Proposal: Who do you want as the head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I'd rather choose none of the above and not rush a decision. Better to assess how Horachek and Spott do, and then see in the offseason who's available.

But if I MUST choose what's on that list, then Dale Hunter.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I took Horachek because a lot can happen in 5mths. Just want to see what's happening with this team.

Add. Torts is about the worst choice for this group you could possibly pick. It's a joke that anyone would select a hard coach like that for such a fragile team.

I imagine the torts selections were by kids and or trolls.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I want Peyton Manning to coach our team after he retires. Till then Horacheck will do.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Like I mentioned Jan 2nd on here , Carlyle will be fired this week and DeBoer will be announced as the new head coach of the Leafs. I believe he will get a 2yr deal and a option yr.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I want an interim for the remainder of the season unless they know for certain Babcock is out of the equation.
I'd happily throw away the rest of the season if it meant landing Babcock, and hopefully more changes are made in the mean time, and for me that would happily include Kessel and Phaneuf. I don't like either of them to be completely honest.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I think Deboer is a better coach than he is getting credit for. Look what he had to work with in New jersey. Sweet Lou hasn't exactly given him a great team to work with. The best player is 43 years old. what does that tell ya. Henrique, Zajac and Cammaleri are ok players but if they are what the offense consists of they're going no where. Their D corps isn't screaming top of the league either.

Deboer did get to a cup final with an ok team. He isn't a bad choice

Rufio65*

I took Horachek because a lot can happen in 5mths. Just want to see what's happening with this team.

Add. Torts is about the worst choice for this group you could possibly pick. It's a joke that anyone would select a hard coach like that for such a fragile team.

Torts would change the culture. Period. Dale Hunter, Mike Keenan or Torts are exactly what these players need.

DeBoer is soft, Babcock isn't going to leave Detroit to come to this circus. Only egotistical fans think that the Toronto job is desirable.

nealll

Dec 27, 2014
My top 3 candidates, in order:

1. Mike Babcock

Love how his teams are coached. Love seeing Detroit players being prepared so well with working along the boards. Their breakouts from their zones are a thing of beauty as well. He's a winner and one of, if not, the best coach in the NHL.

2. John Tortorella

No one teaches defense, and team Defense, better than John Tortorella. He truly cares about his players and, sure, he's been in the spotlight a bunch of times for the wrong reason, but he's a proven winner, and an excellent coach. He'll be great to develop our young D-men.

3. Dale Hunter

Loved his coaching style in Washington. He's got his brother working for us and will be a great hire to develop our young players.

You dont want Torts (from a Canucks fan), and many of the things you said about him were definitely not what I think most fans would take away from his time with us.

cujoflutie

Why dismiss Torts so quickly? His style in Vancouver didn't work because of the complexion of that team. Similar to how no coach will get Ovechkin to play defense, no coach will get the Sedins to show any semblance of heart.

They wouldn't be giving up 40 shots a game with Torts. I don't want to put it all on Kessel (because again he's not the reason they give up so many shots), it's no secret Phil is very streaky and Torts would have the good sense to reduce his icetime when he's cold (and similarily play him as much as he can while he's hot). Look at Tortorellas past 3 GM's: Jay Feaster, Glen Sather, Mike Gillis. None are competent in todays NHL.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
The Leafs should bring back the winning tradition with a coaching combination made up of Red Kelly, George Armstrong, Bob Pulford and Johnnie Bower. :)

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I'll take Paul Maclean out of that dumpster fire.

A Jack Adams winner for a completely mediocre team with far less talent than the Leafs. The guy was fired for no other reason than being a scape goat for their awful team. He's twice the coach Carlyle ever has been.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why dismiss Torts so quickly? His style in Vancouver didn't work because of the complexion of that team. Similar to how no coach will get Ovechkin to play defense, no coach will get the Sedins to show any semblance of heart.

They wouldn't be giving up 40 shots a game with Torts. I don't want to put it all on Kessel (because again he's not the reason they give up so many shots), it's no secret Phil is very streaky and Torts would have the good sense to reduce his icetime when he's cold (and similarily play him as much as he can while he's hot). Look at Tortorellas past 3 GM's: Jay Feaster, Glen Sather, Mike Gillis. None are competent in todays NHL.

This team doesn't need an executioner. They need a reasonable and inspirational coach who is adaptive and understands hybrid systems(styles) of play. One who can make a diverse group function as a team. Carlyle is a failure because he tries to make a Corvette perform like a F150. He was to stubborn or dumb to realize these things.

Torts would have conflicts with at least some of...

Kessel
Kadri
Lupul
Bozak
Gardiner
Rielly
Nylander

Torts is a **** off honestly. He should shut his stupid big mouth, hockey is hockey not a talk show.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
My realistic choice : dale hunter
My homer choice : babcock
My what the leafs would do rolf copter choice : torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad