Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Put me down for someone who believes that we will draft QB at the #2 spot if that is where we end up drafting (I am starting to here that we will definitely be trying to swap to 3oa with Ott but then nothing too solid about it yet. I did here from an Ott scout that they are going to be trying to move up and are going to be willing to move some real value to do so. That could end up meaning that they want to get up to #1 but again, just talk now. I asked if there was any league rumors about Stutzle being seen as more valuable than QB in general among the NHL scouts and he told me that they are a coin toss. After talking with Laidlaw he said that he felt that Raymond or even Drysdale could go at #3 from what he has heard. Should be a fun day. If I hear anything with any substance behind it I will post it but as of now I still think it is anyones guess. IF we draft at #2 I can't see us passing up on QB as much as I would want us to do so.

Laffy
QB
Stutzle
Rossi
Drysdale
Raymond
Perfetti
Askarov
Holtz
Sandy
etc

I guess that would be my final though it has a couple of reaches.

I believe that we will take Neighbors with our #35 pick. I don't see Wallinder still being there and Poirier has a couple of issues imo.
This is no time to get cute. Just take Byfield at #2 overall.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I will trust the Kings over the opinion of us on HF Boards. I really hope the pick is Byfield because that means they see the same potential that I do. But Stutzle is so exciting and a highlight reel waiting to happen if they go that route then they must see a lot there and have big concerns about Byfield. But imo Byfield is too rare of a talent to pass on unless you have real concerns that go beyond production and physical talent.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
had a laugh at this in the byfield thread "This thread is hilarious. Imagine a team picking at #2. Well we’ve got this 17 year old 6’4 centre who scored nearly 2.00ppg in the OHL... BUT he was invisible in a tourney dominated by 19 year olds, so let’s go with someone else "

If it was just that he was invisible it would be a moot point, but by reports during and after it became clear very quickly that he was struggling. Yeah, I know. A kid struggling at something isn't panic inducing but in a world where you must impress when not impressing (behind the scenes) there wasn't anyone trying to give him addaboy there either.

It's inevitable and poor taste to have to analyze a 17 year old child but when cutting hairs you have to find long and short. He didn't make much of an impression in the intensity department and it brought questions as to his future against competition who were also large and fast.

It's a reasonable question to have when you have spent your whole life being larger and faster than your competition. Do you have what it takes mentally to fail? Can you handle the pressure on the ice when someone is pacing you? All of his highlights were when nobody was draped on him. ALL OF THEM. When anyone applies on ice pressure or bodies him up he is an entirely different player. Mistake prone. Slow processing.

I'm still 50/50.

Reactions: Rorschach

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If it was just that he was invisible it would be a moot point, but by reports during and after it became clear very quickly that he was struggling. Yeah, I know. A kid struggling at something isn't panic inducing but in a world where you must impress when not impressing (behind the scenes) there wasn't anyone trying to give him addaboy there either.

It's inevitable and poor taste to have to analyze a 17 year old child but when cutting hairs you have to find long and short. He didn't make much of an impression in the intensity department and it brought questions as to his future against competition who were also large and fast.

It's a reasonable question to have when you have spent your whole life being larger and faster than your competition. Do you have what it takes mentally to fail? Can you handle the pressure on the ice when someone is pacing you? All of his highlights were when nobody was draped on him. ALL OF THEM. When anyone applies on ice pressure or bodies him up he is an entirely different player. Mistake prone. Slow processing.

I'm still 50/50.

He averaged about eight minutes per game at the WJC, and Lafreniere was used in a similar role, sparingly playing at the WJC when he was the same age as Byfield, and he produced similar results.

People who put too much stock in a brief tournament are completely inept. I can spout off a list of amazing WJC performers whose careers went nowhere. Do the names Dustin Tokarski or Justin Pogge ring a bell?

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
He averaged about eight minutes per game at the WJC, and Lafreniere was used in a similar role, sparingly playing at the WJC when he was the same age as Byfield, and he produced similar results.

People who put too much stock in a brief tournament are completely inept. I can spout off a list of amazing WJC performers whose careers went nowhere. Do the names Dustin Tokarski or Justin Pogge ring a bell?
Lafreniere was universally lauded for his intensity during his age 17 WJC and I cannot find one thing about anyone questioning him. Also, Lafreniere didn't lose his playing time. He was given a role and he played it. Byfield went from some second line and mostly third line duties to 4th line and ultimately the bench. It's different.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Lafreniere was universally lauded for his intensity during his age 17 WJC and I cannot find one thing about anyone questioning him. Also, Lafreniere didn't lose his playing time. He was given a role and he played it. Byfield went from some second line and mostly third line duties to 4th line and ultimately the bench. It's different.

Sorry, but that’s complete bullshit.
Alexis LaFreniere Responds With Big Game Against Czech Republic

“Alexis LaFreniere had a lot to prove heading into Saturday’s World Junior contest against Czech Republic. He had not recorded any points in the first two Round Robin games. But more importantly, it had appeared that Team Canada coach Tim Hunter had lost faith in the 17-year-old, evidenced by his benching of LaFreniere in the third period against Switzerland.

“We showed him some video from the Denmark game and he was out there skating around like it was a free skate, lots of circles in his game and we weren’t happy with that,” Hunter stated. “And we talked to him about it and we showed him the video and explained it to him. I told him, ‘At the start of the game, you’re going to show me whether you understood this or not and if you don’t we’re going to limit your ice time.’”

Similar to Byfield, Lafreniere barely played and didn’t generate offense when he was the same age as Byfield at the 2019 WJC.

In his first WJC tournament, not long after turning 17, Byfield played 11 minutes in his first game and only took one draw. In his second game he played close to 13 mins in a blowout loss where he played wing again. Third game he played less than nine minutes. Game four he played about 11 minutes, game 5 less than nine minutes, seven minutes in game 6, and he didn’t play in the seventh game.

This is a tournament that is mostly dominated by under 20 year olds, and Byfield was the youngest participant. You putting so much stock into that when he barely even got to play shows how misguided your opinions are.

Given how important the WJC numbers are, I guess the Sabres made the right call in selecting Sam Reinhart ahead of Leon Draisaitl in 2014, right?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sorry, but that’s complete bullshit.
Alexis LaFreniere Responds With Big Game Against Czech Republic

“Alexis LaFreniere had a lot to prove heading into Saturday’s World Junior contest against Czech Republic. He had not recorded any points in the first two Round Robin games. But more importantly, it had appeared that Team Canada coach Tim Hunter had lost faith in the 17-year-old, evidenced by his benching of LaFreniere in the third period against Switzerland.

“We showed him some video from the Denmark game and he was out there skating around like it was a free skate, lots of circles in his game and we weren’t happy with that,” Hunter stated. “And we talked to him about it and we showed him the video and explained it to him. I told him, ‘At the start of the game, you’re going to show me whether you understood this or not and if you don’t we’re going to limit your ice time.’”

Similar to Byfield, Lafreniere barely played and didn’t generate offense when he was the same age as Byfield at the 2019 WJC.

In his first WJC tournament, not long after turning 17, Byfield played 11 minutes in his first game and only took one draw. In his second game he played close to 13 mins in a blowout loss where he played wing again. Third game he played less than nine minutes. Game four he played about 11 minutes, game 5 less than nine minutes, seven minutes in game 6, and he didn’t play in the seventh game.

This is a tournament that is mostly dominated by under 20 year olds, and Byfield was the youngest participant. You putting so much stock into that when he barely even got to play shows how misguided your opinions are.

Given how important the WJC numbers are, I guess the Sabres made the right call in selecting Sam Reinhart ahead of Leon Draisaitl in 2014, right?

Remembering MacKinnon's 1 point in 6 games WJC as well and how glad Edmonton is to have leading scorer RNH.

Age/role matters a LOT in these tourneys and development years between 17-20.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I don't trust his sources. The tweet he is replying to has merit. His sources made claims several weeks ago that LA has decided to go with Stutzle despite Mark Yannetti and Rob Blake saying they haven't started work on the 2nd pick until this past week (after this 2nd series of tweets). He claims that Marco Strum has a lot of weight in drafting, but every interview with Mike Futa and Mark Yannetti disprove that. Also look at the draft table in 2019, he doesn't even have a seat there. He claims that several play in teams have Stutzle or Byfield over Lafreniere. This is a massive claim and does nothing but get attention. Great he has sources. How credible are those sources? They already have been proven wrong about LA stuff, why would we give it credibility?

Again, LA has finally begun looking at the 2nd overall pick this week. There are no valid rumors to which player LA will choose. LA could very well end up with Stutzle as their choice. They could end up with Byfield. Heck, there's a possibility that it's someone else like Raymond. We just don't know. The only thing we know is that LA is looking at 2 players, and that they have started to look at that pick this week. I think we just have to wait and see until a source that has history and credibility on LA or NHL drafting says something, OR AJ is able to get someone else in the industry to support his source. There is a reason no one else in the nhl is not talking about this.
If you think the kings only started to think about who they would pick if they got second this week, then you're very gullible and naive

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I never understand these locals who suddenly inexplicably act like they're the most connected on a completely random team/concern.

This would be like Josh Cooper suddenly having ond to Detroit is a done deal if he doesn't get picked by a team ranking him #1-2 instead.
By that logic, elliotte Friedman can only comment on and have sources connected to the leafs

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
By that logic, elliotte Friedman can only comment on and have sources connected to the leafs

The only thing this guy has ever said in relation to Kings moves in the past is being absolutely certain Sam Gagner was getting traded from the Oilers to the Kings.

You'll forgive me for being a little skeptical that he's suddenly absolutely sure that Stutzle will be a King and is getting defensive when questioned about it.

Fred Roggin has sources in Sudbury that say Quinton Byfield was celebrating extra hard at a Quinceanera when he found out Ottawa is drafting #3, and his friends in Ottawa that he's never mentioned before today are confirming via more anonymous sources that Ottawa has been after him this whole time. Weird huh?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I will trust the Kings over the opinion of us on HF Boards. I really hope the pick is Byfield because that means they see the same potential that I do. But Stutzle is so exciting and a highlight reel waiting to happen if they go that route then they must see a lot there and have big concerns about Byfield. But imo Byfield is too rare of a talent to pass on unless you have real concerns that go beyond production and physical talent.
I dunno, I have seen some people around here be right on target, while the Kings didn't get it right.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
If you think the kings only started to think about who they would pick if they got second this week, then you're very gullible and naive
Rob Blake and Mark Yannetti confirmed this. They stated that since they had time and already had momentum on later picks.

By starting work on the 2nd pick, I mean sitting down with everyone and coming to a decision. That process started now. That’s how LA decides on prospects. Obviously each person has done their homework over the season on each player, but the discussion between each scout and manager just started. That’s how LA selects their prospects.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Rob Blake and Mark Yannetti confirmed this. They stated that since they had time and already had momentum on later picks.

By starting work on the 2nd pick, I mean sitting down with everyone and coming to a decision. That process started now. That’s how LA decides on prospects. Obviously each person has done their homework over the season on each player, but the discussion between each scout and manager just started. That’s how LA selects their prospects.

Complaining about the process 4 months out is freakin' looking in the refrigerator every few minutes when you're not hungry levels of boredom.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Complaining about the process 4 months out is freakin' looking in the refrigerator every few minutes when you're not hungry levels of boredom.

I can't believe this is still going. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It's just arguing for the sake of arguing. Like I literally cannot even begin to understand the thought process, what does anyone stand to gain from trying so f***ing hard to insinuate the Kings are dumb/bad at due diligence and that a local from a market literally as far away as you can be in the NHL is the expert on their draft?

This is so f***ing stupid and I'm just done engaging it. Fine, the Kings suck at due diligence despite their draft history, a guy that's been 100% wrong on everything Kings knows better than anyone else, and we're just a bunch of sunbelt idiots that don't know any better so why fight it?

There's a prospect thread circlejerk for that line of thinking already, just jump into that pit instead, since it's pretty clear this isn't a discussion, it's a monologue.

Edit: ah it's pretty clear now, that poster has convinced himself of Byfield to Ottawa so anything contrary to that narrative is bad. At least it's not senseless, but it's still needlessly aggressive.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Remembering MacKinnon's 1 point in 6 games WJC as well and how glad Edmonton is to have leading scorer RNH.

Age/role matters a LOT in these tourneys and development years between 17-20.
It makes a HUGE difference.

Guys like Lafreniere and Rossi are basically a year older than Byfield. When you look their CHL production when they were Byfield's age it really puts things into perspective.

AT 17 YEARS OLD
Byfield: (DOB Aug 19th)
1.82 Points Per Game (2nd CHL Season)
1pt 7gp at U20 WJC

Lafreniere: (DOB Oct 11th)
1.72 Points Per Game (2nd CHL Season)
1pt 5gp at U20 WJC

Rossi: (DOB Sep 23rd)
1.22 Points Per Game (1st CHL Season)

AND Byfield played on a worse team than Rossi/Lafreniere.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
It's possible we trade up for the 1OA. I personally don't like that deal. They're saying we package up vilardi for the 1st. Stick to getting byfield.

Who was saying that? Not sure how people can speculate when we don’t even know what team has the first pick. If it’s Montréal for example, there may not even be a chance.

I personally think that Byfield will close the gap between he and Lafreniere as he matures so I personally wouldn’t add much, especially Vilardi.

Reactions: cyclones22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad