retrieving the puck but once he has it...

He's very stubborn when it comes to in game changes. It took him 3 games to realize that Tyler Ennis does not work on a top line and switched him with Kapanen and boom, offense. Even when the Leafs are trailing in a playoff game he will refuse to put Marner and Matthews on the same line for a consistent period of time. I mean I'm kinda glad in the end because both players developed into line drivers and don't need someone else to do the heavy-lifting (cough Draisaitl...).

With guys like Kapanen, Johnsson or Leivo or any prospect with some semblance of offensive talent, he'll bury them on the 4th line and give them little minutes. With a guy like Brown or Hyman or Ennis? Nope, how would you like to ride shotgun with a franchise center?

Other than that, I really like the special teams under his coaching and the development of Rielly, Gardiner and Kadri have been saved by him which is a bigger deal than on the surface.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Babcock. Not that i think he's a bad coach, but he's made out to be legendary whereas he hasn't really done anything of note in the nhl since 2008. And 2008 was behind probably the best team of the post lockout era.

If reaching the Stanley Cup finals and then making the playoffs every single year except for 1 for 10 years isn’t anything of note then there aren’t very many notable coaches.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If reaching the Stanley Cup finals and then making the playoffs every single year except for 1 for 10 years isn’t anything of note then there aren’t very many notable coaches.
You're right, there aren't.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I'm sure plugging in Matthews, Nylander, and Marner helped. Then there was the emergence of Brown as well as FA acquisitions like Hainsey and Marleau. Leafs did a speedy rebuild that coincided with Babcock taking the reigns. While I think he deserves some credit for it, he also received a stellar top 6 when he took the job.
Hainsey and Marleau joined last year, the first season the Leafs made the playoffs, it was on the back of the big 3 + Andersen + a roster that finished dead last the year previous.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
The turnaround might have more to do with the talent that's been added. For example Michel Therrien oversaw the biggest turnaround in nhl history in the 06-07 pens (58 -> 105 points). Most don't consider him a great coach.
Meh Babcock has the better reputation than MT. And Babcock to his credit has been huge in saving Kadri (became a shutdown top 6 C under Babcock), Rielly (went from struggling top 5 pick to 1D and 52 points last year) and Gardiner (stable 3D that Babcock feeds ice time to and allows to make mistakes)

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Meh, I know haters think they're trolling leafs fans, but they're not. Babcock is overrated and overplays scrubs.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Babcock is overrated in the sense that he's treated as a tier above the rest of the top coaches, when he's about on par with them and probably not the best in the league. Still, you have to give him credit:

- Successful systems. They're not all that unique but pretty much every good team is rolling some variation of what he popularized
- Gets the most out of guys and has a good sense for talent. Remember Carlyle's struggles with Kadri, Reilly, Gardiner, JVR?
- Commands respect. Chicken before the Egg, but there's something to be said about his reputation allowing him to coach in ways that might not ride so well for another coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad