Salary Cap: Who goes?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I come in peace.

We all know there is a looming cap issue, I have to assume that there is a plan in place to address it.

My question is aside from the most likely target of Reilly Smith being the one to move (and yes he would fit with NYR'S) it doesn't look like that will be enough.

Is it possible that both Smith and Dadonov get moved?

I'm legit curious as to what the plan is to address the cap issue is going to be.

EMcx2

Dec 11, 2021
Long-time watcher here:

I, of coarse, know nothing but I doubt they would dump 2 quality forwards. I think they have more depth amongst the D-men. Also, Dadonov was brought in to help cure the power play. Seems like the power play still needs all the help it can get.

If I were GM, Theodore and his 5.2 million salary would be the first out of the building. To my eye, his occasional offense doesn't make-up for his frequent turnovers and mediocre defense. Theodore would probably bring a better draft pick on the trade market. That would leave Pietrangelo, Martinez, McNabb, Whiteclould, Hague plus Hutton and/or Coghlan to fill the last spot.

If the traded both Smith and Theodore they would have about $2 mil for another forward.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
upload_2021-12-11_15-8-10.png

Ideally Dadonov & Janmark would move but that still has them just over... interesting question.

Reactions: Howitzer66

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
With everybody healthy, Vegas would have a 16F9DG2 roster and be 10.2M over the cap. Lets clean up a little:

Bischoff sent down.
Amadio waived + sent down.
Janmark traded.
One of Smith/Dadonov traded.

Now we have a 23-player roster that is 1.7M over the cap.

Lets waive + send down Hutton so there's 7D. Now that's 22 players and 1M over the cap.

So yeah, not needed to move anybody significant other than Smith/Dadonov if the situation arises.

20 player roster would be under the cap, or trade somebody like Carrier for 21 player roster, or McNabb for a 22 player roster.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
View attachment 490030
Ideally Dadonov & Janmark would move but that still has them just over... interesting question.

There's no need for them to carry 3 scratches. And Carrier isn't worth 1.4 so he could be traded too.

Personally I'd move Pacioretty and Carrier. Waive Kolesar and Howden. Re-sign Smith (5x4.5?).

What I expect them to do? Trade Smith + Janmark and waive Howden and Brooks.

Reactions: willy702

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
There's no need for them to carry 3 scratches. And Carrier isn't worth 1.4 so he could be traded too.

Personally I'd move Pacioretty and Carrier. Waive Kolesar and Howden. Re-sign Smith (5x4.5?).

What I expect them to do? Trade Smith + Janmark and waive Howden and Brooks.

I know Smith has a history of one up and one down year, and is UFA, so next year is technically one where he'd be moved, but has anyone watched him. If he'll take like 5 x 5, he's a huge bargain. I'd lose Dadanov plus some of the easily replaceable plugs like Koleslaw, Howden, Patrick + Janmark (though he's better lately). Cap going up 1M too.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I know Smith has a history of one up and one down year, and is UFA, so next year is technically one where he'd be moved, but has anyone watched him. If he'll take like 5 x 5, he's a huge bargain. I'd lose Dadanov plus some of the easily replaceable plugs like Koleslaw, Howden, Patrick + Janmark (though he's better lately). Cap going up 1M too.

I'd really hate to lose Smith for the playoffs, his production in the regular season doesn't matter that much. This team has shown this season like almost all good teams that they can find goals when they need them from lesser resources during the regular season, but get to the playoffs and they are far better off with good 2-way players. I think the importance of the Misfits line in playoff hockey cannot be underestimated. We all had valid worries about those guys in the regular season last year but they were the best line in the playoffs and were consistently good.

That all being said I doubt anyone wants Dadanov at his contract, Smith is a lot more valuable as a trade piece with the expiring deal and potential for being signed for less in the future. If they are willing to do deals that get rid of Dadanov and Janmark that are like the MAF deal with no other loss of assets I could see them doing those and then just playing cap gymnastics until the playoffs start.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Janmark, with the Boychuk contract coming from our friends in Buffalo.

Plus some waivers magic and - let's face it more LTIR pain.

Also worth noting is that Khudobin is available on waivers, and should a team pick him up and flip him at 50% he's only a 1.7m cap hit.

Last edited:

HanTykje

Jan 8, 2022
Norway
www.instagram.com
In the light of the new contracts extension, i think Laurent Brossoit, and Dadonov? Since its only -7,2 i cap space?
Logan Thompson takes Borssoits place. It will help the team for this season so for we see what happens in the summer?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
In the light of the new contracts extension, i think Laurent Brossoit, and Dadonov? Since its only -7,2 i cap space?
Logan Thompson takes Borssoits place. It will help the team for this season so for we see what happens in the summer?

Wouldn't be a bad idea but I have a hard time imagining Brossoit goes this year. He seems like a good option to trade over the summer, but this isn't a staff who trusts rookies to do anything so I can't see him going now unless someone really wants him and overpays badly for him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I wouldn't expect anything sexy until the offseason, if they do clear a bunch of cap. Most likely cap shaving moves IMO:

Dadonov traded
Janmark traded
Brossoit traded
Hutton waived
Amadio waived
Brooks waived (when he comes off his conditioning stint)

They would take full advantage of the taxi squad situation. Maybe even Coghlan gets dealt to shave a bit of cap off in order to keep someone else (much to the delight of @IceNeophyte )

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The longer this goes on, the more I'm wondering how bad is the market for Dadonov? He's clearly everyone's first choice to move but he's been dead production wise since mid-December with 2 goals/5 assists in last 16 games from a guy you pretty much need to get offense out of to make him valuable. He's very much the kind of guy you think can get moved as long as a team retains, but that will hurt even more to get a 3rd team to handle the retention for VGK. Nobody really wants Smith to get traded, but if the asking price to take on Dadonov just worsens that might be the only way to make it work. Either that or just go Kucherov style into the playoffs which isn't ideal, but could end up being the best option especially if the club is looking at Eichel as a long-term competitive solution.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I wouldn't expect anything sexy until the offseason, if they do clear a bunch of cap. Most likely cap shaving moves IMO:

Dadonov traded
Janmark traded
Brossoit traded
Hutton waived
Amadio waived
Brooks waived (when he comes off his conditioning stint)

They would take full advantage of the taxi squad situation. Maybe even Coghlan gets dealt to shave a bit of cap off in order to keep someone else (much to the delight of @IceNeophyte )

I would trade Smith and Dadonov now. Make sure Dadonov and his 5 are off next year's books.

Use the Smith return to get a third team to hold half of Dadonov's contract. If you need attach Coghlan as a sweetener. We re-signed McNabb and have Miromanov and Korczak who will need games next season, and they can re-sign Hutton if they're really worried.

The forward group this season is still potent and there's breathing room and they're losing Smith and need to trade Dadonov in the offseason anyway.

Offseason trade Brossoit and negotiate hardball or get them to buy in enough to sign Hague and Roy for 2.25x2 each.

We should be able to skate by with that. Re-sign Howden, Kolesar to fill out the roster.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I would trade Smith and Dadonov now. Make sure Dadonov and his 5 are off next year's books.

Use the Smith return to get a third team to hold half of Dadonov's contract. If you need attach Coghlan as a sweetener. We re-signed McNabb and have Miromanov and Korczak who will need games next season, and they can re-sign Hutton if they're really worried.

The forward group this season is still potent and there's breathing room and they're losing Smith and need to trade Dadonov in the offseason anyway.

Offseason trade Brossoit and negotiate hardball or get them to buy in enough to sign Hague and Roy for 2.25x2 each.

We should be able to skate by with that. Re-sign Howden, Kolesar to fill out the roster.

There's no reason to move both Smith and Dadonov now. You move Smith (or Pacioretty) now along with Janmark or Brossoit. After waiving Brooks, Amadio, and Coghlan that's enough cap space for Eichel. Then we'd also be able to trade for an LTIR contract like Kesler and add a rental or two at the deadline like Pavelski. That way you aren't taking 2 top 6 wings out before a Cup run and you don't have to pay to get someone to take Dadonov's extra year.

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
It is crazy how everybody are moving franchise's all-time points leader in playoffs if and when the target is to have success in playoffs. Reilly Smith isn't going anywhere, trust me.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It is crazy how everybody are moving franchise's all-time points leader in playoffs if and when the target is to have success in playoffs. Reilly Smith isn't going anywhere, trust me.

Yeah absolutely. He's way too valuable in the playoffs. I'd only consider sending him out if he made it 100% clear he wanted to leave next season in free agency, but I just can't see him wanting that.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
As I think about it, how about a trade of:
Dadonov
Brossoit
Coghlan

to the Coyotes for whatever filler they want to give us? My concern about Dadonov has been who would take him? He's not really a reliable enough scorer for the teams who miss out on TDL to take him with another year to go at 5m. Feels like he's gotta go to a bottom feeder with room. Ottawa won't want him back so its a limited market and the Coyotes made it clear they are open to do deals like this so they must be getting a lot of good offers and VGK needs to win a bidding battle. However, if you add Brossoit they can stop pretending Wedgewood is a #1 NHL goalie and get something at least respectable for next year while they try to get the prospect to take over the role. Brossoit gets a starter job in a contract year so he just might do well there. And while Coghlan isn't something you'd give away, he's a regular starter in Arizona and gets them something of value that isn't a valuable pick.

My worry is that this org just refuses to accept the "risk" of using an untested player like Logan. If they did a reality check they'd realize if Lehner is out the prospects for the team aren't much better with Brossoit than Thompson. So why keep him if he's the solution to your cap problems?

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Here's hoping he'd take a hometown discount, so to speak, in return for more years on his new contract.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Dadonov
Brossoit
Coghlan

to the Coyotes for whatever filler they want to give us? My concern about Dadonov has been who would take him? He's not really a reliable enough scorer for the teams who miss out on TDL to take him with another year to go at 5m. Feels like he's gotta go to a bottom feeder with room. Ottawa won't want him back so its a limited market and the Coyotes made it clear they are open to do deals like this so they must be getting a lot of good offers and VGK needs to win a bidding battle. However, if you add Brossoit they can stop pretending Wedgewood is a #1 NHL goalie and get something at least respectable for next year while they try to get the prospect to take over the role. Brossoit gets a starter job in a contract year so he just might do well there. And while Coghlan isn't something you'd give away, he's a regular starter in Arizona and gets them something of value that isn't a valuable pick.

My worry is that this org just refuses to accept the "risk" of using an untested player like Logan. If they did a reality check they'd realize if Lehner is out the prospects for the team aren't much better with Brossoit than Thompson. So why keep him if he's the solution to your cap problems?

Maybe throw in a 2nd rounder in 2023 plus the above for Lawson Crouse

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Dadonov
Brossoit
Coghlan

Arizona is the perfect dumping grounds for a guy like Dadonov. The problem is his NTC probably stops that idea dead in it's tracks.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad