Who Is The Best Player That Nobody Talks About?

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Saw the thread and thought Pavalski, Rackell and Gallagher

Read the thread saw 3 or 4 Pavalski mentions
One Rackell and 0 Gallaghers

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Slavin. He's a great young defensive defenseman, maybe even the best defensive defenseman in the league. Yet, no one talks about him. Hopefully, he'll soon be talked about like Vlasic is/was.

Slavin is quite the hipster pick by now. In fact, the way the hfboards hipsters talk you'd think Carolina had a blueline a shade under the 70s Canadiens.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I don’t know where you guys are consuming hockey talk where Barkov and Wheeler aren’t extremely appreciated

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Lol No.

Sure, your average american may not know McDavid but they probably also couldn't name a single NHL player under the age of 25 that doesn't play for their own team. Anyone who is even a casual hockey fan knows who McDavid is.
I'm just saying his endorsement potential is a fraction of what it would be in a big market, or even a small American market.

Case in point, Pittsburgh is considered a small TV market by American pro sports standards. However, it is still almost twice as big as Edmonton, and both Sid and Geno are world mega stars. I don't think McDavid is getting that kind of attention among non hard-core NHL followers.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
The best are Barkov/Hubadreau (by national Media), Girodano, and Rickard Rakkel

Not the most, but two players that kind of fly under the radar are David Perron and Dylan Larkin. I doubt many people realize Larkin had close to 50 assists last year playing with garbage, and Perron put up 66.

Kuznetsov; the guy is a freakin BEAST

also homer vote: Nazem Kadri

I feel the fact that Kadri has had two 32 goal seasons in a row while still playing his game is undersold. That is very, very, good production, especially given his ToI. Don't get why people like James Neal are more talked about these days.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Any player that doesn't play for Toronto, particularly if the talkers work for TSN (Toronto Sports Network).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trying to add some new names.

Joe Pavelski - Guy is a captain of a perennial playoff team and usually hits 30~ish goals and 70~ish points.

Clayton Keller - he was 3rd in the Calder race last season, but you only hear about Barzal and Boeser. He's in the mould of P.Kane, Marner, and Gaudreau. But he's almost invisible playing in Arizona.

Jason Zucker - Just put together a 30+ goal season. He's like JVR except he plays better in his own end. He outscored JVR and Evander Kane by 10 points last season. But a player changing teams gets huge media attention, where as a guy staying in Minnesota isn't a story.

Ryan Getzlaf - Used to see his mane everywhere, but not so much anymore. Perry is on the decline, so maybe some people assume Getz is too? Might surprise some to hear he was over point-per-game last season. He's consistent and a workhorse, yet gets no attention anymore.
Zucker's game is nothing like JVR's. He is a speedster who creates open ice in 5v5 situation, but has trouble on the PP. Feisty, but not a lot of size, so he doesn't camp out around the net.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
rantanen, barkov, wheeler, rakell etc are talked about constantly on these boards, don't think they are good answers for this. I would say a guy like dadanov is not talked about much or someone like chris kreider is not really discussed much on the main boards.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Zucker's game is nothing like JVR's. He is a speedster who creates open ice in 5v5 situation, but has trouble on the PP. Feisty, but not a lot of size, so he doesn't camp out around the net.

OK. Sure. You're right.

I think you're being a bit picky. It was an offhand comparison in the middle of a decent sized post about 4 different players on 4 different teams, none of which are my team. Sorry I compared two players who are both 30 goal LW'ers.

It's like people are only here to argue, complain, and point fault.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
John Gibson. Only 25 and already putting up top-5 numbers for the last two/three years. If he hadn't been hurt in the 2017 playoffs there's a good chance Anaheim would've gone to the SCF.

And what makes this even more worthwhile, This has got to be one of the best trade down deals that I can recall. Not only did Ducks get Rakell for trading down in The Tyler Biggs deal, the extra pick got them John Gibson.

Reactions: aemoreira1981

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad