Who do Winnipeg draft 7th?

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Zibanejad, Strome, Couturier, or one of the defenseman projected to be picked around number 7.

We do know that this new franchise will be committed to the draft and for the first couple of years will be "rebuilding" (in a sense) in their own vision. This means they probably won't be spending to the cap off the get-go.

Koto

May 3, 2011
1st draft as the Jets?

Reach out to the Oilers find out what it would take to get #1 overall and make a big splash.

Considering the draft is in St. Paul, there's going to be alot of Jets fans, pull the trigger and continue to make the statement that the Jets are back.

Um you're not going to like this but, I'll humor you. :)

7th+Bogosian+Burmistrov

7th+Bogo just isnt enough sorry

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
1. Couturier
2. Strome
3. Murphy
4. Hamilton
5. Zibanejad

If I was Winnipeg thats who I would be looking at depending on who falls/is available.

Its gonna be cool to start seeing Winnipeg in mock drafts and if I was not excited enough for this years draft...:yo:

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
"Making a splash" is something Winnipeg should NOT try to do. Atlanta did that in their first draft and it was a stupid mistake. They wound up drafting Patrik Stefan, who would have been available with the second pick anyways since Vancouver would have taken Daniel Sedin, and they gave up an extra draft pick for the privilege. The worst part though was the pressure and expectations heaped on the #1 pick are so much greater than those placed on the #2 guy. So we wound up putting tons more pressure on a kid whose confidence we learned in hindsight was pretty fragile to begin with. It was a dumb move that set the tone for the franchise.

This situation is obviously different, but hopefully the lesson learned can be carried forward.

KingJet*

I think they take

Forwards: Strome, Bartschi or Huberdeau
Defense: Murphy or Larsson

But Strome makes most sense to me

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Trade down to get Armia and use the other pick with something (Oduya, "prospect") to get a top-6 forward.

A boy can dream. :)

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
He's good, but let's wait until he steps on to NHL ice... I'm preparing to be seriously be disappointed in him and Landeskog... especially Landeskog, not a fan.

I've seen my fair share of Kitchener games over the past two seasons and believe Murphy's game will transfer to high end NHL talent better than Landeskog's. Murphy is well deserving of his potential draft status People tout Lando as the total package in this draft while Couturier is not only a more complete player, he also has a higher ceiling. Not taking a shot at Landeskog, but Couturier doesn't get enough credit.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
I'm all for picking the BPA left of the big 8. To me a forward like Strome, Huberdeau or Couturier makes the most sense, but there's no question Murphy's skill set is intriguing.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I feel semi-confident that RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, Couturier and Huberdeau will all be gone within the first 6 picks. If any of those 5 are available at 7th overall, I think Winnipeg takes them, but I doubt they will be. If Couturier was there I'm sure they'd snatch him up in a second, which would give them some damn fine young Cs (Couturier, Burmistrov, Little, Cormier, etc.), but I really doubt he will be.

IMO they'll be picking between Cs like Strome and Zibanejad, dmen like Murphy and Hamilton, and Bartschi on the wing. Team needs would suggest that they take a C, Strome or Zibanejad, but BPA is almost always the correct choice that high up in the draft, so if they like any other prospect better I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them take someone like Hamilton, Murphy, or even Bartschi. If I had to bet, though, I'd go with . . . Strome.

Bartschi is a dark horse, I know he plays LW primarily, but he can play RW too, right? Because the Hawks/Jets/whatever are set at LW (with Kane and Ladd) but could use some RWs for sure. I know most people are projecting Bartschi more in the early teens range, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go higher, seems to have a very polished/NHL ready game.

Also, why is everyone convinced that Bogo's a bust already? He's 20 years old, and big, physical dmen often take a long time to develop. He's got all the tools you could ask for - 6'3", 215 lbs, very good skater for his size, physical/mean, huge point shot, budding offensive skills. Sure he hasn't put it all together yet, and is prone to bad decisions on both ends of the rink, BUT HE'S 20 YEARS OLD! In terms of his raw tools he's a dman in the mold of Shea Weber, when Weber was Bogo's age (20 years old/3rd post draft season) he was mostly playing in the AHL, and only getting his first taste of NHL action. Give Bogo some time, if he sucks by his mid 20s then he's a bust, but players like him are often slow to develop, Bogo IMO could clearly end up as a very good top pairing dman. Plus with star dmen like Enstrom and Buffy on the team (never mind serviceable dmen like Oduya and Hainsey) they can afford to be patient with Bogo.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
With scouting the way it is today it's almost a guarantee that the 1st overall pick will become a star player. I think the bare minimum the Oilers should accept for the
1st overall pick should be the 7th pick, Bogosian and Kane. Flame away Jets fans.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I feel semi-confident that RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, Couturier and Huberdeau will all be gone within the first 6 picks. If any of those 5 are available at 7th overall, I think Winnipeg takes them, but I doubt they will be. If Couturier was there I'm sure they'd snatch him up in a second, which would give them some damn fine young Cs (Couturier, Burmistrov, Little, Cormier, etc.), but I really doubt he will be.

IMO they'll be picking between Cs like Strome and Zibanejad, dmen like Murphy and Hamilton, and Bartschi on the wing. Team needs would suggest that they take a C, Strome or Zibanejad, but BPA is almost always the correct choice that high up in the draft, so if they like any other prospect better I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them take someone like Hamilton, Murphy, or even Bartschi. If I had to bet, though, I'd go with . . . Strome.

Bartschi is a dark horse, I know he plays LW primarily, but he can play RW too, right? Because the Hawks/Jets/whatever are set at LW (with Kane and Ladd) but could use some RWs for sure. I know most people are projecting Bartschi more in the early teens range, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go higher, seems to have a very polished/NHL ready game.

Also, why is everyone convinced that Bogo's a bust already? He's 20 years old, and big, physical dmen often take a long time to develop. He's got all the tools you could ask for - 6'3", 215 lbs, very good skater for his size, physical/mean, huge point shot, budding offensive skills. Sure he hasn't put it all together yet, and is prone to bad decisions on both ends of the rink, BUT HE'S 20 YEARS OLD! In terms of his raw tools he's a dman in the mold of Shea Weber, when Weber was Bogo's age (20 years old/3rd post draft season) he was mostly playing in the AHL, and only getting his first taste of NHL action. Give Bogo some time, if he sucks by his mid 20s then he's a bust, but players like him are often slow to develop, Bogo IMO could clearly end up as a very good top pairing dman. Plus with star dmen like Enstrom and Buffy on the team (never mind serviceable dmen like Oduya and Hainsey) they can afford to be patient with Bogo.

Good post. Only 2 things I think are a little off.

1. Our main team need is a RW and also in the system. We are very very thin.

2. Oduya wasn't really servicable at all last year. Was more of a liability really. :(

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
With scouting the way it is today it's almost a guarantee that the 1st overall pick will become a star player. I think the bare minimum the Oilers should accept for the
1st overall pick should be the 7th pick, Bogosian and Kane. Flame away Jets fans.

Now you're just trolling.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Good post. Only 2 things I think are a little off.

1. Our main team need is a RW and also in the system. We are very very thin.

2. Oduya wasn't really servicable at all last year. Was more of a liability really. :(
Agreed 100% on the team being weaker at RW than C, I meant more that at 7th overall the top rated players likely to be available are mostly Cs and dmen, and if drafting based on team needs between these two, they need a potential #1 C (with Burmistrov being the only one in the system) more than a potential #1 dman (they've already got Enstrom and Buffy, and possibly Bogo depending on how he develops). The only exception would be Bartschi, who's a winger that wouldn't be much of a reach, who will likely still be on the board, but that depends on how good he is at RW, since AFAIK he's played primarily LW in Portland.

As for Oduya, didn't realize he'd been that terrible! Haven't seen too much of him in Atlanta, but he always seemed decent in NJ, serviceable at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad