Salary Cap: Who goes?

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Thinking it'll be Stone's back at who goes... to LTIR. I worry about that for the length of his contract. Backs are not fun.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
If anything, they should find a way to re-sign him.

Absolutely - frankly, I see very little out of either Dadanov or Pacioretty that make me think Smith should go before them. I know Patches is streaky, but if he's not scoring, why not lose his 7+ million if someone has to go. I'm sure there's a market for him.

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
Just LTIR Stone or Pacioretty. Pretty much every insider has said if someone for sure is going its gonna be Smith because we wouldn't need to pay a team to take him.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Once Eichel is ready then you can afford to put Stone's offense on LTIR. I'm sure Patches will be hurt again shortly also. Neither of them will ever get through an entire playoffs healthy.

Even if we get a sucker for Dadonov between now and July 1 can they fit Smith under the cap to re-sign him?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Once Eichel is ready then you can afford to put Stone's offense on LTIR. I'm sure Patches will be hurt again shortly also. Neither of them will ever get through an entire playoffs healthy.

Even if we get a sucker for Dadonov between now and July 1 can they fit Smith under the cap to re-sign him?

Smith can likely only stay if Dadonov, Janmark, Brossoit and one of Pacioretty/Marchessault/Martinez all aren't on the team next season.

And he's willing to sign between 4 and 5.

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019

GMs around the league believe we're gonna LTIR Stone. "Stone has a degenerative back injury"

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Smith can likely only stay if Dadonov, Janmark, Brossoit and one of Pacioretty/Marchessault/Martinez all aren't on the team next season.

And he's willing to sign between 4 and 5.

Pacioretty and I'll take it. If he takes say 4.5 throw in an extra year on the back end.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Pacioretty and I'll take it. If he takes say 4.5 throw in an extra year on the back end.

I don't mind the Pacioretty idea for next season because it is the final year of the contract and we could probably swing one decently nice piece while clearing more than enough room to not be right up against the cap again, or we could possibly sign Hague and Roy to slightly longer deals.

And re-signing Smith is fine but I don't support giving an extra year on the back to anybody over 30 already.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You could make an equal case for/against trading Patches, WB & Martinez.

GMs around the league believe we're gonna LTIR Stone. "Stone has a degenerative back injury"

And then all of a sudden they make some trades to clear cap space on deadline day. Psyche.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I don't mind the Pacioretty idea for next season because it is the final year of the contract and we could probably swing one decently nice piece while clearing more than enough room to not be right up against the cap again, or we could possibly sign Hague and Roy to slightly longer deals.

And re-signing Smith is fine but I don't support giving an extra year on the back to anybody over 30 already.

He's 29 and I wasn't thinking of 7 or 8 years like Petro. I was thinking 5 x 4 instead of 6 x 3.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
You could make an equal case for/against trading Patches, WB & Martinez.

And then all of a sudden they make some trades to clear cap space on deadline day. Psyche.

Wild Bill has a lot of value to us, even if he's supplanted at 2C, as a top six LW. I don't think they should look at trading him just yet.

If he continues to struggle offensively into next season I think the possibility opens up to trade at a higher value with Brisson, Morozov, Dorofeyev, Dean, etc. being closer to NHL shots and Roy, Patrick, Howden getting another season to prove something more. Also to see which level Stephenson will show up consistently.

With the news of a possible 85-90% captain for five years though, I think keeping the misfits together one more season is more likely for team morale.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Wild Bill has a lot of value to us, even if he's supplanted at 2C, as a top six LW. I don't think they should look at trading him just yet.

If he continues to struggle offensively into next season I think the possibility opens up to trade at a higher value with Brisson, Morozov, Dorofeyev, Dean, etc. being closer to NHL shots and Roy, Patrick, Howden getting another season to prove something more. Also to see which level Stephenson will show up consistently.

With the news of a possible 85-90% captain for five years though, I think keeping the misfits together one more season is more likely for team morale.

You could argue that
Marchessault-Eichel
Pacioretty-Stephenson
would be 2 very lethal scoring lines, and Roy is more than ready to take 3C full time.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He's 29 and I wasn't thinking of 7 or 8 years like Petro. I was thinking 5 x 4 instead of 6 x 3.

He's seven weeks away from being 31.

5x4 works for me as the high end but I wouldn't go above 5 for any amount of years.

I'm not big on contracts going beyond 35, four years is the most I would go and people have constantly said he likes it here and has bought in and with no state tax, I would do his current contract for four more years as our top end and try for a little less for four years.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
You could argue that
Marchessault-Eichel
Pacioretty-Stephenson
would be 2 very lethal scoring lines, and Roy is more than ready to take 3C full time.

And you could argue that Eichel makes Pacioretty superfluous, plus he has trade value and we could use some kids on ELC's to help with cap issues and to give us flexibility.

And yes, Roy is ready for 3C, he already basically is, and he's doing pretty well considering he plays with Janmark and Koleslaw as his wings.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
He's seven weeks away from being 31.

5x4 works for me as the high end but I wouldn't go above 5 for any amount of years.

I'm not big on contracts going beyond 35, four years is the most I would go and people have constantly said he likes it here and has bought in and with no state tax, I would do his current contract for four more years as our top end and try for a little less for four years.

I would think he could get 7 x 4 or 5 from another team, here's hoping he'll take the hometown discount, especially as there is no state tax and he'll likely have more opportunity here for off-ice income.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I would think he could get 7 x 4 or 5 from another team, here's hoping he'll take the hometown discount, especially as there is no state tax and he'll likely have more opportunity here for off-ice income.

I don't know if attractive enough destinations would offer five years or 7 million to pry him away.

The Rangers will be linked but they will have to work to give him any more than 6 and the cost of living in Manhattan and taxes in NY wouldn't make it enough difference over a place he's comfortable, is emotionally connected to and his best friends are at, in my opinion.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
And you could argue that Eichel makes Pacioretty superfluous, plus he has trade value and we could use some kids on ELC's to help with cap issues and to give us flexibility.

And yes, Roy is ready for 3C, he already basically is, and he's doing pretty well considering he plays with Janmark and Koleslaw as his wings.

Eichel has a great shot, but you want him setting up scorers. We'll see how he does with Patches & Dadonov but I suspect Marchy would be a 40 goal scorer on his line (maybe 50 with a shooter tutor :sarcasm:). The more options for a new top line, the better IMO. Just look at how Buffalo struggled to get a top line going consistently with Skinner & Hall.

7 million for a guy that's top 10 in goals per game the past 3 years is decent value, especially considering he was playing some of the best hockey of his career before his clean up surgery. Most of the time, you trade away a guy like that and you immediately regret it.

Reactions: Vegas07

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Eichel has a great shot, but you want him setting up scorers. We'll see how he does with Patches & Dadonov but I suspect Marchy would be a 40 goal scorer on his line (maybe 50 with a shooter tutor :sarcasm:). The more options for a new top line, the better IMO. Just look at how Buffalo struggled to get a top line going consistently with Skinner & Hall.

7 million for a guy that's top 10 in goals per game the past 3 years is decent value, especially considering he was playing some of the best hockey of his career before his clean up surgery. Most of the time, you trade away a guy like that and you immediately regret it.

Pacioretty is streaky, I'm not convinced he'll be keeping up that pace for long and he well could be at this point a luxury we can afford to part with. If we LTIR Stone though it's a moot point. I didn't say I want to lose him, only that if we need to clear 7M cap to me that's our best option.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
I'd be shocked if Smith signed for less than 6x6 or 5x6. I was going to say basically the same as Vegas Knight in my post yesterday. Smith is a very, very good 200' player. Every team should be trying to sign him. Having said that, do you really want to tie down another 31 year old to such a long contract?

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I'd be shocked if Smith signed for less than 6x6 or 5x6. I was going to say basically the same as Vegas Knight in my post yesterday. Smith is a very, very good 200' player. Every team should be trying to sign him. Having said that, do you really want to tie down another 31 year old to such a long contract?

No, I don't. But I'd sure try to sell him on taking less term (frankly, I'd be OK with say 5.5 x 4) to stay with a Cup contender, playing with his buddies and Eichel/Stone in a low tax jurisdiction with more potential for off-ice income, rather than with a team who really wants him like the Rangers with high taxes and bad weather.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

There's potentially a lot of good wingers available this summer (Gaudreau, Pavelski, Forsberg, Palat, Burakovsky, Nichushkin) and not much cap to go around. How many competitive teams can find 6m for a 2nd line winger?

I think there's a good chance he'll get a lot of 5m x 5 offers, which would make a 4.5mx4 offer to stay in Vegas appealing.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

I don’t think Eichel makes Pacioretty superfluous. If anything the last 2 postseasons have shown that we need more offense. Vancouver, Dallas and Montreal all shut us down and shut down our power play. We lost to those teams because we couldn’t score.

Also Minnesota shut us out twice in the first round (when Pacioretty wasn’t playing).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad