Who is the BEST out of shape player of alltime?

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I googled Brett Hull looking for proof of his out of shapeness, instead I found only pics of his father Bobby, I'm guessing Brett could get by on genetics alone judging by Bobby's physique. Threw in Gordie Howe as well, damn he was a monster too.

2203a145385a749fc13fb26eb3e53cf3.jpg

qv9zsof8o0vy.png

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I met him a few times and just wondered - 'How the hell can you get that power behind your shot?' - just in awe.

My old room mates dad lived in Nova Scotia in the same neighbourhood as Al MacInnis.

He told me the entire neighbourhood was woken up every morning at 6am to a thundering BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Little Al Macinnis firing off a hundred shots, on a target his dad painted on the side of the barn.

Reactions: CanuckCity

member 157595

My old room mates dad lived in Nova Scotia in the same neighbourhood as Al MacInnis.

He told me the entire neighbourhood was woken up every morning at 6am to a thundering BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Little Al Macinnis firing off a hundred shots, on a target his dad painted on the side of the barn.

I think what made his shot so deadly was the release. He needed so little room to get that off and he could hit the net from anywhere. A lot of guys through history have had super heavy shots, but few (if any) had MacInnis' release and accuracy, and he was doing so with older equipment. Imagine him with today's technology.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I googled Brett Hull looking for proof of his out of shapeness, instead I found only pics of his father Bobby, I'm guessing Brett could get by on genetics alone judging by Bobby's physique. Threw in Gordie Howe as well, damn he was a monster too.

qv9zsof8o0vy.png

Gordie especially was a notorious hard worker. He was basically a modern athlete born 80 years sooner. Did not drink, did not smoke, spent the off season training. Makes you wonder how many records Bobby Hull would shatter if he had Howe's attitude rather than just being a genetic freak that did not have to work as hard especially going into his early 30's.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Kessel has a weird build for a hockey player and definitely has chubby cheeks, but no one who skates that fast is truly out of shape.

Kessel just got a round face, as you say, no way anyone that is out of shape can skate like him.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
The drug addiction didn't start until after he broke his face and because of the surgery and the severe concussion, he started to take pain meds and it spiraled from there.

If you think that's some joke, you're disgusting.

QFT, The guy's face legit exploded in a playoff game 7, his doctor fed him oxycodone like candy during his rehab, Not to mention Big Arty was already known to be one of the team's biggest drinker, but he could control it and it never really got out of control too often, Oxy, and booze are bad combo, especially for a guy who was starting to battle depression as his play was declining, had to endure a gruesome facial injury that required almost 7 hours of reconstructive surgery was in chronic pain and misery, then he's life and career went to hell.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
@Sens Rule:

Exactly.

I'm sure some/most of us play or have played hockey. You know how tired you get, even in your C-league games. These guys aren't playing 15-25 min/game and being out of shape. I just don't think it's possible for the Ovie's/Buff's of the world to play at the level they do and be "out of shape". Even the bottom 6/bottom pairing guys who play 5-10 minutes a night. If they're out of shape and dragging ass out there they'd find themselves on a bus to the AHL pretty quick.

Professional athletes here folks, they're in shape. It's hockey, not sprinting. You don't need the body of Tyler Durden to be "in shape".

There have been plenty of players who can't pass routine physicals or show up to camp way out of shape.

Being a professional athlete is not the same as being in shape, some get by on talent and minimum effort training

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Kessel just got a round face, as you say, no way anyone that is out of shape can skate like him.

Kessel has bloating due to cancer medication he takes. The people who make fun of him are sick

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

qv9zsof8o0vy.png

I remember vividly when few years back when two guys on this site were having a not-so-civil debate over older players being able to play in todays league.

The debate kind of ended when the other guy posted those two pictures and a Picture of Patrick Kane(?) pitching a baseball (can't remember if it was him, but the guy in that pic was about the size of Gordies arm) with caption:

"This guy above is a superstar in this modern phsyically demanding league yet those two guys below couldn't handle the physicality of modern hockey"

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Was Jarki Kurri always in shape? Or Esa Tikkanen. Especially Tikkanen ballooned up like crazy quite quickly after retirement.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Kessel has bloating due to cancer medication he takes. The people who make fun of him are sick

Dial it down a notch! I know he had cancer, but many people wouldn't know that, and certainly wouldn't be thinking about it, when they make fun of his pudginess.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
That is not being out of shape, not being bulked. Gretzky was a finesse player, more muscles would have made him slower.
That's not true at all. Muscles improve the body's elasticity, and guard against injury. If Gretzky had a good build on him, he may have eclipsed 100 goals/season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad