Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #5 prospect?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I like the above poster who said it is the most valuable prospect. So obviously #6 Virtanen is worth more then #50 Vey.

So
Horvat
Virtanen
Shinkaruk
McCann
Jensen
Corrado
Gaunce
Hutton
Demko

Are all worth more than a #50 pick in a poorer draft so Vey would be after them IMO.

Cassels
Fox and others should probably be lower than Vey.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I like the above poster who said it is the most valuable prospect. So obviously #6 Virtanen is worth more then #50 Vey.

So
Horvat
Virtanen
Shinkaruk
McCann
Jensen
Corrado
Gaunce
Hutton
Demko

Are all worth more than a #50 pick in a poorer draft so Vey would be after them IMO.

Cassels
Fox and others should probably be lower than Vey.

What has Gaunce done since being drafted that makes his future more promising tham Linden Vey?

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
What has Gaunce done since being drafted that makes his future more promising tham Linden Vey?

For me personally, I would like to see what Gaunce can do in the AHL. Hard to compare Gaunce and Vey because Gaunce has only ever played in Jrs.

I'm going to bet that a lot of people have put Gaunce ahead of Vey simply because they are more familiar with him, having followed him since he was drafted.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I don't know how one can say Gaunce or McCann or whoever is a better prospect, than those prospects who have paid their dues in the AHL and played and in the case of Vey excelled against men and were able to contribute at the NHL in their first call ups.

If that isn't a better prospect than a kid with great potential playing against other kids at lower and inferior levels, then I suppose either i'm in la-la land or those putting guys like Gaunce, etc ahead of Vey are. I'm a fan of Virtanen, and a very vocal one at that, and i'd never say that he's a better prospect than Vey.

Doesn't matter I suppose, you're right. It's a solid bunch of kids in any case.

Im high on Vey (and fairly bearish on Virtanen) but I don't think saying Vey>Virtanen is fair.

I agree you want to see the progression Vey demonstrated in your prospects, and think Vey will be an NHL'er with a fairly solid career.

However, we are also comparing a 23 year old and a 17 year old which isn't really fair/ideal.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
For me personally, I would like to see what Gaunce can do in the AHL. Hard to compare Gaunce and Vey because Gaunce has only ever played in Jrs.

I'm going to bet that a lot of people have put Gaunce ahead of Vey simply because they are more familiar with him, having followed him since he was drafted.

I know Gaunce never was, and never will be known for his offensive skills. But to me, I would have liked to see more progression over the last 3 years in regards to point production.

I think the AHL will be a good challenge for Gaunce, and think he will be an NHL'er. Im just of the opinion that if he can be an average 3rd line center (sort of like former Belleville Bull Shawn Matthias) than thats a win for us.

Im just not sure how much Gaunce has improved from his draft season, and I see very little offensive upside out of him (maybe a 20-30 point player if we're lucky)

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I'm going to have a hell of a time with Vey in this poll because I just don't know enough about him, so any time there's a "tiebreaker" (in my head) I go with the prospect I actually know.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I like that Gaunce, Virtanen, Jensen, Fox and McCann all have deadly shots and/or know how to get into dangerous spots. They're all going to be threats to score at any point against the play, even if none of them end up being prolific scorers. Jensen and Virtanen obviously have the potential to be big scorers, but all of them should be dangerous on a given shift.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Im high on Vey (and fairly bearish on Virtanen) but I don't think saying Vey>Virtanen is fair.

I agree you want to see the progression Vey demonstrated in your prospects, and think Vey will be an NHL'er with a fairly solid career.

However, we are also comparing a 23 year old and a 17 year old which isn't really fair/ideal.

I disgaree. I think's it fair and right to compare two prospects, despite their age. I that as well as what one has accomplished or not accomplished for their prospective age group matters when proffering who the better prospect currently is. It's essentially in my mind saying who the better player is right now to make a contribution to the squad if you had to call someone up. In my opinion the better prospect to call up in nearly any given situation is always the prospect that is the most ready to play that particular role for the team. In that sense, and context, Vey is a better Canucks prospect than Virtanen, even though the latter was chosen ahead of him in a draft, or because we acquired the former in a trade. Right now...and that's the key point, the better prospects are Vey, Jensen and Corrado for their respective places on the team should a place require filling by their presence. No one else is ready to do that, and thus aren't better prospects. They may have better prospects because of their projections, but projections and reality tend to collide at the pro-levels. It's those who excel at the pro levels who ought to be thought of more highly than those who haven't had a sniff even of that level yet.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I disgaree. I think's it fair and right to compare two prospects, despite their age. I that as well as what one has accomplished or not accomplished for their prospective age group matters when proffering who the better prospect currently is. It's essentially in my mind saying who the better player is right now to make a contribution to the squad if you had to call someone up. In my opinion the better prospect to call up in nearly any given situation is always the prospect that is the most ready to play that particular role for the team. In that sense, and context, Vey is a better Canucks prospect than Virtanen, even though the latter was chosen ahead of him in a draft, or because we acquired the former in a trade. Right now...and that's the key point, the better prospects are Vey, Jensen and Corrado for their respective places on the team should a place require filling by their presence. No one else is ready to do that, and thus aren't better prospects. They may have better prospects because of their projections, but projections and reality tend to collide at the pro-levels. It's those who excel at the pro levels who ought to be thought of more highly than those who haven't had a sniff even of that level yet.

I think your definition of "better prospect" is my definition of "more NHL ready" prospect.

I mean, a guy like Brendan Gaunce is closer to being NHL ready than a guy like Ehlers. But I also think Gaunce is a 3rd line center at best... so in no way would I ever say Gaunce is a better prospect than Ehlers.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The reason I would put McCann above Gaunce and Hutton is that at minimum I see him as our future 3rd line centre. The game he plays has all the hallmarks of a future NHL'er. However, unlike Gaunce, he also has huge upside with how good his shot and mitts are. In the case of Hutton, every time I watch him play, he looks god-tier against people around his own age, but, I'm less confident that his game will translate to the NHL.

which part of being massive, skating well and having good offensive instincts wont translate into the nhl

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
We're in a pretty good place that we're talking about our 4th best prospect and we still have 2 recent 1st round draft picks, 1 promising NHL ready defenceman, the best goaltender prospect at the recent draft, and a handful of other prospects who have the opportunity to be NHL players.

I'm against the overall poor attitude with our future. I like the foundations of this team.

With the 4th Overall best prospect in 2014, medhatcanuck is proud to select, from the Lake Erie Otters Brendan Gaunce.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I think your definition of "better prospect" is my definition of "more NHL ready" prospect.

I mean, a guy like Brendan Gaunce is closer to being NHL ready than a guy like Ehlers. But I also think Gaunce is a 3rd line center at best... so in no way would I ever say Gaunce is a better prospect than Ehlers.

I'd say that those two were both Junior level players, and that neither is NHL. However, if they were both on my team, i'd say that as offensive prospects go, Ehlers is better than Gaunce. As defensive prospects go, I'd say Gaunce is better than Ehlers.

That's the trouble with subjective terms like 'better' i suppose.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Oiler fan coming in. Surprised Virtanen lost to Horvat by such a huge margin. Why's that? I see Virtanen as an elite goal-scorer whereas Horvat as a solid 2C.

This board traditionally drastically underrates the current draft class because they aren't close to playing a NHL game. It leads to ridiculous situations of guaranteed bottom 6 guys getting picked over guys with top 6 potential.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
This board traditionally drastically underrates the current draft class because they aren't close to playing a NHL game. It leads to ridiculous situations of guaranteed bottom 6 guys getting picked over guys with top 6 potential.

'Guarantees' are generally more of a sure thing than 'potentials'. Third liners also are an integral part of success, whether in the regular season or the playoffs.

It's not underrating the potentials, it's keeping a reality based regard for the prospects group after they've had some professional level experience. Once they have that then you know better what you actually have with that particular player, more often than not...exceptions always being exceptional.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Will never understand people voting for an 18 year old goalie who will not play in the NHL for probably 6 years and has a strong chance never to do so. Wait four years and then rank him.

Also, can people just vote for who's in the poll? The whole "I'm not voting for Vey because he's 23" thing is just nonsense, the guy doesn't have 25 NHL games so he's a prospect by HF standards.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
'Guarantees' are generally more of a sure thing than 'potentials'. Third liners also are an integral part of success, whether in the regular season or the playoffs.

It's not underrating the potentials, it's keeping a reality based regard for the prospects group after they've had some professional level experience. Once they have that then you know better what you actually have with that particular player, more often than not...exceptions always being exceptional.

Well the guy with the best shot in the draft and our system just dropped behind Horvat on the depth chart and Bo, while as expected had a good year in Junior, hasn't played pro yet. McCann, a similar player to Horvat, dropped in the polls behind a guy we picked up with a late 2nd rounder in the same draft. Shinkaruk missed almost the entire season due to injury and at his age that can torpedo a career. Yet he goes #3. This list is already a farce.

So, great, you know you are going to get a 3rd or 4th liner out of young prospect. 3rd and 4th liners can be replaced much more easily so even if they max out their potential, their value isn't so high that he can't be replaced. It's a little harder to get and replace a young, top 6 forward. The thing is, most competent organizations pump out these 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pairing D from their systems all the time. I think that our organization has had so many busts, that we are overvaluing the ones that likely won't despite low ceilings.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad