Who Is The Best Player That Nobody Talks About?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
One could make a case for McDavid, especially among American fairweather fans. Let's be honest, most people have never heard of Edmonton, so the Oilers and McDavid get minimal coverage in the states. It's a shame to waste such advertising potential on such a tiny market.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Almost every name on here is someone I have discussed this summer, and most of them many, many times the past year, with one exception.

Giordano. In my mind, one of the better d-men in the league. He just doesn't get any attention.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
John Gibson
Wheeler
Granlund
Voracek
Pavelski
Trocheck
Monahan
Forsberg
Arvidsson
Rakell

This is actually a good one. Got heat (much like a certain teammate) for a big contract and a couple weak seasons, but is still top 30 in PPG in the last 3 seasons, which includes both down years, and he proceeded that stretch with 81 in 82.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
One could make a case for McDavid, especially among American fairweather fans. Let's be honest, most people have never heard of Edmonton, so the Oilers and McDavid get minimal coverage in the states. It's a shame to waste such advertising potential on such a tiny market.
Lol No.

Sure, your average american may not know McDavid but they probably also couldn't name a single NHL player under the age of 25 that doesn't play for their own team. Anyone who is even a casual hockey fan knows who McDavid is.

Reactions: slocal

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Off HF it's Barkov, but on HF he gets treated like prime Malkin. He's got Kopitar syndrome unfortunately, no one in the media or otherwise will notice him until he has some team success or literally leads the league in scoring in a full season. But he's a monster worthy of much, much more non-HF attention.

On HF, I have to agree with some other posters re: Giordano and Gibson.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Morgan Rielly on the Leafs has improved a ton and has been great in nearly all situations. If he could shoot more/improve his shot he could get 10 or so goals easily.

On the Sens, Bobby Ryan isn't terrible, but he just won't adjust his gloves and he falls a lot. When he's upright he brings a good amount of energy and a good 30-40 points per season. And he likes puppies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Barkov is a top-5 defensive forward in the NHL who is a PPG player that has never hit 80 points due to injury.

Why is he consistently ranked below Eichel and Matthews, who are PPG players that have never hit 70 points due to injury, but who also don’t bring remotely the same defensive game?

that is a very good point. i mean because, injury is a valid point to bring up, but when other players are just as injury-prone but don't get as much flack for it...

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
why though? he's good, but he was so unimpressive in the playoffs relative to his regular season scoring numbers, in my view
21 points in 17 games was good enough to lead the team. I know he only had 3 goals but he's not a goal scorer anyway.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
forsberg, benn and couture are imo among the elite performers in the league. they don't have the flashy regular season numbers is all (benn did for a few seasons though, forsberg this year as well but was injured).

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Once in a lifetime player? You do know he's not even the best player born in 1997, right?
He is already the best player in the NHL and will get even better next year. He would have topped 100 if he played all the games.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
21 points in 17 games was good enough to lead the team. I know he only had 3 goals but he's not a goal scorer anyway.
yeah it's a lot of points, but like you said, even as a playmaker, 3 goals in 17 games in the playoffs when you're a leader...idk. but i meant mostly from just watching him. i thought he seemed a bit too passive. then maybe my memory is foggy. i thought scheifele impacted the game much more, and the jets were benefitted a lot from their depth players in the first 2 rounds. as soon as the depth guys cooled down a bit, it seems they struggled to score, and they were ousted in 5.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
why though? he's good, but he was so unimpressive in the playoffs relative to his regular season scoring numbers, in my view

This past playoffs?

Wheeler led his team in points in 2 of the 3 playoff series they played. He finished 2nd against Minnesota.

Dude is a beast and he’s still, at best, the 3rd most talked about player on his own team.

Not to take anything away from Scheiffle(who is also awesome), but I think Wheeler has had a huuuge influence on his development.

Reactions: libertarian

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Gaudreau. He bad a career high 84 points this season and is rarely talked about. Probably the least talked about 84 point season in a while.
A lot of that is because scoring was up, so 84 points was basically 15th in scoring instead of almost an Art Ross.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
This past playoffs?

Wheeler led his team in points in 2 of the 3 playoff series they played. He finished 2nd against Minnesota.

Dude is a beast and he’s still, at best, the 3rd most talked about player on his own team.

Not to take anything away from Scheiffle(who is also awesome), but I think Wheeler has had a huuuge influence on his development.

maybe my memory is foggy, but even though he got points, i recall being unimpressed by his overall impact on games. i realize at this point it's pretty vague of an opinion though...

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Morgan Rielly on the Leafs has improved a ton and has been great in nearly all situations. If he could shoot more/improve his shot he could get 10 or so goals easily.

On the Sens, Bobby Ryan isn't terrible, but he just won't adjust his gloves and he falls a lot. When he's upright he brings a good amount of energy and a good 30-40 points per season. And he likes puppies.
If anything Rielly is overrated. He is Jack Johnson's clone. Negative player ever year in the NHL, come out behind in all 5v5 matchups.
Only potted 52 due to tripling his average production on the PP which was an anomaly and will drop.
Any Dman that is a negative on a top 5 team playing top pairing minutes is not good in there own zone. +/- is pretty bad stat but is great comparing teammates and line mates and 5v5 Rielly comes up behind on all matchups including in the playoffs, not something a top end team needs.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad