Who has value we can trade?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I don't know what it is...

But I don't want to trade Matt Read. Now if he gets you something huge, great...but until this year, I always saw him as a guy you win championships with. A do-it-all player that is consistent. Maybe it's just a bad year for him...

I am not wild about giving the guy up. Am I the only one?

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
In my opinion, I think this is what we could get in return for our defenseman:

1st- Coburn/Streit
2nd- Schenn/MDZ/Grossmann/Timonen (although its unlikely he gets healthy)
3rd-Schultz
Nothing- AMac

I know that Schenn and Grossmann may be giving confusing choices. But Schenn is still young and is very serviceable when paired with the right guy. I think there has to be a team out there that is willing to overpay for a RHD. As for Grossmann, I personally think he's played fairly well. OK let me rephrase that. He has looked pretty good on our defense. He has been playing the same mediocre defense. But I actually think he's gotten better at moving the puck. I might sound crazy, but I think our crap defense has made Grossmann look good. If Hexy could get an auction going or maybe retain a little bit of salary then we could get a 2nd for him imo.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Meszaros got a 3rd, then Schultz should be worth a 2nd and Coburn should return a 1st at the deadline. That still leaves you with Streit, MacDonald, LSchenn, Grossmann, MDZ and Colaiacovo as top six to finish out March & April.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
In my opinion, I think this is what we could get in return for our defenseman:

1st- Coburn/Streit
2nd- Schenn/MDZ/Grossmann/Timonen (although its unlikely he gets healthy)
3rd-Schultz
Nothing- AMac

I know that Schenn and Grossmann may be giving confusing choices. But Schenn is still young and is very serviceable when paired with the right guy. I think there has to be a team out there that is willing to overpay for a RHD. As for Grossmann, I personally think he's played fairly well. OK let me rephrase that. He has looked pretty good on our defense. He has been playing the same mediocre defense. But I actually think he's gotten better at moving the puck. I might sound crazy, but I think our crap defense has made Grossmann look good. If Hexy could get an auction going or maybe retain a little bit of salary then we could get a 2nd for him imo.

I think that may be the case with Schultz as well.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Two of the D need to be traded for picks. I think Coburn and Schultz would be the most attractive but I don't really care who goes.

Right now we would pick 6th overall, then not pick again till #75.

RJ8812*

If Meszaros got a 3rd, then Schultz should be worth a 2nd and Coburn should return a 1st at the deadline. That still leaves you with Streit, MacDonald, LSchenn, Grossmann, MDZ and Colaiacovo as top six to finish out March & April.

very unlikely he gets us a 2nd. 3rd or 4th is more like it

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Two of the D need to be traded for picks. I think Coburn and Schultz would be the most attractive but I don't really care who goes.

Right now we would pick 6th overall, then not pick again till #75.

I think this trade deadline will tell a lot about Hextall. If this team is not a seller and gets some picks back, I will be disappointed.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd take a 3rd. But what Boston gave us for Meszaros shows just how desperate teams can get at the deadline. Literally everyone on this forum could have told them Mez wasn't worth that.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
I think Hexy is holding out until the deadline to begin dealing dmen. That's when you get the overpayments. He will definitely try to get a 2nd rounder.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think this trade deadline will tell a lot about Hextall. If this team is not a seller and gets some picks back, I will be disappointed.

Based off of the organization he came from and our organizational needs, I'd really hope he is a firm believe in building through the draft

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Before trading the core, such as Simmonds, the Flyers should unload lesser players. Here is who they should and the order which they should be traded:
1. Coburn - hopefully for 2nd
2. Grossman - hopefully for 3rd
3. Streit - is are only competent d at carrying puck out of the one and key to the pp. But he is older and the return should be very solid - 2 1st draft picks or 1st and prospect.
4. Read - if the return is solid.
5. Simmonds - return must be huge. Also increases the odds of getting either McDavid or Eichel.

Not saying Simmonds should be traded. The non-core players should be traded first and then possibly a core player, such as Simmonds if the return is very very solid.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
I wouldn't trade Simmonds. Streit is the one vet I would keep.

1- Coburn - before his value drops
2- Schultz - deadline
3- Grossmann
4- L.Schenn (not sure he is worth anything though might wait until deadline '16)
5- Read - only if decent return

Obviously if Vinny can play his way into someone wanting him, good riddance. No hope for Umberger though.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

But I don't want to trade Matt Read. Now if he gets you something huge, great...but until this year, I always saw him as a guy you win championships with. A do-it-all player that is consistent. Maybe it's just a bad year for him...

There was talk that Hextall is asking teams to take a bad contract back in trade offers.

If Reads friendly contract comes with Umberger or McDonald then it would be worth?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There was talk that Hextall is asking teams to take a bad contract back in trade offers.

If Reads friendly contract comes with Umberger or McDonald then it would be worth?

You're probably not going to find many teams lining up to take on that much salary/caphit for all those years. Read's contract isn't exactly cheap either.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
there is no way that the Flyers have more than 2 rookies in the line-up regularly on the back end next year (if everyone is healthy). Even expecting more than 1 is far fetched.

I think Morin, Ghost and Hagg will all be in the AHL next year, at least at the start. People want to think that Morin is ready, but they all forget that this guy is a project and definitely not a sure thing. There is no way Hextall is going to rush him.

It will be interesting to see who we can move by the deadline though

I agree that they won't come out of training camp with more than one, but I think that more than one could work his way onto the team, especially if there are multiple injuries.

south jersey flyer

Jun 2, 2010
Lumberton, NJ

Totally agree with this. Any offer for Read would have to an "offer we couldn't refuse". I definitely wouldn't shop him around.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Totally agree with this. Any offer for Read would have to an "offer we couldn't refuse". I definitely wouldn't shop him around.

The ugly reality is that the Flyers will be just as bad next year, maybe even worst, and probably the year after. So Read will be 30 or older by the time the team is ready to compete. The odds are he will be also a worst player by then. So the Flyers can sell high soon or move him for peanuts later.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don think that's reality. With a competent coach and even average PKing they'd be more like 15th than 25th.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Considering our bad position over the next few years I would be in favor of packaging talent with duds to get less than the combo is worth. It would speed up things by a few years. However ee could have an all AHL D right now and it would be pretty similar result. A few pieces could change a lot. If there is a bidding war we may be able to trade off a few dmen. I'd be happy with a shorter term contract and along one going this deadline. Really happy.

Every D we have here is a complimentary guy. If our D prospects pan out then having a few of them around really won't be that bad. We would be competitive at that point as opposed to when a mac comes off the books etc

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Matt Read looks cooked to me. If some team offers a 2nd +, I'd be jumping all over it. That prospect may never amount to a Matt Read, but I think it's time to trade him now before his value sinks drastically.

Trade Grossmann and/or Schultz for a 3rd or so.

Look to move Coburn in a deal for an equal valued player or a combination of picks and prospects.

Take Vinny and Umberger on a flight through the Bermuda Triangle.

Win Draft Lottery.

And viola. Seems simple enough.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don think that's reality. With a competent coach and even average PKing they'd be more like 15th than 25th.

The PK sucks because the defensemen they have out there suck. They replaced their best pking defensemen, Timonen, with a guy signed as a 7th defenseman this year because the majority of the league thought he was washed up, Schultz.

When Timonen went down, many posters here said the Flyers were going to be bad because of the defensive personnel. One of the common responses was that the Flyers team defense would be better with another year in Berube's system and a full training camp. My response was that coaching means very little in professional sports and talent is everything. Next year, the Flyers have very little options to change the defensive personnel with the UFA and trade market all but dead for top defenseman so the only option is rookies, who have traditionally had a long learning curve at the NHL level. So the defense will largely be the same with maybe some rookies and or cheap journeyman. So you believe a new coach can turn that around. I think talent is pretty much everything so under those circumstances, the defense could even be worst. I guess we must wait and see next year which proves more important.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The PK sucks because the defensemen they have out there suck.

Incorrect. Coburn, Grossmann and LSchenn all got big minutes just last season as part of a 7th ranked PK unit with Coburn being out there 25% more than Kimmo was. If it was just Timonen making our PK good last season then it should have been awful when he was not on the ice. But it wasn't. The Flyers were shorthanded for 542 minutes in 13-14; Kimmo played 262 of them - less than half.

As Appleyard has written about at length, the coaches have changed the PK system this year to be much more aggressive and it has worked out terribly. It's not just a personnel issue.

Last edited:

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
If colorado is really shopping ROR i would package read/pick/lower end prospect and Coburn for ROR. He would look good with Coots. Gives the D a little breathing room as well for some of the younger guys to make their way in. We need to get rid of at least 3 of these guys by the start of next season, so why no start now.

Im not 100% sure coburn for ROR straight up is equal value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad