Salary Cap: Who goes?

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I don’t think Eichel makes Pacioretty superfluous. If anything the last 2 postseasons have shown that we need more offense. Vancouver, Dallas and Montreal all shut us down and shut down our power play. We lost to those teams because we couldn’t score.

Also Minnesota shut us out twice in the first round (when Pacioretty wasn’t playing).

I think people are overrating what Pacioretty is bringing for his 7 million. I'm not arguing that we aren't better off with him, and if Stone is Kucherov'ed the point for this year is moot, but for next year he's on the last year of his deal, is always getting hurt he's a streaky scorer, is probably on the decline due to age, doesn't really bring much if he isn't scoring goals, etc. I'm not saying he's Kolesar (who to my mind is barely an AHL'er much less the NHL), only that if it's Smith or Pacioretty who stays, it's clear who I and most here favor.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It depends on what the team wants to do going forward beyond this season but if they have other GMs believe they can put Stone on LTIR maybe they could get actual value if they do try to make moves.

Reactions: Vegas07

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think people are overrating what Pacioretty is bringing for his 7 million. I'm not arguing that we aren't better off with him, and if Stone is Kucherov'ed the point for this year is moot, but for next year he's on the last year of his deal, is always getting hurt he's a streaky scorer, is probably on the decline due to age, doesn't really bring much if he isn't scoring goals, etc. I'm not saying he's Kolesar (who to my mind is barely an AHL'er much less the NHL), only that if it's Smith or Pacioretty who stays, it's clear who I and most here favor.

I think most here wouldn't be too bent out of shape if Patches was traded. Most astute hockey fans can separate what makes for a good playoff performer compared to a regular season performer and its pretty clear Smith>Patches in the playoffs and playoff success is really all that people care about.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
It depends on what the team wants to do going forward beyond this season but if they have other GMs believe they can put Stone on LTIR maybe they could get actual value if they do try to make moves.

I was thinking that too. You don’t want other teams thinking you’re in a desperate situation. Hard to get good value if they think that.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Nobody may be going this season now but this 21-22 forward group probably looks radically different to whatever the 23-24 team is after next season.

22 UFA- Smith, Janmark
23 UFA- Pacioretty, Dadonov
24 UFA- Marchessault, Stephenson, Carrier

Unless Roy signs long term this offseason as an RFA he would be on this list as well. Patrick, Howden, Roy and Kolesar all have arbitration rights the next two offseasons.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Nobody may be going this season now but this 21-22 forward group probably looks radically different to whatever the 23-24 team is after next season.

22 UFA- Smith, Janmark

Unless Roy signs long term this offseason as an RFA he would be on this list as well. Patrick, Howden, Roy and Kolesar all have arbitration rights the next two offseasons.

Howden kind of reminds me of when they traded for Cousins and he did so well that they couldn't afford to qualify him. Hopefully he's another Nosek at least.

Here's to 3 more years of Marchessault & Stephenson being bargain contracts. Maybe they can convert Cormier into a superstar forward, since they have better success with developing the dmen prospects. :sarcasm:

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I just wanna say I love the whole Cap Circumvention thing with Stone. I think the second best team won last year because of it so I would love to see you guys completely go over board this year and add a whole 3rd line of players and just throw them on LTIR also....dress them just for the playoffs. Lets Go Knights baby!

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I just wanna say I love the whole Cap Circumvention thing with Stone. I think the second best team won last year because of it so I would love to see you guys completely go over board this year and add a whole 3rd line of players and just throw them on LTIR also....dress them just for the playoffs. Lets Go Knights baby!
Oh the salt.....

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

22 UFA- Smith, Janmark

All except maybe Roy are easily replaced.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
All except maybe Roy are easily replaced.

Roy has been a successful Swiss army knife player who is very valuable and not so easy to find.

Patrick actually has Smith like advanced stats, if he can get some more points in his game he can be truly fantastic, and he's shown he has the skill so it could still fall for him with an extended period with good linemates or linemates with which he could develop chemistry.

Howden certainly hasn't been easily replaceable as a bottom six player for us.

Even Kolesar provides at least some of the physicality we sorely lack now and we may rue at playoff time.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Roy has been a successful Swiss army knife player who is very valuable and not so easy to find.

Patrick actually has Smith like advanced stats, if he can get some more points in his game he can be truly fantastic, and he's shown he has the skill so it could still fall for him with an extended period with good linemates or linemates with which he could develop chemistry.

Howden certainly hasn't been easily replaceable as a bottom six player for us.

Even Kolesar provides at least some of the physicality we sorely lack now and we may rue at playoff time.

I like Howden's development, he sucked with NYR, probably says something about why we're always a top team. Patrick has some moves, he was the #2 pick in the draft, but he's soft as Kleenex and one hit away from a career threatening concussion. Kolesar is a liability for the most part. I didn't say they don't help us, primarily Howden, but all 3 are replaceable by any number of players.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I like Howden's development, he sucked with NYR, probably says something about why we're always a top team. Patrick has some moves, he was the #2 pick in the draft, but he's soft as Kleenex and one hit away from a career threatening concussion. Kolesar is a liability for the most part. I didn't say they don't help us, primarily Howden, but all 3 are replaceable by any number of players.

I just don't think they are as easily replaced like that, outside of Kolesar (and Carrier) if you can find big speedy wingers who can work hard, provide energy, deliver hits and fight when necessary.

Roy is big part of the team, Howden could be breaking out and Patrick might have more there and at the least is a very versatile bottom six forward you could put in most all situations.

And the three of them are still on the younger side so help us on the age front, and shouldn't be so prohibitive to keep a few more seasons.

The more I think of them setting up the next few seasons, I think a Pacioretty trade in the summer seems more likely.

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
And two of the three are near minimum salary, the other is 1.2. Losing them wouldnt clear cap.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Adam Brooks.

Just placed on waivers.

Was it you who brought up Holtby earlier?

If Lehner has surgery he could easily miss the rest of the regular season and I think Holtby (2 million) and Anderson (750k) would be great, cheap pickups who also allow us more room to get a Martinez insurance rental.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
That was very emphatic. They don't normally comment at all on it, let alone in very clear and strong language.

Even then, I still don't believe him. Same thing happens when gms say that a coach is safe, but gets fired a few days later.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Was it you who brought up Holtby earlier?

If Lehner has surgery he could easily miss the rest of the regular season and I think Holtby (2 million) and Anderson (750k) would be great, cheap pickups who also allow us more room to get a Martinez insurance rental.

Yeah but Dallas is crawling back into the Wildcard picture.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad