Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
If he was guaranteed to turn into what he is now, then yes. Most redrafts have him going 3rd, and that's after McDavid and Eichel. In a typical draft I think he's at least a #2, he's a first line center - if not a franchise center.

I'd be ecstatic if whoever we pick at #2 puts up those kind of numbers.

Barzal also plays on a team the predominantly relies upon defensive hockey; it's the Kopitar argument we've had with all the other fanbases. Kopi playing for a high-tempo team like the Avs, Lightning, etc. could likely be PPG+ every year, but instead we have a 0.8-0.9 PPG elite 2-way centerman.

I'm not saying Barzal is an elite 2-way centerman, but I do believe his point totals are deflated by who he plays with and how Trotz has the team play. I mean, he's benched every once in a while because of it.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Nobody that has any expertise equates the DEL to the AHL.... “many” are people that have not watched live DEL hockey or actually done any sort of deep dive on the players in that league. Its not even close to the AHL and using this undermines your argument if anything.
Your wrong. Yanny said so in a recent interview so...... there is that. MY was also talking about our EU scouts and co saying how highly they prized the DEL (currently not priorly) and Stutzle as well. There is also a few guys like Kevin Weeks (said so on TV even) I mean there are many others who see the DEL as a comparable league to the AHL in its level of competition. Sure there are caveats but I stand by what I and others have said.

As for watching the DEL I saw a couple of games last year (18/19 not 19/20) while I was visiting family and while my area of EU expertise is in RUS and SHL hockey (and now WHL) I have friends who work in both GDR and AUS in hockey so I kind of go by them as well and I have to say that they may not agree with me when I say that the AHL and the DEL are comparable leagues they do agree that the level of competition is very close so I guess there is that to.

My greater point would be that unless you have spent years watching EU leagues in person you could miss the feel of how they operate and therefore confuse them with having lesser quality players or a lesser level of competition. You would be right in some cases but not always. The KHL isn't on the same level as the NHL in terms of competition or regulating body but then they play on Intl ice so the game is different as it is with most EU leagues. Just saying that there are many different ways of valuing and comparing different leagues and levels of competition. But there you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfont

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
@ricardfromage

Draisaitl did not play in the DEL. He played in German juniors before going to the WHL.

Again, there isn't a real long list of draft eligible guys coming out of the DEL and the list we have is guys like Sturm and Goc.

You aren't wrong about Germany producing talented players recently, however. Seider played DEL last year and looks to be a solid defenseman, although it remains to be seen if he is worthy of the 6th overall selection but time will tell. This could be a "golden age" for German hockey with Stutzle being a key component of it.

Regardless, this is why it takes a leap of faith to be super impressed with Stutzle's numbers v. Byfield's as it is really hard to make historical comparisons for 18 year old draft eligible kids in the DEL.
It's funny, I had meant to say that he (LD) may not have played in the DEL but the same system produced him. As I am getting older my hands are moving much more slowly then my mind and it has trouble moving at all sometimes.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Your wrong. Yanny said so in a recent interview so...... there is that. MY was also talking about our EU scouts and co saying how highly they prized the DEL (currently not priorly) and Stutzle as well. There is also a few guys like Kevin Weeks (said so on TV even) I mean there are many others who see the DEL as a comparable league to the AHL in its level of competition. Sure there are caveats but I stand by what I and others have said.

As for watching the DEL I saw a couple of games last year (18/19 not 19/20) while I was visiting family and while my area of EU expertise is in RUS and SHL hockey (and now WHL) I have friends who work in both GDR and AUS in hockey so I kind of go by them as well and I have to say that they may not agree with me when I say that the AHL and the DEL are comparable leagues they do agree that the level of competition is very close so I guess there is that to.

My greater point would be that unless you have spent years watching EU leagues in person you could miss the feel of how they operate and therefore confuse them with having lesser quality players or a lesser level of competition. You would be right in some cases but not always. The KHL isn't on the same level as the NHL in terms of competition or regulating body but then they play on Intl ice so the game is different as it is with most EU leagues. Just saying that there are many different ways of valuing and comparing different leagues and levels of competition. But there you go.
Yanetti is always going to be respectful of pro leagues and rightly so.

Yes, I’ve watched lots of EU hockey (I’m the correct side of the Atlantic) and can compare from personal experience .. various experts might value the DEL, of course as it does produce players, but that doesn’t make it comparable to the AHL... just look at the rosters and the backgrounds of some of the top players. Many top out at ECHL level. I accept different leagues will suit different players and their styles, but DEL is way down the EU league chart if you look at that comparison. You actually in effect also reinforce the point that players that suit the DEL do not necessarily have their games translate to NA hockey on the smaller ice. I’m not saying it’s a garbage league, but whilst it has some AHL level players and arguably even a couple of (weak) AHL level teams, as an overall league no way.

Each to their own and we all have our views, but I’m very comfortable talking EU hockey. I don’t for example get into debates on the differences between CHL leagues as it’s not my wheelhouse. I’m very happy standing by my assessment and I think most EU based fans, certainly in my experience, tend to agree.

I fully respect your view though, well argued :thumbu:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Are we calling him Yanni now? Live at the Acropolis?

Anyways, he isn't going to trash the DEL since they aren't looking to tip their hand. A trade down with Ottawa at #3 so they can take who they like more is still an option on the table but you can't make them think you love one guy over the other. If Ottawa wanted Stutzle more, wouldn't they be okay with giving up a mid-round pick to guaranty they get their guy if they think there is a chance the Kings will take him?

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Are we calling him Yanni now? Live at the Acropolis?

Anyways, he isn't going to trash the DEL since they aren't looking to tip their hand. A trade down with Ottawa at #3 so they can take who they like more is still an option on the table but you can't make them think you love one guy over the other. If Ottawa wanted Stutzle more, wouldn't they be okay with giving up a mid-round pick to guaranty they get their guy if they think there is a chance the Kings will take him?

I would say if the Kings were open to dealing #2 for Ottawa #3, make it #2 + #35 overall for Ottawa #3 and #21 overall. Move back 1, 2-3 and move the 35 up to Ottawa's #21 overall they own from the Isles. Move up 14 spots from 35 to 21 overall may be worth it, if the Kings are 50-50ish on Byfield / Stutzle.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Laf is a surefire Hall-ability clone but with more of the character/moxie of a PLD. I'm really, really high on him being a regular 80-90 point guy a la Marian Hossa, just no weaknesses.

He's also a wing through and through and while Byfield over the sure thing would get criticized to high heaven there are a few people that have him as #1 and a better 'fit' as a 1C. It's not THAT far a reach.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
If anyone's bored you can check out Tim Stuzle vs. Team Swiss. Got this from the main board. He's being criticized for this game. But I'm thinking it's just one game. They haven't played for months so take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: funky

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Some great breakdowns in here by @King'sPawn and @The Lukeman.

giphy.gif

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, Hall level or less but still a great player.

Way lower than MacKinnon, Mathews, McDavid ...
Lafreniere is not way lower than MacKinnon at all. He's on that level for sure. He's been highly touted for at least four years now and has completely dominated the CHL and international play. He's a much better all around prospect than Hall. He's on the Eichel level for me.

McDavid should not be lumped together with those other players.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Token

May 15, 2019
Lafreniere is not way lower than MacKinnon at all. He's on that level for sure. He's been highly touted for at least four years now and has completely dominated the CHL and international play. He's a much better all around prospect than Hall. He's on the Eichel level for me.

McDavid should not be lumped together with those other players.
I can respect those observations. We will see how it plays out. Good stuff.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019

This guy gives me "Quinn Hughes will go to Detroit because he played in Michigan" and "Turcotte to Chicago because he is a Blackhawks fan" vibe considering main argument that AEG and Marco Strum are German. He already has made claims that already have been deemed false. Now he is doubling down on it. I would not hold any value to them. Kings aren't drafting because of nationality. They are drafting the best player. We really have no idea of who we are drafting. There have been 0 valid rumors to date for either player.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Here’s his follow up. I’m sure some radio personality in Ottawa who is a self proclaimed Sens homer is more connected than any reporter out there.

OH okay. So he's like that Vancouver guy that shit himself when Rosen called him out? Then nevermind, there's REALLY nothing to the rumor.

Ever wonder why the Sens sphere is trying to hard to convince itself that Byfield will be available at three?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad