Proposal: Who do you want as the head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
Where did the Benoit Giroulx hype come from? The leafs are going to wait for the end of the season. We don't know if Todd Mclellan is going to be back in SJ. Or Boudreau in Anaheim if they're bounced early. What about Dave Tippett who would be a FANTASTIC coach if Zona continues to slip. If we're going the junior route my top candidates would be Dale Hunter, Scott Walker, or Sheldon Keefe. Obviously my top choice is Babcock, after that it's Tippett.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Where did the Benoit Giroulx hype come from? The leafs are going to wait for the end of the season. We don't know if Todd Mclellan is going to be back in SJ. Or Boudreau in Anaheim if they're bounced early. What about Dave Tippett who would be a FANTASTIC coach if Zona continues to slip. If we're going the junior route my top candidates would be Dale Hunter, Scott Walker, or Sheldon Keefe. Obviously my top choice is Babcock, after that it's Tippett.

WJC's hype/hate. It always happens.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Pretty interesting how many votes Torts has gotten. I guess people want to see this core rattled.

Blashill, John Stevens (not listed in poll), Dale Hunter, McLellan, and maybe Horachek would be my top options (assuming no Babcock).

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Look it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

By all accounts Carlyle should've been fire at the end of last season. The reason he wasn't? The right coach, from management's perspective, wasn't available. Carlyle's extension didn't play any factor either. It was more or less a severance package for Randy and to avoid him looking like a lame duck for the season.

Why would they fire Carlyle now? Is it because they've lost 7 of their last 9 or is that just a smokescreen?

The timing of Carlyle's firing is due to the fact that management believes the right coach is now available. They know Babcock is an extreme long shot so there's no sense of waiting out the season before making the change.

Who is the coach management has in mind? Peter Deboer.

He will be the next coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Guaranteed. In fact, they are probably in contract negotiations as we speak. This is the guy Shanahan wants.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
No outside coach is going to take a 1 year interim job for the rest of the season. And the leafs aren't signing anyone to multi years until they know what Babcock is doing.

Tyler Biggs*

Please don’t bring up Pierre McGuire as a possible candidate.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I dont ****ing want Peter DeBoer. He won't work here, he is too soft.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
If you guys do infact get Deboer, then you have some stuff to expect.

1) If you have young Dmen prone to making mistakes, they will not play. They better be perfect in their own end or they will be sitting the entire 3rd period / entire game.

2) If you have a young forward who doesnt play a two way game, expect him to get very little time. Furthermore, if you have a forward who is a physical grinder and grit type of player, expect him to 3x the minutes he should. Clarkson for example, will 100% be in your top 6 and your #1 PP Unit.

3) If you have a lead, you will not try to extend it. Deboer sits on leads hoping to see the game out. We were 4-0-4 this year with him when leading in the 3rd period by more then 1 more. Ever since he left, havent lost when we have a lead in the 3rd.

4) ZERO accountability. If a veteran makes a mistake, he wont be held accountable, only the younger players will. For example, Marek Zidlicky makes mistake after mistake/turnover after turnover but he was never sat, he actually got more time. But if the young D made a mistake, it was insta bench.

5) He will try to make your Skilled players, power forwards. Dump and Chase , cycle and perimeter shots from the point.

He just isnt a good coach. He made it to the Finals with one of the best teams we had in a while. He has made the playoffs once in his career. The blown leads are concerning because they were our biggest issue during our cup run to, not just now when our team sucks. You have Florida Panthers youngster who said they played scared cause of him, and I wouldnt be surprised if Devils youngsters did to. Just look at Larsson who is thriving since he left.

Swayze*

If you guys do infact get Deboer, then you have some stuff to expect.

1) If you have young Dmen prone to making mistakes, they will not play. They better be perfect in their own end or they will be sitting the entire 3rd period / entire game.

2) If you have a young forward who doesnt play a two way game, expect him to get very little time. Furthermore, if you have a forward who is a physical grinder and grit type of player, expect him to 3x the minutes he should. Clarkson for example, will 100% be in your top 6 and your #1 PP Unit.

3) If you have a lead, you will not try to extend it. Deboer sits on leads hoping to see the game out. We were 4-0-4 this year with him when leading in the 3rd period by more then 1 more. Ever since he left, havent lost when we have a lead in the 3rd.

4) ZERO accountability. If a veteran makes a mistake, he wont be held accountable, only the younger players will. For example, Marek Zidlicky makes mistake after mistake/turnover after turnover but he was never sat, he actually got more time. But if the young D made a mistake, it was insta bench.

5) He will try to make your Skilled players, power forwards. Dump and Chase , cycle and perimeter shots from the point.

He just isnt a good coach. He made it to the Finals with one of the best teams we had in a while. He has made the playoffs once in his career. The blown leads are concerning because they were our biggest issue during our cup run to, not just now when our team sucks. You have Florida Panthers youngster who said they played scared cause of him, and I wouldnt be surprised if Devils youngsters did to. Just look at Larsson who is thriving since he left.

So basically our entire team will be on the bench

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With Horachek named interim coach, I'm going to close this thread up .. Safe to assume he'll finish the season behind the Leafs bench and the coaching situation will be revisited in the offseason ... We can reopen this discussion at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->