Who is the BEST out of shape player of alltime?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Keith Tkachuk

2005...Keith Tkachuk finally made it to the ice for the St. Louis Blues. After doing virtually nothing during the NHL lockout, he showed up to training camp 25 pounds overweight and was suspended Sept. 16 for failing a physical. "I wasn't as prepared as I should have been," Tkachuk said.

tkachuk_b.jpg

Just kidding...

But Keith was one of those players that you could tell was always fighting the waistline and also the second he stopped playing he was going to balloon.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The drug addiction didn't start until after he broke his face and because of the surgery and the severe concussion, he started to take pain meds and it spiraled from there.

If you think that's some joke, you're disgusting.

Apparently I had the timeline wrong. It wasn’t a joke. I edited the post.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Gretzky was last in all the upper body muscle tests on the Oilers. However at the same time some scientist did a study of how long it took a player to recover their full level of oxygen in their lungs after a hard shift and Gretzky was far better than everyone and was fully recovered after like 45 seconds or something.

I really thought the story was 25 seconds and he was recovered. I remember him going to the bench, and not even 15 or 20 seconds later he would be back out there constantly double shifting and avoiding his shadows defensively who were on the bench struggling to breath. Assigning a shadow to Gretzky was pretty much pointless, especially during the 80's. He would penalty kill, play almost an entire 2 min on the pp and barely break a sweat.

The dude was a genetic freak who would go hiking in the mountains for 8 hours a day in the off season like it was just a brisk stroll. Underrated athletic ability for sure.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Ray Bourque? Always thought he was a little heavy for his height. That said, he could have been jacked. 5'11'', 220.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Love the logic that always comes out in this thread. Just because the beach muscles aren't big, it doesn't mean they aren't a powerful and explosive individual.

Daniel Cormier is someone who lots of people would say "looks out of shape."
usa_today_10556373.0.jpg

Dad bod, beer gut, zero muscle definition, out of shape, right? Don't think for one second that he wouldn't put you on your back and beat your ass in a split second despite looking "out of shape." Guaranteed is insanely strong in his core/legs/glutes. You can also look at his workout partner Cain Velasquez who has a similar build/body type. Both of these men are/have been heavyweight champions.

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Might not count as "out of shape", but Al MacInnis was on the skinny side and didn't fit the stereotype for a hall of fame defenceman with one of the hardest shots ever. (to give an idea, he's in the back at 1:45-1:50 of this video.)

Reactions: b in vancouver

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Ray Bourque? Always thought he was a little heavy for his height. That said, he could have been jacked. 5'11'', 220.

No. There were years when Bourque barely registered - like 2% body fat plus he could play 30+ minutes a game of physical hockey until he was 40. He might not look the part since he retired (that's what happens when guys stop working out constantly) but he'd be more on the side of 'most in shape' hockey players of all time.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Lafleur admitted he, and several teammates, used to smoke during intermissions.

I brought up Lafleur also - in response to Lemieux and people saying he was out of shape because he smoked.
I like the Lafleur stories as he'd be first or second at the rink and stuff...

However, people have to realize that smoking in your 20s really doesn't effect your output as much at the time. It builds up and will stop you in your 30s. But it doesn't really do much to you by that age if you're in good shape. - we all know they're brutal for you... but the list of pro athletes that smoked during their primes is a long long long list.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Might not count as "out of shape", but Al MacInnis was on the skinny side and didn't fit the stereotype for a hall of fame defenceman with one of the hardest shots ever. (to give an idea, he's in the back at 1:45-1:50 of this video.)

I met him a few times and just wondered - 'How the hell can you get that power behind your shot?' - just in awe.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
No. There were years when Bourque barely registered - like 2% body fat plus he could play 30+ minutes a game of physical hockey until he was 40. He might not look the part since he retired (that's what happens when guys stop working out constantly) but he'd be more on the side of 'most in shape' hockey players of all time.

Yep. Played half the games for a million years. He was extremely well-conditioned. Your muscles don't need to be clearly exposed for that - that's bodybuilder stuff.

Larmer apparently used to smoke more than a pack of cigarettes the latter half of his career.

Last edited:

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Jere Karalahti was using cokeine heroine etc a lot also he was drunk many times or hangover in games. He was so talented and good defenceman for LA.

Reactions: moropanov

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Who was that high draft pick who couldn’t do a single pull-up?
Gary Roberts did 1.5 pullups in his first camp.

“I was a skinny fat guy, that’s who I was. Not only was I skinny and weak, but I had high body fat. So basically I had very little lean muscle mass. I didn’t weight train back then. I certainly didn’t have great nutrition. I was a cardiovascular guy . . . I played hockey. I played lacrosse. I thought I was in great shape at 18 years old. (The Calgary Flames) threw me on a pull-up bar for my first fitness test, and I did 1½ pull-ups. I was pretty embarrassed by that.”

Feschuk: Roberts shares his secrets for hockey longevity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad