Who has value we can trade?

jr13

Nov 12, 2006
Can we get picks for Coburn, Grossman, or Schenn? Or are their contracts just too high like MacD?

Can Emery be a playoff teams solid backup and secure picks as well?

And what return if any besides a bag of pucks for Vinny and RJ?

We have so little cap space, so few top prospects on offense, and no real chance for the playoffs - why not shut this thing down now and get in the sweep stakes for the #1 pick?

Does anyone wish we had done Simmonds and our #1 for Ekblad now? I sure do!!

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Matt Read assuming Leier is ready for the NHL next year, which he probably isn't.

Brayden Schenn if they have an upgrade at LW in mind.

Not much else that won't absolutely torpedo the only strengths of the roster.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
Does anyone wish we had done Simmonds and our #1 for Ekblad now? I sure do!!

I sure don't!

Simmonds is a key part in this team's offense, and dumping #1's is never a good idea. It's just way too much of a gamble.

Coburn, Grossmann, and Schenn have all been playing like dog **** lately so they're kind of value that is on the decline.

I don't think many people would have a terrible interest in Emery. He's an average goalie and is really starting to get old.

It's funny that you mention RJ and Vinny since both of them have been playing lights out (at least for them) the last 4 or 5 games.

Doing the 76ers level of tanking just isn't how hockey works. However, I do wish this team would stop winning because our playoff hopes are very bleak and it would be nice to just get a good pick and come back next year ready to play.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
It's hard to say. Part of the problem with the Flyers defense is that most of the players are asked to play minutes and situations they aren't ideally suited for.

If guys like Coburn and Grossmann are more being tasked with 2nd/3rd pairing duties they look a hell of a lot better. I think you could get a decent prospect or a non 1st rounder for one of them.

Luke Schenn is a different story, I think the only thing you could hope for would be a struggling young player also on a tough contract.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Coburn definitely has value but also has a NTC.

Schenn should still be able to get a 2nd or 3rd

Grossmann not much but some playoff team would probably still be interested for a pick

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
So today if Florida offered Ekblad for Simmonds and Sanheim you would say no?

Who knows what Sanheim's potential is. At the time of a trade, I'm just not a supporter of throwing away first rounders for players. First round picks can get you seriously great players. G was selected later than Sanheim and look what he's turned into. Dumping prospects for current players is really throwing away your future if you want my opinion. Ekblad is tempting because of his age, however.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
It's hard to say. Part of the problem with the Flyers defense is that most of the players are asked to play minutes and situations they aren't ideally suited for.

If guys like Coburn and Grossmann are more being tasked with 2nd/3rd pairing duties they look a hell of a lot better. I think you could get a decent prospect or a non 1st rounder for one of them.

Luke Schenn is a different story, I think the only thing you could hope for would be a struggling young player also on a tough contract.

This is key. It seems like a lot of teams around the league are looking for D help, and the Flyers have a lot to offer teams in that department. As bad as we think guys like Coburn, Mac, Schenn or Gross are...they would be great additions to any team that actually has a well built defense. If I am Hextall, I am looking to move two of those guys before the deadline. I think Coburn is the only one who could fetch a note worth return, but if they could find a taker for Gross or MacDonald...that itself would be worth it.

They likely arent going to be able to move Vinny or Umberger...so theyve gotta shed salary somewhere. Coburn/Grossmann/Schenn/MacDonald/Streit (if overpaid) would be good places to start.

Hextall needs to do something soon.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The only guys that have value are probably the guys you wouldn't want to trade.

Guys on cap friendly contracts with RFA status at their expiry: B. Schenn, Couturier, and ELC guys (Laughton, Morin, Sanheim, Ghost, Hagg, etc).

Guys on cap friendly contracts who are worth more than they're being paid: Simmonds, Voracek.

Guys earning their contracts: Giroux, Mason.

Read and Coburn are they only two guys that could have perceived value outside of the Flyers organization who could be moved. Both are on decent contracts and can easily fit on most rosters.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Get what you can for Grossmann now...3rd rounder if possible.

Then let Schenn back in to play that role(yes I know different side of the ice)

See if we can raise Schenn's value for trading him next year.

Grossmann's value will not go up.....Schenn's could.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
It seems a lot of you look at trades and draft picks as a magic bullet. It takes years of draft picks mixed with some smart trades to build a new team of players. The past few years have seen some smart draft picks but they're not ready. There really isn't much we want to trade that would bring us an immediate impact player. So we're pretty much stuck with who we have while we draft and wait for our prior picks to be ready. That doesn't mean we can't expect more. The players on this team should be better, let's not forget these were all NHL draft picks at one time. Some of them were also trades. So what's up with them? The obvious answer is they're not being coached and utilized properly. What this team needs to do is get better coaching. Get a proven winner and stop promoting inexperienced guys. NOW!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It seems a lot of you look at trades and draft picks as a magic bullet. It takes years of draft picks mixed with some smart trades to build a new team of players. The past few years have seen some smart draft picks but they're not ready. There really isn't much we want to trade that would bring us an immediate impact player. So we're pretty much stuck with who we have while we draft and wait for our prior picks to be ready. That doesn't mean we can't expect more. The players on this team should be better, let's not forget these were all NHL draft picks at one time. Some of them were also trades. So what's up with them? The obvious answer is they're not being coached and utilized properly. What this team needs to do is get better coaching. Get a proven winner and stop promoting inexperienced guys. NOW!

No but by doing some trades now....allows them to hopefully be ready when start clearing the Umberger and Vinny contracts that are anchors.

And that's why we should also be looking at prospects for our guys too....they are further along in development and you know what they are likely to be.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Coburn definitely has value but also has a NTC.

Schenn should still be able to get a 2nd or 3rd

Grossmann not much but some playoff team would probably still be interested for a pick

Coburn has a modified NTC. I wonder if the Oilers are on the list, as it would be nice to flip him to Edmonton for the first they picked up from Pittsburgh.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Coburn has decent value and should be traded. AMac has negative value, as do Grossmann and L.Schenn now, but hopefully they can be traded as next year's deadline for a pick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Emery was brought up in the thread, it's hard to move goaltenders during the season but can be done. Someone needs to get hurt. Or we can take Anders Lindback from the Stars.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Emery for lindback I'd do

If we could trade L Schenn for a struggling young player. Like himself. A forward I'd go for. I know we need D. But our pipeline will be ready in 2-3 years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Emery for lindback I'd do

If we could trade L Schenn for a struggling young player. Like himself. A forward I'd go for. I know we need D. But our pipeline will be ready in 2-3 years.

You're still trading expiring contracts for each other. And Lindback really sucks, Emery is an upgrade. It should still cost them something and Lindback would be a throw-in to get a look at.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'm not sure trading Schenn or Grossman is a realistic option until next year. Very few teams are going to want to acquire them at the deadline and commit a year to them next year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Never know how desperate teams can be.

Streit and Coburn should both bring back 1st round picks.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
If we trade Coburn, isn't that taking a bad defense and making it worse?

Although if we are going to trade him we should wait for the trade deadline when we could get a good haul. I imagine a player of his status going to a contender like LA or Detroit could bring in good picks or prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad