Who has value we can trade?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Streit isn't going anywhere he is the teams best defence men.
Coburn is still good. He is the most tradeable.
Schenn is also moveable on D. But I think he is still worth keeping.
Macdonald is average. Get paid to much. Would be hard to move.
Gostisbehere should have another year in AHL next year.
Morin could be ready next year if not AHL would be fine.
Del Zotto is good and should be re-signed.
Schultz is good as well but this team doesn't need more veterans. I would resign him to cheap

-Coburn + Read + Our 1st 2017to Edmonton 1st (Overall) & Marincin
-Grossmann for a 3rd
-Luke Schenn to Vancouver for 2nd Round Pick

Morin-Streit
Del Zotto-Macdonald
Marincin-Schultz

With the 1st Overall pick I'd take Mcdavid no doubt. Let him develop till he's 19/20 ish then bring him up.
With our 1st probably somewhere like 8th Overall Travis Konecy

With this huge depth at Center flyers could look to move someone good for a true top 2 D man or elite winger if needed.

You don't wait to bring up McDavid. He will be NHL ready next year. He would not gain anything by sitting in juniors for another year.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Hertl-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-Leier
Rinaldo-Cousins-Bellemare

Morin-Streit
Oduya-Schenn
Del Zotto-Schultz
Coliacovo

Mason
Markstrom

R.J. Umberger - Bought Out
Coburn + Read for Hertl
Sign Oduya
Lecavalier - Traded (small amount retained)
Macdonald - Traded (some Salary Retained)
Del Zotto - 2y/6M
Schultz- 1Y/2.2 M
Oduya - 2Y 7M
Coliacovo - 1Y - 900K

3rd round pick 2017 for Markstrom

Team becomes more expendable from here. No big salaries.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Defensemen. It's a seller's market, the high price the Canes are asking for Sekera tells you that (a top young player, a top prospect and a 1st round pick) Yandle is being shopped and Yotes want at least that, so will Buffalo for Myers. Petry also out there wouldn't cost as much.

I think Hexy will hold onto Coburn until March and drive the price up a bit. He's a good vet D who will be a good fit on quite a few playoff teams that are shopping, like the Wings, Kings and Ducks (who are lookng for a top 4 D and Myers is high on their list) .

and teams that need an upgrade and have a good player they are shopping, like the Avs dangling O'Reilly for a D. Edmonton is also looking to upgrade at D and have Eberle out there

It's a shame the FLyers are in Cap hell, with very little $$ and 10 expiring contracts, because if they had more money and could get a top D, it would make the transition for Haag and Ghost next year much easier. Having Streit and a top D with experience would help mentor 2 young players and make their first few years a lot smoother.
Homer really screwed this team with so many bad contracts and NMC's.

MDZ - might be resigned depending on who the new coach is and what style/system he brings. I''m guesing Hexy will want a more Western style /philosophy and in that case, MDZ wil lbe gone, he's just too weak in his own end , they won't get anything for hiim in a trade, nobody will give you draft pick for him, nobody but the Flyers were interested in signing him.

B Schenn - Eventually, by June , should be packaged to get a top LW or D and that might happen by March since the Flyers won't be in the playoffs. And Hexy is hunting for a top D and depending on the trading partner's need and playoff position, he might be be able to get what he needs.

Vinnie - Rumors that Preds are interetested to add him for the playoff run and if Hexy eats some of that salary, he could go and that would be huge, to get rid of that salary and open up a spot for a younger player.

MacDonald- unless the FLyers eat half (which they won't) he's going nowhere, sad to say.

The players that other GM's are asking about, for the most part, arean't the ones the Flyers want to trade.

Hexy needs to, by next training camp, get rid of as many of those bad contracts as he can, even if he eats some of the cap, losing say, Vinnie, Umberger , AMac, and eating 1.5 or so of each still saves the team close to 10M which they they need to sign the expiring contracts and /or restock.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
You don't wait to bring up McDavid. He will be NHL ready next year. He would not gain anything by sitting in juniors for another year.

Exactly.
That would be an additional benefit of picking top-3: you almost certainly get a player who can contribute immediately.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Rob Parent ‏@ReluctantSE
Hextall, on cell phone from Toronto, just kind of laid down gauntlet on players. Indicated trades may come if Flyers don't get better fast.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Defensemen. It's a seller's market, the high price the Canes are asking for Sekera tells you that (a top young player, a top prospect and a 1st round pick) Yandle is being shopped and Yotes want at least that, so will Buffalo for Myers. Petry also out there wouldn't cost as much.

I think Hexy will hold onto Coburn until March and drive the price up a bit. He's a good vet D who will be a good fit on quite a few playoff teams that are shopping, like the Wings, Kings and Ducks (who are lookng for a top 4 D and Myers is high on their list) .

and teams that need an upgrade and have a good player they are shopping, like the Avs dangling O'Reilly for a D. Edmonton is also looking to upgrade at D and have Eberle out there

It's a shame the FLyers are in Cap hell, with very little $$ and 10 expiring contracts, because if they had more money and could get a top D, it would make the transition for Haag and Ghost next year much easier. Having Streit and a top D with experience would help mentor 2 young players and make their first few years a lot smoother.
Homer really screwed this team with so many bad contracts and NMC's.

MDZ - might be resigned depending on who the new coach is and what style/system he brings. I''m guesing Hexy will want a more Western style /philosophy and in that case, MDZ wil lbe gone, he's just too weak in his own end , they won't get anything for hiim in a trade, nobody will give you draft pick for him, nobody but the Flyers were interested in signing him.

B Schenn - Eventually, by June , should be packaged to get a top LW or D and that might happen by March since the Flyers won't be in the playoffs. And Hexy is hunting for a top D and depending on the trading partner's need and playoff position, he might be be able to get what he needs.

Vinnie - Rumors that Preds are interetested to add him for the playoff run and if Hexy eats some of that salary, he could go and that would be huge, to get rid of that salary and open up a spot for a younger player.

MacDonald- unless the FLyers eat half (which they won't) he's going nowhere, sad to say.

The players that other GM's are asking about, for the most part, arean't the ones the Flyers want to trade.

Hexy needs to, by next training camp, get rid of as many of those bad contracts as he can, even if he eats some of the cap, losing say, Vinnie, Umberger , AMac, and eating 1.5 or so of each still saves the team close to 10M which they they need to sign the expiring contracts and /or restock.

Have to address the bolded first. There are really just two bad contracts on this team right now (although with Capgeek gone I could be missing something). MacDonald is too long, and VL's contract is bad. Other than that I can think of no other bad contracts. Grossmann's contract is pretty much spot on for what he brings. Schenn's is also pretty much spot on. Aside from VL, I can think of no forwards on bad contracts. So let's not act like this time is riddled with bad contracts. Bad players, maybe. Haha.

I think the rest of what you said is pretty much spot-on though. My only issue is I don't think the Flyers will be trading for a defenseman. As you said, it is a seller's market. If they are going to deal Coburn and/or Streit, I doubt they make a splash trading for someone like Myers or Yandle, or another guy that is out there we haven't heard about being available. If they are dealing one of those two, I think they are committed to a longer re-build, or at least will wait until the offseason to address that need.

If B. Schenn gets traded, I think it will be for picks and prospects, nothing established.

RJ8812*

Rob Parent ‏@ReluctantSE
Hextall, on cell phone from Toronto, just kind of laid down gauntlet on players. Indicated trades may come if Flyers don't get better fast.

Hexy, it's been like this since game 1. They aren't getting better

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Rob Parent ‏@ReluctantSE

Hexy knows they are not a playoff team, the math dictates that and he's firing them up to keep a roster spot for next year. Trades are coming, they already knew that, but maybe they will be competing a bit harder against the guy next to them to keep a job. That also works for any scouts watching betwen now and March for who is playing well and tradeable.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The season is over already, all that's being decided is how good of a draft pick we can get. What I'm worried about is that trading away some of our D would make the team better and hurt our draft position. At the deadline I'm sure playoff teams are going to be looking for D, just like we were able to dump Mez for a 3rd last year. Coburn, Grossmann, Schenn, Schultz, Del Zotto... any of them could be traded for a pick and I'd be fine with it. I'd probably keep Streit unless someone offered something pretty substantial. If they can manage to trade Lecavalier, Umberger, or MacDonald I'd look at Hextall as a god.

Hexy knows they are not a playoff team, the math dictates that and he's firing them up to keep a roster spot for next year. Trades are coming, they already knew that, but maybe they will be competing a bit harder against the guy next to them to keep a job. That also works for any scouts watching betwen now and March for who is playing well and tradeable.

:laugh: Probably wants certain people to play better to boost trade value.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 16 seconds ago

Hextall says the season is "on the players" and not Berube. He also said he is very close to point where moves will be made toward future

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
He's not going to publicly throw the coach under the bus. He can make statements like this because it's clearly true. Our team sucks. He will throw berube under the bus when he fires him at the end of the season

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Have to address the bolded first. There are really just two bad contracts on this team right now (although with Capgeek gone I could be missing something). MacDonald is too long, and VL's contract is bad. Other than that I can think of no other bad contracts. Grossmann's contract is pretty much spot on for what he brings. Schenn's is also pretty much spot on. Aside from VL, I can think of no forwards on bad contracts. So let's not act like this time is riddled with bad contracts. Bad players, maybe. Haha.

I think the rest of what you said is pretty much spot-on though. My only issue is I don't think the Flyers will be trading for a defenseman. As you said, it is a seller's market. If they are going to deal Coburn and/or Streit, I doubt they make a splash trading for someone like Myers or Yandle, or another guy that is out there we haven't heard about being available. If they are dealing one of those two, I think they are committed to a longer re-build, or at least will wait until the offseason to address that need.

If B. Schenn gets traded, I think it will be for picks and prospects, nothing established.

4.6 M thru 2017 for Umberger is bad and I don't think anyone will take him, even if the Flyers ate part of that.

Hexy has to upgrade at D, he knows that, esp since he's trying to restructure the team for the future. He learned from Lombardi how to build the right way, from the back forward. Stolarz and the 4 young D are the start, and over the next few years, losing some of the older players/expiring contracts and drafting wingers (hopefully Lawson Crouse is still available when they picke, he's the 6' plus power winger they need and currently ranked in the top 8 for 2015 draft) is slowliy building the right way.

But for those young d, without someone to mentor, lean on, lead that is top D to take the pressure off, that road is much harder. It's the toughest position to learn and usually takes a good 300 games until the mobile 2 way D's get their bearings. (Longer for the big physical D) It's crucial for their development. Seth Jones is better because Weber is there. Doughty's path was aided by Sean ODonnell, Scuderi and Willie Mithcell. Eckblad is benefitting from MItchell this year. Dougie Hamilton had Chara and Seidenberg. So I think Hexy will try to get a top 3 D, under 30 if he can to stablize that group.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
4.6 M thru 2017 for Umberger is bad and I don't think anyone will take him, even if the Flyers ate part of that.

Hexy has to upgrade at D, he knows that, esp since he's trying to restructure the team for the future. He learned from Lombardi how to build the right way, from the back forward. Stolarz and the 4 young D are the start, and over the next few years, losing some of the older players/expiring contracts and drafting wingers (hopefully Lawson Crouse is still available when they picke, he's the 6' plus power winger they need and currently ranked in the top 8 for 2015 draft) is slowliy building the right way.

But for those young d, without someone to mentor, lean on, lead that is top D to take the pressure off, that road is much harder. It's the toughest position to learn and usually takes a good 300 games until the mobile 2 way D's get their bearings. (Longer for the big physical D) It's crucial for their development. Seth Jones is better because Weber is there. Doughty's path was aided by Sean ODonnell, Scuderi and Willie Mithcell. Eckblad is benefitting from MItchell this year. Dougie Hamilton had Chara and Seidenberg. So I think Hexy will try to get a top 3 D, under 30 if he can to stablize that group.

Wasn't Umberger a Hextall move?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A first rounder outside the top 10 is unlikely to be a better NHL player than BSchenn, and could end up not being an NHL player at all.

Wasn't Umberger a Hextall move?

Yes, it's how he got out of the stupidly long contract Homer gave Hartnell.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I find that highly unlikely, trading him for picks or prospects is pointless. He's either moved for something that can help now or he's not moved at all IMO.

I agree. I am a fan of Schenn's and would prefer to hang on to him, but I think he does have value and I would be willing to trade him. The problem is that if he is traded, 1) he alone is not going to return the player we all want; 2) even if by some stroke of genius/luck we could do a 1-1 swap, the cap hits would likely not work out; and 3) he would have to be packaged with other assets that I'd rather not give up at this time (see #1). If we are to trade Schenn, I think he could potentially get a return of a first and a good prospect, maybe a little more, but at the very least he is bringing back a first. I don't think I would do it straight up for a first, but he's got value and I'd be willing to trade him if the deal was right.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
A first rounder outside the top 10 is unlikely to be a better NHL player than BSchenn, and could end up not being an NHL player at all.

Yes, it's how he got out of the stupidly long contract Homer gave Hartnell.

Fair enough. So we'll throw Umberger into the mix as a bad contract then.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I agree. I am a fan of Schenn's and would prefer to hang on to him, but I think he does have value and I would be willing to trade him. The problem is that if he is traded, 1) he alone is not going to return the player we all want; 2) even if by some stroke of genius/luck we could do a 1-1 swap, the cap hits would likely not work out; and 3) he would have to be packaged with other assets that I'd rather not give up at this time (see #1). If we are to trade Schenn, I think he could potentially get a return of a first and a good prospect, maybe a little more, but at the very least he is bringing back a first. I don't think I would do it straight up for a first, but he's got value and I'd be willing to trade him if the deal was right.

A first meaning a 1st round pick? B Schenn wouldn't merit that, let alone prospects or a 'little more'. Most every NHL team has scouts at games and they've seen his total lack of a complete game for going on 4 years now. Offense/scoring has never been a problem all way back to the Wheatkings and Blades. He'll get his goals. But he's inconsistent at times. it's that he has nothing else beyond that. In the other 2 zones, he's weak. He has a low IQ, doesn't protect himself or the puck, his indecisions lead to costliy turnovers and goals. That is instinct, you have it or you don't, he doens't. Packaged the right way, he'd get a return but not alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad