Who is the BEST out of shape player of alltime?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Gretzky wasn't out of shape. Sure he didn't focus on lifting weights and building muscle as much but that doesn't mean he wasn't a good athlete. Sometimes the skinny looking guys are surprisingly strong.

I mean let's be real, the best player to ever play the game wasn't out of shape. I remember a picture where he's walking naked with foam covering his private parts, he looks fit and not weak at all.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I wasn't talking about that, or maybe it's cause and effect
chronic colitis or sort (Ulcreative colitis), would explain his face thou...
I could be wrong but from what I've seen with Colitis, its very hard to maintain weight...

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Doesn't he have disorder,chronic illness or something of that sort,
that makes his face all puffy/chubby like.

Side effect of the meds he’s on after having testicular cancer.

I haven’t read the whole thread, but Vladimir Krutov apparently found it very difficult to adjust to having to motivate himself to stay in shape after having come up in the Soviet hockey machine. And when he met 7-11 hot dogs, his NHL career was essentially over.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Mentions of Gretzky in this thread are pathetic. He was in outstanding shape and had the ideal body for the game.

People saying Gretzky didn't watch Gretzky. They're just kids who looked at his pictures for the first time and realized he wasn't built like a linebacker.

Reactions: BM14

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
not the best play but dustin penner did pull his back eating pancakes i thing hes the defination of being out of shape

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The answer is MSL. Dude was a machine and his work ethic was unmatched.

Edit: Just reread this. :biglaugh:Lemieux had a couple years where he kind of looked out of shape. So him?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Flower used to have darts and beers before games.
Casseau used to have tons of fries and poutines and so on.
I know Shanny was a good dude who used antiperspirant on a regular basis.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Flower used to have darts and beers before games.
Casseau used to have tons of fries and poutines and so on.
I know Shanny was a good dude who used antiperspirant on a regular basis.
Lafleur admitted he, and several teammates, used to smoke during intermissions.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hard to really compare these things to modern standards. Lafleur was also notorious for practicing all the time as detailed in The Game by Ken Dryden. As mentioned, it probably wasn't uncommon for players to smoke, hell, I'm pretty sure they played in arenas where people were openly smoking.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Vladimir Krutov. One year in NHL and was voted most likely to miss a team flight hunting for airport chilidogs
He's the one I thought of. Although he wasn't "best" anything in his one NHL season.
vancouver_canucks_1989-90_front.jpg

He was always built like a tank, though:
vladimir-krutov.jpg

I'd agree that Mario Lemieux was a physical freak of nature. He generally seemed to play better after more rest, including after taking three seasons off!

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Gretzky wasn't out of shape. Sure he didn't focus on lifting weights and building muscle as much but that doesn't mean he wasn't a good athlete. Sometimes the skinny looking guys are surprisingly strong.

I mean let's be real, the best player to ever play the game wasn't out of shape. I remember a picture where he's walking naked with foam covering his private parts, he looks fit and not weak at all.
Wayne-Gretzky-1982.jpg

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
wayne-gretzky-in-soap-suds-makes-messier-giddy11.jpg

No, Gretzky wasn't out of shape, ever; he just wasn't muscular.

I believe his younger sister was actually pursuing a possible Olympic career in running before an injury prematurely ended it...

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Plenty did that but the one who takes the cake was Denis Savard, more than once he would run down the hall between shifts and sneak a few puffs. crazy times!

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Chris Pronger. If that guy actually trained properly he would of been unstoppable.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Not uncommon in the past. Gil Perreault used to light up between periods also, as did many of their peers.

I used to attend my father's soccer games in the 60's, and he was one of the few who didn't smoke, even though guys smoked before games, on the bench, and at halftime. (Most were European players)

It was no secret, it was just the way smoking was viewed at the time. We all knew they smoked because we saw them doing it.

Damn I'm old....

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kevin Stevens, smoking crack and scoring at high clip.

The drug addiction didn't start until after he broke his face and because of the surgery and the severe concussion, he started to take pain meds and it spiraled from there.

If you think that's some joke, you're disgusting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad