Salary Cap: Who goes?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The longer this goes on, the more I'm wondering how bad is the market for Dadonov? He's clearly everyone's first choice to move but he's been dead production wise since mid-December with 2 goals/5 assists in last 16 games from a guy you pretty much need to get offense out of to make him valuable. He's very much the kind of guy you think can get moved as long as a team retains, but that will hurt even more to get a 3rd team to handle the retention for VGK. Nobody really wants Smith to get traded, but if the asking price to take on Dadonov just worsens that might be the only way to make it work. Either that or just go Kucherov style into the playoffs which isn't ideal, but could end up being the best option especially if the club is looking at Eichel as a long-term competitive solution.

This is what I would try to do. I don’t see Tampa having any regrets about it. And at least in this scenario we get to keep Smith for one last playoff run, which is the time we need him the most anyway.

There is talk now of even Martinez possibility being traded with our shaky defense. No thanks.

No chance this happens, for several reasons. Players want to play. This isn't like Kucherov where he might've dragged it out an extra week or two. If Vegas wanted to do that, they wouldn't be advertising the fact the Eichel is cleared for contact on social media.

The NHLPA would file a grievance & the league would be forced to take circumvention measures. The rest of the teams aren't going to sit on their hands watching Vegas thumb their nose this blatantly at the system if that happened.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
No chance this happens, for several reasons. Players want to play. This isn't like Kucherov where he might've dragged it out an extra week or two. If Vegas wanted to do that, they wouldn't be advertising the fact the Eichel is cleared for contact on social media.

The NHLPA would file a grievance & the league would be forced to take circumvention measures. The rest of the teams aren't going to sit on their hands watching Vegas thumb their nose this blatantly at the system if that happened.

I don't think Eichel was ever a consideration for this, it was more a question of if they could pull it off with Patches or if Stone had been on LTIR. Its pretty unlikely they would go to this option, a move feels very likely in the coming weeks.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

You don’t think Tampa blatantly thumbed their nose at the system and got away with it? They added insult to injury by beating everyone they faced.

I do agree with you that there is no chance this happens because of what we’re seeing take place right now.

Of course Eichel would want to play, but he also would want to win. Would he want to see us trade valuable teammates away for nothing when they can help him win? But this is moot because as you said, it won’t happen anyway.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Barf. Even if that trade was appealing, VGK can't take back anyone who they can't bury their full cap hit in the minors.
The idea was creating about 5 mill in roster space without actually reducing the roster size and hurting your depth like dealing smith or Dadynov. I guess it c9mes down to if you can move Dadynov and if you felt Patches Smith and player x are better than Smith, Rakell, Dadynov. Honestly not sure who player X would be for you guys. Maybe you have a top 9 forward making less than 2 mill in your system that's just buried?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The idea was creating about 5 mill in roster space without actually reducing the roster size and hurting your depth like dealing smith or Dadynov. I guess it c9mes down to if you can move Dadynov and if you felt Patches Smith and player x are better than Smith, Rakell, Dadynov. Honestly not sure who player X would be for you guys. Maybe you have a top 9 forward making less than 2 mill in your system that's just buried?

We have 2 or 3 young forwards on the AHL team who have slotted into the third line and done okay there. What we really lack is quality defensive depth.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
We have 2 or 3 young forwards on the AHL team who have slotted into the third line and done okay there. What we really lack is quality defensive depth.
Fair enough. Not sure how you address that. My thought was just trying not to hurt the Offense depth as much.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You don’t think Tampa blatantly thumbed their nose at the system and got away with it? They added insult to injury by beating everyone they faced.

I do agree with you that there is no chance this happens because of what we’re seeing take place right now.

Of course Eichel would want to play, but he also would want to win. Would he want to see us trade valuable teammates away for nothing when they can help him win? But this is moot because as you said, it won’t happen anyway.

Of course I think Tampa thumbed their nose at the rules, which is exactly why the VGK couldn't get away with it this year, for this amount of time.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Vegas is screwed, they can't take back a nickel in money unless it's a player who can be sent to the AHL making less than $1M. Plus that trade proposal was garbage.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Vegas is screwed, they can't take back a nickel in money unless it's a player who can be sent to the AHL making less than $1M. Plus that trade proposal was garbage.
Depends on what the market is for dumping salary IMO. I don't know what that market looks like but the whole league knows they have to dump salary. I'm not sure they won't have to pay to move players. Rakell @50% is likely worth around a first rounder. He can still play in Vegas top 6 and provide around 50 pts maybe more given his likely linemates. Maybe it's not a complete deal but I think it makes some sense for a contending team depending on how they view the rest of the depth. If like you said the call ups are sufficient then it's probably not the way theyd want to go.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Depends on what the market is for dumping salary IMO. I don't know what that market looks like but the whole league knows they have to dump salary. I'm not sure they won't have to pay to move players. Rakell @50% is likely worth around a first rounder. He can still play in Vegas top 6 and provide around 50 pts maybe more given his likely linemates. Maybe it's not a complete deal but I think it makes some sense for a contending team depending on how they view the rest of the depth. If like you said the call ups are sufficient then it's probably not the way theyd want to go.

They're going to take it in the shorts, no other way around it, which is why taking back anyone with salary even @50% isn't an option. They will be ok this year, but the bottom 6 next year could get dicey.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
They're going to take it in the shorts, no other way around it, which is why taking back anyone with salary even @50% isn't an option. They will be ok this year, but the bottom 6 next year could get dicey.
It's nets them about the same space as moving Dadynov with no cap coming back. In one scenario you lose a top 6 Winger and the other you downgrade a top 6 winger. It will be interesting to see what they finally do.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It's nets them about the same space as moving Dadynov with no cap coming back. In one scenario you lose a top 6 Winger and the other you downgrade a top 6 winger. It will be interesting to see what they finally do.

But Rakell is not a top 6 winger on a contending team at this point. Which is why I said the trade was garbage. I'd rather just trade Smith for a draft pick & keep Patches.

The Knights are gonna struggle to get someone to take Dadonov, frankly I don't see it unless they add a huge sweetener. Janmark is way more likely to be dealt.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Any trade will be garbage because our GM spends cap like a college student with his first credit cards, and the bill is coming due.

At some point the rest of the NHL is going to realize what I think most of us already know. Pre-2017 season this GM/management core was brilliant, made all the right moves and set up this team for a long run of contending. Post the start of that season they have been bordering on idiots with the best trades being "fair" and the worst trades being horrendous. Yeah some deals have been ok but they were on the small scale of importance but everything else is bad deals and overpays of talent for no apparent reason. To the rest of the league the balance of this is wow you guys have a great management, but to me and I think a lot of us this is a wow we could have seen soooo much more if we cut these clowns loose a few years ago.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
But Rakell is not a top 6 winger on a contending team at this point. Which is why I said the trade was garbage. I'd rather just trade Smith for a draft pick & keep Patches.

The Knights are gonna struggle to get someone to take Dadonov, frankly I don't see it unless they add a huge sweetener. Janmark is way more likely to be dealt.
Strictly speaking Rakell is still top 6 player. Between production and usage. Granted he is still on the lower end but he also plays for the Ducks. Who have struggles at times, even this year, to produce.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Strictly speaking Rakell is still top 6 player. Between production and usage. Granted he is still on the lower end but he also plays for the Ducks. Who have struggles at times, even this year, to produce.

I don't buy it. No Cup contending team is going to trade prime assets for Rakell thinking they can use him to plug a hole in their top 6. Maybe Anaheim gets a 3rd for him if they're lucky.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
How much cap space does Vegas need to activate Eichel?
I read elsewhere ~5M. Of course any salary they unload will be about half the AAV off the cap. So if they find a taker for Dad, about 2.5M off the cap.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
At some point the rest of the NHL is going to realize what I think most of us already know. Pre-2017 season this GM/management core was brilliant, made all the right moves and set up this team for a long run of contending. Post the start of that season they have been bordering on idiots with the best trades being "fair" and the worst trades being horrendous. Yeah some deals have been ok but they were on the small scale of importance but everything else is bad deals and overpays of talent for no apparent reason. To the rest of the league the balance of this is wow you guys have a great management, but to me and I think a lot of us this is a wow we could have seen soooo much more if we cut these clowns loose a few years ago.

Other than building the inaugural roster, McPhee is the trash GM caps fans have known for years. I also believe that Foley's spoiled billionaire attitude and a lack of pro ownership experience has highly contributed to the moronic desperate moves that this team makes chasing the cup.

I think we need to suck like the original plan and get legit generational talent through the draft. Vegas isn't a bad team at all, but I don't think it's a team that has true elite talent on its roster like Tampa, Colorado, Boston, Florida, and Toronto. And those teams except for Tampa haven't won either. Maybe it's because they are top heavy and weak in some areas and Vegas is above average across the board but those teams have 2 or 3 core players that I acknowledge Vegas doesn't have anyone as good. We're like the Islanders with worse coaching imho

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It might be better to waive Dadonov & buy him out in the offseason. They save a little cap this year, and a lot next year (only a devilish 666k cap hit, followed by 2.17m in 23-24).

Sounds crazy to keep the rest of his 3.875m that can't be buried on the cap, but if they shave off cap elsewhere...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Absolutely HAVE to? Around 7 million probably.

Assuming Martinez comes off LTIR also.
I read elsewhere ~5M. Of course any salary they unload will be about half the AAV off the cap. So if they find a taker for Dad, about 2.5M off the cap.

Interesting, figured the Devils may be hovering around, but I can’t see anything making sense. If Brossoit was a pending UFA, he would’ve been a perfect stop gap goalie to keep our rookies in the AHL.

Dadonov is intriguing, but I can’t see how it makes sense for the Devils. They can’t really afford to add another 5 million forward to the group next year without sending a contract back and Johnsson/Tatar make too much for Vegas.

Kuokkanen is an option, but only makes 1.8, which still doesn’t fix the issue of having too much money tied up in Johnsson/Tatar/Wood/Zacha next year. Zacha is the only other forward that may be moved, but makes no sense for the Devils to do that for what essentially is a 2022-23 rental for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad