Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The ONLY concern, and it's a valid one, about Vilardi to me is health. You can see he has the goods at the freaking NHL level even with small sample size. Bottom line is that when he's played hockey at any level, he has excelled. It's not puck luck, he's good at hockey. If the Kings are confident in his rehab and staying healthy, like Muzzin, you don't trade Vilardi. He's got top line talent.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The ONLY concern, and it's a valid one, about Vilardi to me is health. You can see he has the goods at the freaking NHL level even with small sample size. Bottom line is that when he's played hockey at any level, he has excelled. It's not puck luck, he's good at hockey. If the Kings are confident in his rehab and staying healthy, like Muzzin, you don't trade Vilardi. He's got top line talent.
Based on some of his comments I really believe he was suffering from TMS (tension myositis syndrome). Which is great news because it's easily "curable" once you figure it out.

Reactions: cyclones22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If there's a good thing about this extended layoff, it's good for Vilardi's continued growth and strength and conditioning after walking right into the NHL at a 60 point pace after basically a year and a half out of hockey.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Sorry, but that’s complete bullshit.
Alexis LaFreniere Responds With Big Game Against Czech Republic

“Alexis LaFreniere had a lot to prove heading into Saturday’s World Junior contest against Czech Republic. He had not recorded any points in the first two Round Robin games. But more importantly, it had appeared that Team Canada coach Tim Hunter had lost faith in the 17-year-old, evidenced by his benching of LaFreniere in the third period against Switzerland.

“We showed him some video from the Denmark game and he was out there skating around like it was a free skate, lots of circles in his game and we weren’t happy with that,” Hunter stated. “And we talked to him about it and we showed him the video and explained it to him. I told him, ‘At the start of the game, you’re going to show me whether you understood this or not and if you don’t we’re going to limit your ice time.’”

Similar to Byfield, Lafreniere barely played and didn’t generate offense when he was the same age as Byfield at the 2019 WJC.

In his first WJC tournament, not long after turning 17, Byfield played 11 minutes in his first game and only took one draw. In his second game he played close to 13 mins in a blowout loss where he played wing again. Third game he played less than nine minutes. Game four he played about 11 minutes, game 5 less than nine minutes, seven minutes in game 6, and he didn’t play in the seventh game.

This is a tournament that is mostly dominated by under 20 year olds, and Byfield was the youngest participant. You putting so much stock into that when he barely even got to play shows how misguided your opinions are.

Given how important the WJC numbers are, I guess the Sabres made the right call in selecting Sam Reinhart ahead of Leon Draisaitl in 2014, right?
You're a sad man. Hows that?
Is that bull shit too? Read your posts man? Everything you write is aggressive. You have such great opinions and you clearly countered my debate but I don't even care because all I'm doing now is checking your posts and painting a picture of a sad old man who needs to bark like a blind dog.

You win. You are much more worldly and knowledgeable about hockey. And you know what? I'm going to sleep well tonight.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Is that bull shit too? Read your posts man? Everything you write is aggressive. You have such great opinions and you clearly countered my debate but I don't even care because all I'm doing now is checking your posts and painting a picture of a sad old man who needs to bark like a blind dog.

You win. You are much more worldly and knowledgeable about hockey. And you know what? I'm going to sleep well tonight.

Good for you, but I attacked your flawed opinions and called you out on that. You made a false claim about Lafreniere being a stand out performer when he was 17 at the WJC, which is unequivocally a false statement. He struggled, just as most 17-year-olds tend to do when competing against guys who are a year or two older than them. Glad to hear you'll be able to sleep well tonight.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If there's a good thing about this extended layoff, it's good for Vilardi's continued growth and strength and conditioning after walking right into the NHL at a 60 point pace after basically a year and a half out of hockey.
That's one way to look at it.

I think it's unfortunate that after years of hardly getting to play any hockey, he finally gets things going then this whole COVID situation goes down and cuts his debut short. What luck.

But yes, it's very impressive that he came in after that much time off and was productive. If he could just improve his foot speed and skating he would be a top line player IMO.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If Byfield goes 1OA then LA WILL BE TAKING Lafreniere and that's a win .
I agree they will and it wouldn’t be something I’d be upset about. However, I think when it’s all said and done Byfield will end up the best player from this draft. That’s why I’m quite happy at 2OA.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Who was saying that? Not sure how people can speculate when we don’t even know what team has the first pick. If it’s Montréal for example, there may not even be a chance.

I personally think that Byfield will close the gap between he and Lafreniere as he matures so I personally wouldn’t add much, especially Vilardi.

I don't know how reliable the source is but I also saw this. Could be the same article Hockeyman999 was referring to. But no freakin way whoever gets the 1st overall is going to trade it no matter what. Unless you get McJesus but that's obviously unrealistic.

Blockbuster Rumor: LA Kings prepare trade package for #1 pick

Reactions: funky

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don't know how reliable the source is but I also saw this. Could be the same article Hockeyman999 was referring to. But no freakin way whoever gets the 1st overall is going to trade it no matter what. Unless you get McJesus but that's obviously unrealistic.

These things are never reliable. They things are nearly always based on individual speculation and supposition. As soon as it gets posted on a couple of different forums or comments threads it then becomes a ‘rumour’. Occasionally these people get something ‘right’ but if you though enough crap at the wall some will stick.

This rumour gives no indication of where is coming from, let alone who from. I’m sure we are considering all options to move up but that’s hardly newsworthy. It applies to 30 other teams.

Reactions: funky

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Good for you, but I attacked your flawed opinions and called you out on that. You made a false claim about Lafreniere being a stand out performer when he was 17 at the WJC, which is unequivocally a false statement. He struggled, just as most 17-year-olds tend to do when competing against guys who are a year or two older than them. Glad to hear you'll be able to sleep well tonight.
I NEVER said he was a stand out performer. I said that his "intensity was universally lauded". That was in reference to my point about how when a player is struggling on the ice, they cannot struggle off of it.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley

Come on Ziggy. I'm waiting for you. How
No name:
If it was just that he was invisible it would be a moot point, but by reports during and after it became clear very quickly that he was struggling. Yeah, I know. A kid struggling at something isn't panic inducing but in a world where you must impress when not impressing (behind the scenes) there wasn't anyone trying to give him addaboy there either.

It's inevitable and poor taste to have to analyze a 17 year old child but when cutting hairs you have to find long and short. He didn't make much of an impression in the intensity department and it brought questions as to his future against competition who were also large and fast.

It's a reasonable question to have when you have spent your whole life being larger and faster than your competition. Do you have what it takes mentally to fail? Can you handle the pressure on the ice when someone is pacing you? All of his highlights were when nobody was draped on him. ALL OF THEM. When anyone applies on ice pressure or bodies him up he is an entirely different player. Mistake prone. Slow processing.

I'm still 50/50.

Ziggy's Response:​
He averaged about eight minutes per game at the WJC, and Lafreniere was used in a similar role, sparingly playing at the WJC when he was the same age as Byfield, and he produced similar results.

People who put too much stock in a brief tournament are completely inept. I can spout off a list of amazing WJC performers whose careers went nowhere. Do the names Dustin Tokarski or Justin Pogge ring a bell?

No Name:

Lafreniere was universally lauded for his intensity during his age 17 WJC and I cannot find one thing about anyone questioning him. Also, Lafreniere didn't lose his playing time. He was given a role and he played it. Byfield went from some second line and mostly third line duties to 4th line and ultimately the bench. It's different.

Ziggy:

Good for you, but I attacked your flawed opinions and called you out on that. You made a false claim about Lafreniere being a stand out performer when he was 17 at the WJC, which is unequivocally a false statement. He struggled, just as most 17-year-olds tend to do when competing against guys who are a year or two older than them. Glad to hear you'll be able to sleep well tonight.​
I NEVER said he was a stand out performer. I said that his "intensity was universally lauded". That was in reference to my point about how when a player is struggling on the ice, they cannot struggle off of it.​

So why attack me so hard? "Inept" "shows how worthless your opinion is". Because I had the audacity to question Byfield's hustle. Im 50/50 as to who I would take. I'm not anti Byfield. I'm a guy who wants to have a debate on both sides of the coin. I've not given my opinions on the subject.

Last edited:

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
I just think you could've said it in a nicer, better way Z. I don't think NN intends to offend anyone or incite an attack.
I know we're all feeling stressed with the pandemic but I feel that your response is just too aggressive.
We like reading your opinions, man...

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley

Come on Ziggy. I'm waiting for you. How
No name:
If it was just that he was invisible it would be a moot point, but by reports during and after it became clear very quickly that he was struggling. Yeah, I know. A kid struggling at something isn't panic inducing but in a world where you must impress when not impressing (behind the scenes) there wasn't anyone trying to give him addaboy there either.

It's inevitable and poor taste to have to analyze a 17 year old child but when cutting hairs you have to find long and short. He didn't make much of an impression in the intensity department and it brought questions as to his future against competition who were also large and fast.

It's a reasonable question to have when you have spent your whole life being larger and faster than your competition. Do you have what it takes mentally to fail? Can you handle the pressure on the ice when someone is pacing you? All of his highlights were when nobody was draped on him. ALL OF THEM. When anyone applies on ice pressure or bodies him up he is an entirely different player. Mistake prone. Slow processing.

I'm still 50/50.

Ziggy's Response:​
He averaged about eight minutes per game at the WJC, and Lafreniere was used in a similar role, sparingly playing at the WJC when he was the same age as Byfield, and he produced similar results.

People who put too much stock in a brief tournament are completely inept. I can spout off a list of amazing WJC performers whose careers went nowhere. Do the names Dustin Tokarski or Justin Pogge ring a bell?

No Name:

Lafreniere was universally lauded for his intensity during his age 17 WJC and I cannot find one thing about anyone questioning him. Also, Lafreniere didn't lose his playing time. He was given a role and he played it. Byfield went from some second line and mostly third line duties to 4th line and ultimately the bench. It's different.

Ziggy:

Sorry, but that’s complete bullshit.
Alexis LaFreniere Responds With Big Game Against Czech Republic

“Alexis LaFreniere had a lot to prove heading into Saturday’s World Junior contest against Czech Republic. He had not recorded any points in the first two Round Robin games. But more importantly, it had appeared that Team Canada coach Tim Hunter had lost faith in the 17-year-old, evidenced by his benching of LaFreniere in the third period against Switzerland.

“We showed him some video from the Denmark game and he was out there skating around like it was a free skate, lots of circles in his game and we weren’t happy with that,” Hunter stated. “And we talked to him about it and we showed him the video and explained it to him. I told him, ‘At the start of the game, you’re going to show me whether you understood this or not and if you don’t we’re going to limit your ice time.’”

Similar to Byfield, Lafreniere barely played and didn’t generate offense when he was the same age as Byfield at the 2019 WJC.

In his first WJC tournament, not long after turning 17, Byfield played 11 minutes in his first game and only took one draw. In his second game he played close to 13 mins in a blowout loss where he played wing again. Third game he played less than nine minutes. Game four he played about 11 minutes, game 5 less than nine minutes, seven minutes in game 6, and he didn’t play in the seventh game.

This is a tournament that is mostly dominated by under 20 year olds, and Byfield was the youngest participant. You putting so much stock into that when he barely even got to play shows how misguided your opinions are.

Given how important the WJC numbers are, I guess the Sabres made the right call in selecting Sam Reinhart ahead of Leon Draisaitl in 2014, right?​

So why attack me so hard? "Inept" "shows how worthless your opinion is". Because I had the audacity to question Byfield's hustle. Im 50/50 as to who I would take. I'm not anti Byfield. I'm a guy who wants to have a debate on both sides of the coin. I've not given my opinions on the subject.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I just think you could've said it in a nicer, better way Z. I don't think NN intends to offend anyone or incite an attack.
I know we're all feeling stressed with the pandemic but I feel that your response is just too aggressive.
We like reading your opinions, man...

You’re right, I think at the same time I typed that there was a heated discussion with a certain closed minded fool who was asserting that Byfield is being highly touted due to the color of his skin and people feeling public pressure as to rank him highly, which is an utter joke.

I think mostly everyone who’s read my content is familiar with how strong I am with my opinions and will staunchly back them up with supporting evidence, and I didn’t mean to insult No Name who’s been a long time contributor and overall good dude.

And with that, I’ll reiterate that people shouldn’t put too much stock in these brief tournaments. They’re a terrific spotlight and I love the WJC, but there have been so many prospects whose stocks have been blown way out of proportion due to their WJC performances. Look up Nigel Dawes and Curtis Lazar as a few examples.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Look up how Elias Pettersson performed at his first WJC, 6 games, one assist. Vinny Lecavalier only had a goal and an assist in 7 games. Didn’t seem to hurt his draft position.

Familiar with Eric Staal? Apparently he wasn’t even good enough to be a part of Canada’s WJC team in 2003, yet somehow he turned out to be the highest scoring player from the 2003 draft.
Staal Released From World Junior Camp – Ontario Hockey League

I can keep going...

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

Blake would be stupid to not explore what moving up would cost. Just like checking on Eichel with all the trouble going on in Buffalo. Nevertheless, I see very little chance moving up is even possible. You have to figure the team that gets AL won't be rebuilding so they will be champing at the bit to get the guy who will be ready right out of the box. Not only that, but the only pieces that would help a team right now are unaffordable and ain't going anywhere -- Kopitar, Doughty.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Hey Sens fan here, you guys hearing any indications on who LA is picking at 2? Or is it still a coin flip at this point lol

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
You’re right, I think at the same time I typed that there was a heated discussion with a certain closed minded fool who was asserting that Byfield is being highly touted due to the color of his skin and people feeling public pressure as to rank him highly, which is an utter joke.

I think mostly everyone who’s read my content is familiar with how strong I am with my opinions and will staunchly back them up with supporting evidence, and I didn’t mean to insult No Name who’s been a long time contributor and overall good dude.

And with that, I’ll reiterate that people shouldn’t put too much stock in these brief tournaments. They’re a terrific spotlight and I love the WJC, but there have been so many prospects whose stocks have been blown way out of proportion due to their WJC performances. Look up Nigel Dawes and Curtis Lazar as a few examples.
Well spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad