Who do Winnipeg draft 7th?

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Bogo and the 7th is almost to much for the 1st. Granted this is the 1st overall pick, but none of the players are that spectacular... anything more then that is a serious overpayment. Better off trading to #3 or something and getting Huberdeau

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
#7 is a great spot in this draft, I wouldn't try to trade up or down. Either Strome or Hamilton would be great. I wouldn't worry about position - by the time the pick is ready for the NHL (don't rush this one!) Enstrom, Hainsey and Oduya will have hit unrestricted free agency. The organization needs to build at all positions, except maybe goaltending.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
I really hope we pick Sven Bartschi at 7th. He would be huge to our franchise. He's just like his fellow swiss Nino in Long Island.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I feel semi-confident that RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, Couturier and Huberdeau will all be gone within the first 6 picks. If any of those 5 are available at 7th overall, I think Winnipeg takes them, but I doubt they will be. If Couturier was there I'm sure they'd snatch him up in a second, which would give them some damn fine young Cs (Couturier, Burmistrov, Little, Cormier, etc.), but I really doubt he will be.

IMO they'll be picking between Cs like Strome and Zibanejad, dmen like Murphy and Hamilton, and Bartschi on the wing. Team needs would suggest that they take a C, Strome or Zibanejad, but BPA is almost always the correct choice that high up in the draft, so if they like any other prospect better I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them take someone like Hamilton, Murphy, or even Bartschi. If I had to bet, though, I'd go with . . . Strome.

Bartschi is a dark horse, I know he plays LW primarily, but he can play RW too, right? Because the Hawks/Jets/whatever are set at LW (with Kane and Ladd) but could use some RWs for sure. I know most people are projecting Bartschi more in the early teens range, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go higher, seems to have a very polished/NHL ready game.

Also, why is everyone convinced that Bogo's a bust already? He's 20 years old, and big, physical dmen often take a long time to develop. He's got all the tools you could ask for - 6'3", 215 lbs, very good skater for his size, physical/mean, huge point shot, budding offensive skills. Sure he hasn't put it all together yet, and is prone to bad decisions on both ends of the rink, BUT HE'S 20 YEARS OLD! In terms of his raw tools he's a dman in the mold of Shea Weber, when Weber was Bogo's age (20 years old/3rd post draft season) he was mostly playing in the AHL, and only getting his first taste of NHL action. Give Bogo some time, if he sucks by his mid 20s then he's a bust, but players like him are often slow to develop, Bogo IMO could clearly end up as a very good top pairing dman. Plus with star dmen like Enstrom and Buffy on the team (never mind serviceable dmen like Oduya and Hainsey) they can afford to be patient with Bogo.

100% agree.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Bryan Little is better than Sam Gagner, and not much older, while Burmistrov is younger and more promising, I don't see how Gagner fills much of a need for them at all. Plus Gagner is worth nowhere close to the 7th overall pick. Often picks in that 5th-10th ish range range become mediocre NHLers like Sam Gagner, sometimes they become minor leaguers like Alexandre Picard, but sometimes they become stars like Jeff Skinner, Ryan Suter, Mikko Koivu, Phil Kessel, Carey Price, Thomas Vanek, Dion Phaneuf, Shane Doan, or even generational talents like Jaromir Jagr or Peter Forsberg. It's the chance at getting the sort of player you simply cannot get through trades/free agenct that makes high draft picks so valuable, and there's IMO no chance that Sam Gagner turns into such a player, so his value is not going to be as high. Sam Gagner's value is more in the Kris Versteeg range IMO, a late 1st, which is clearly far less valuable than the 7th overall pick, especially in a draft that is seen as having a considerable drop off after the top 8 or so prospects.

Bingo. Gagner is a good player, but with Little he is redundant. You are also correct that in no way does Gagner get you the 7th pick. I would hope that most sane Oiler fans would know that.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I really hope we pick Sven Bartschi at 7th. He would be huge to our franchise. He's just like his fellow swiss Nino in Long Island.

For those who though Zibanejad would be a reach, look no further. Barschi isn't a top 10 talent IMO, the pick has to be one of Strome or Couturier. Best Center on the board essentially.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
They've got prospect depth problems all over the place, but I think they take a centreman, probably Strome, or Couturier if they're lucky and he drops that far.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
My new 2nd favourite team should pick Strome, Murphy, or Hamilton. If they trade into the top 4, they need Couturier, who I feel will pan out better than RNH at the NHL level.

zeus3007*

Bogo and the 7th is almost to much for the 1st. Granted this is the 1st overall pick, but none of the players are that spectacular... anything more then that is a serious overpayment. Better off trading to #3 or something and getting Huberdeau

Let me ask this, would Bogosian and the 7th be too much for Tyler Seguin? Because I have heard a number of analysts say that RNH and Seguin are close to the same in terms of draft day value. FWIW.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Let me ask this, would Bogosian and the 7th be too much for Tyler Seguin? Because I have heard a number of analysts say that RNH and Seguin are close to the same in terms of draft day value. FWIW.

I Would say so yes. Considering we don't know how good a guy like Strome (if he's there at 7) will be. Even if Seguin or RNH get 15 or 20 more points a year than Strome (which people cannot say with certainty), it wouldn't be worth giving up this early on bogosian.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site

Thats not really a fair question, we have seen Seguin in the NHL... Seguin is bigger, stronger, better goal scorer.... If you would have asked me last year I probably say I don't think it would be enough. Why? Because I see Seguin as a better player with less questions.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My new 2nd favourite team should pick Strome, Murphy, or Hamilton. If they trade into the top 4, they need Couturier, who I feel will pan out better than RNH at the NHL level.

If Couturier falls to 5th(assuming RNH, Landeskog, Larsson and Huberdeau are top 4 picks in any order), I wouldn't mind the Islanders trying to see what they can get out of Winnipeg or Ottawa to move up to the 5th spot

zeus3007*

I Would say so yes. Considering we don't know how good a guy like Strome (if he's there at 7) will be. Even if Seguin or RNH get 15 or 20 more points a year than Strome (which people cannot say with certainty), it wouldn't be worth giving up this early on bogosian.

We must disagree on Bogosian's value then. I don't see the value that a lot of posters here do in him.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I'm betting that it's going to be Zibanejad.

1 - RNH
2 - Landeskog
3 - Couturier/Huberdeau
4 - Larsson
5 - Huberdeau/Couturier
6 - Strome
7 - Zibanejad/Hamilton

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Yup, I'm guessing more and more that it'll be one of Zibanejad or Hamilton taken at number 7. Armia would also be a strong choice but I'm not sure if he's good enough to go that high.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm kinda surprised that Ryan Murphy doesn't get much love on HFBoards. Seems like most people agree he's a top end prospect but not many fans want their team to draft him. I'd be thrilled if we drafted him but then again, I'll be happy with any of the top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad