Who do Winnipeg draft 7th?

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Best talent available....

and keep the young prospects and allow them to develop....that means keep Bogosian. The True North organization has been all about developing talent for Vancouver...see 17 ex farm hands on their current, most likely Stanley Cup champ team. I expect them to build from the farm and draft the best available talent they evaluate by position and allow it to develop. As for present NHL roster players like Bogosian, they will give them time to develop.

At pick 7, I would expect N-H, Landeskog, Larsson for sure to be gone...many have mentioned here Coutiurier and Hubredeau to possibly drop to 7... I don't see Courturier dropping beyond 5 or 6 for sure. Therefore Hubredeau is on my outside list as maybe available...Centermen would be a priority as I believe they anchor both ends of the ice...
Picks I expect available at 7 in order of preference:
1 - Strome
2 - Zibanejad
3 - Schiefle
4 - Hamilton
If Hubredeau somehow drops to 7... I would take him ahead of all these...

I would like to state how excited I am to be able to now contribute directly on a day to day basis on NHL hockey on this board again as I will witness it again first hand :handclap::yo::)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm kinda surprised that Ryan Murphy doesn't get much love on HFBoards. Seems like most people agree he's a top end prospect but not many fans want their team to draft him. I'd be thrilled if we drafted him but then again, I'll be happy with any of the top 9.

For the record, Murphy is the player I want Winnipeg to draft at #7.

Offensive defensemen of his ilk don't come around very often.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
For the record, Murphy is the player I want Winnipeg to draft at #7.

Offensive defensemen of his ilk don't come around very often.

The team has a glaring need for goalscorers and offensive forwards and already has Enstrom and Byfuglien who are top 10 offensive defenseman in NHL.

And you want to draft Murphy:shakehead

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
BPA as determined by who?

Every team's list will vary. I'm not sure I'd have him ahead of Hamilton. He's definitely a top 10 talent, but who's to say he's better than anyone else in that 6 - 10 range.

I'm just wary about his size and how it will affect his game at the next level. Can he bring it physically or will physical play neutralize him. Going forward in the western conference he would need to be Dan Boyle good for me to select him. If he doesn't reach that level, who does he end up like, Ian White?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
BPA as determined by who?

BPA is in the eye of the beholder, of course. I'm only arguing that drafting for need is silly, because what you need now may not be what you need by the time the player develops.

I'm just wary about his size and how it will affect his game at the next level. Can he bring it physically or will physical play neutralize him. Going forward in the western conference he would need to be Dan Boyle good for me to select him. If he doesn't reach that level, who does he end up like, Ian White?

I think the "bigger, tougher" WC card is totally overplayed. Goligoski - a small, finesse defenseman - went from the EC to the WC and bloomed.

As for size, it's just as easy to find examples of players with Dougie Hamilton's particulars who flubbed. Murphy should be judged on his own merits.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I really hope we pick Sven Bartschi at 7th. He would be huge to our franchise. He's just like his fellow swiss Nino in Long Island.

Maybe your over rating him a bit?
Bartschi does have a bright future, don't think he could be a huge piece to a franchise, maybe a key piece to a franchise. Winnipeg could get someone better though.
I see Bartschi being picked around 9th to 14th.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I'd like them to pick the best Canadian player available, especially as it sounds like the players available around 7 are of equivalent talent.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
With scouting the way it is today it's almost a guarantee that the 1st overall pick will become a star player. I think the bare minimum the Oilers should accept for the
1st overall pick should be the 7th pick, Bogosian and Kane. Flame away Jets fans.

:laugh::laugh:Too Funny:laugh::laugh:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
As an Oiler fan, if Winnipeg really wanted 1st overall, this is the only trade I'd consider:

To WIN: 1st overall, MPS, Lander

To EDM: 7th overall, Kane, Bogosian

If they don't like it then I'm fine with keeping 1st overall and taking a franchise C that is the perfect compliment to Hall and Ebs' respective games.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
As an Oiler fan, if Winnipeg really wanted 1st overall, this is the only trade I'd consider:

If they don't like it then I'm fine with keeping 1st overall and taking a franchise C that is the perfect compliment to Hall and Ebs' respective games.

Take out Evander Kane and it a fair trade for Winnipeg

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Take out Evander Kane and it a fair trade for Winnipeg

Take out Kane and the Oilers get completely screwed. I'd way rather have MPS than Bogo, but for the moment lets say the value is equal. So we're trading 1st overall and Lander for 7th overall? Very well thought response buddy:shakehead

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
BPA. You don't draft on current need in the top 10..

Agreed. Bogosian is a questionmark at this point, and while BigBuff & Enstrom put up a lot of points, I still think they need depth on their back-end. And there's a BIG drop off in quality after those top 3.

What makes the BPA argument easy in this case is that there is no "winger" in the top-10, besides Ladeskog, who goes earlier. So whether they go with Centre (Couturier/Zibenejad/Strome) or D (Murphy, Hamilton, or even Beaulieu), I don't think they could go wrong either way. They need both.

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
I know its a bit off the board but I think mark Mcneill is a great fit there.

but since they don'y have a GM yet who knows

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
We need to fill out our centre role. Getting a young centre like ryan strome would be amazing! lets get er done jets!

Edgeworth*

Why does Edmonton do this? Lol'd hard. You're like the anti-pens here taking ANOTHER winger. Winnipeg doesn't do it because Kane is a franchise player for them but why put him on Edmonton with Hall, Eberle, MPS, Omark?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
We must disagree on Bogosian's value then. I don't see the value that a lot of posters here do in him.

Yeah, don't get me wrong Zeus, I think Bogosian has a long way to go to achieve his potential.

My reasoning is that he is 20 years old (21 in July), has played 3 seasons, and at worst has shown that he can be a second pairing D man (not great, but adequate).

The point is that we also don't know what the difference will be between a guy like RNH and a guy like Strome for instance. Even if RNH puts up 15 or 20 more points a year than whomever is drafted at 7, is that 15 or 20 points worth giving up on Bogosian? My thoughts are no.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Getting a guy like Strome or Zibanejed would be a good start for this franchise.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I Would say so yes. Considering we don't know how good a guy like Strome (if he's there at 7) will be. Even if Seguin or RNH get 15 or 20 more points a year than Strome (which people cannot say with certainty), it wouldn't be worth giving up this early on bogosian.

The oilers would be fools not to take the 7th and Bogosian for the 1st overall. It is an overpayment by WPG, but this is their first ever NHL draft, so making a statement would go a long way with fans.

I would say the oil would need to be sending back the 31st to make this deal even.

Bogosian and 7th

for

1st and 31st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad