Pre-Game Talk: Who do we rest for Saturday's game against the Leafs?

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
If given strict instructions, Prust does not have to fight. They can try to antagonize all game, but if we just play solid hockey and get a nice lead, we can skate away from every scrum and they can suck it. After Celine declined Prust when it didn't matter (in terms of playoffs just starting), they can chirp all they want, but they know that us winning on the scoreboard does not bode well for them as they will possibly be playing the Caps or Boston.

I'd rather they **** their pants after chirping about how Prust didn't fight. They'll soon forget it. As long as the team plays mentally strong and dusts everything off their shoulder, they don't have to engage. I hope MT is telling them this. There is QUITE a lot on the line for the laffs so if they try to goon, they will be jeopardizing their playoff situation.

Get a lead early, build on it and if it's 3-0 by the third period, wow, we'll be in great shape and leaf fans will be panicking like hell. BTW I'm fine with Prust sitting for someone like white or dumont or moen. Just the rest of the team - don't engage. Look how we've been effective when we play boston (more in the past - they've been passive this season).

Key is getting a lead and playing good solid hockey. And pleeeease finish our chances! That's what differentiates us and the leafs the most. This oft referenced SH%. Yeah, we need to improve ours. A ryder, eller, chucky maybe even bourque wristers would be nice. Tired of seeing Kessel, Lupul and Bozak wire them top corner when we have forgotten what that looks like.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I would love to see a Boston vs. Toronto first round 7 game series. Let them beat the crap out of each other and see the winner later. Taking the division and 2nd overall should be a priority for us, confidence and home ice etc.. Rest Prust, let Moen play.
Assuming the Habs finish second and win their first round series and the Caps win theirs, they would face the Caps while the winner of the Bruins-Leafs series would face the Penguins. I wouldn't rest Prust against the Leafs because it's important to win that game.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Play everyone and win. It's not like they've been all in since clinching. You can reduce mins to a guy like Markov if needed, and unless someone has been playing through injury they should play. Why allow the B's a gimme to win the division by starting a handful of ahlers?

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Assuming the Habs finish second and win their first round series and the Caps win theirs, they would face the Caps while the winner of the Bruins-Leafs series would face the Penguins. I wouldn't rest Prust against the Leafs because it's important to win that game.

+1, but I think Prust can be replaced for this one game with Dumont. He does a lot of really great things and if Ryder keeps floating the way he is now, Dumont would be more useful on that line, seriously. (not that I'd take that chance)

If you wanna replace Prust's physicality, give White a(nother) chance, but I actually think Prust has been most effective at giving our lines a chance at puck retrieval. He really does have an offensive effect. Almost pulled off a dirty deke one on one last game.

JaMoney9

Oct 24, 2012
I think you have to sit Price. Play your skaters, cause there is still the division to play for, and they can win one game if the skaters play well without Price in the cage. However, they have 0 chance of winning a stanley cup if something happens to Price. I cant see the Leafs dressing McLaren and Orr the same night during the playoffs because their roles (Primarily fighting) are severely diminished in the playoffs compared to the regular season, which could be more incentive to take a stupid run at Price in the final game before playoffs start if they know they wont be playing during playoffs anyway.

I just think going into playoffs, you can go deep and win without almost any one skater on the team, but without Price they don't have a chance in hell.

Habtchum*

I would rest at least, Price, Markov, Gionta, Prust and Plekanec. Put Budaj, Beaulieu or Drewiske, + Moen, White and Dumont.

My ideal line up for tomorrow's game:

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Bourque - DD - Leblanc
Moen - White - Armstrong
Bournival - Dumont - Blunden

Tinordi- Diaz
Beaulieu - Patteryn
Drewiske - Weber

Budaj
Tokarski

Last edited by a moderator:

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I think you have to sit Price. Play your skaters, cause there is still the division to play for, and they can win one game if the skaters play well without Price in the cage. However, they have 0 chance of winning a stanley cup if something happens to Price. I cant see the Leafs dressing McLaren and Orr the same night during the playoffs because their roles (Primarily fighting) are severely diminished in the playoffs compared to the regular season, which could be more incentive to take a stupid run at Price in the final game before playoffs start if they know they wont be playing during playoffs anyway.

I just think going into playoffs, you can go deep and win without almost any one skater on the team, but without Price they don't have a chance in hell.

If we win this game and this is the last Habs-Leafs game this season (IF boston loses one), I want Carey to go out on a "f you toronto" note. That and either way he probably wants redemption for that HNIC sat night embarrassment.

Have to play Price and I don't think he'd let MT sit him quite honestly. That and if he does what we hope he will do - he will be one of the big reasons we win that game.

Would be nice if the team could spot him a two goal lead.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Might as well just sit Subban, Pacioretty and Plekanec too then. Can't win without them. They are impossible to replace on our roster.

And pleeeease finish our chances! That's what differentiates us and the leafs the most. This oft referenced SH%. Yeah, we need to improve ours. A ryder, eller, chucky maybe even bourque wristers would be nice. Tired of seeing Kessel, Lupul and Bozak wire them top corner when we have forgotten what that looks like.

They've scored 2 more goals than us.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm sure Toronto will dress their two cement heads to goon it up, I'd sign Stortini just for that game.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
For the season or in the meetings between the 2 teams?

For the season when you take out shootout goals:

144 for Toronto
142 for Montreal

You mean overall! I was talking about head to head - that they finish their chances against us. Not only that, when you see the highlights from their games, it's mostly those guys passing cross crease and/or sniping. I wonder how much those numbers change if you filter out D men.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
:help::help::help:

What is this?

That's called sarcasm since the board would collapse Saturday if we lose to the Leafs.

People would complain and want DD's ice time cut or moved to a different line or benched or traded.

Wait a minute..........:sarcasm:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I would rest Prust, that's it...then manage ice time with Markov...would love to see the Habs redeem themselves saturday night with a win...

I dont see the need to rest Prust. Sure, you could make that statement if Therrien was playing Prust where he should be.........on the 3rd line.

But Prust is now a 4th liner and it is irrelevant because that line is incapable of producing any offense.

As it stands now, Prust, Moen, Armstrong, Halpern, Dumont, White, Blunden are all interchangeable without any difference on the scoreboard.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Are Stortini and Hagel under contract? Can we call them up?

No.

Too late. MB had the chance with 8-10 tough guy waivers that he passed on. Doubt seriously that he would act now to sign Stortini.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Sucks.

Poor Prust. Toronto will goon it up.

As they should.

If I were the coach of the Leafs, that is exactly what I would do. It's worked in the past and other teams have shown that if you get real physical with the Habs at the beginning of the game, they typically do not perform as well.

The Leafs and the Bruins like to goon it up against the Habs because they can. They typically do not goon it up against each other because each team has the manpower to fight back and play on that level.

Maybe one day Bergevin will grasp that concept.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
As they should.

If I were the coach of the Leafs, that is exactly what I would do. It's worked in the past and other teams have shown that if you get real physical with the Habs at the beginning of the game, they typically do not perform as well.

The Leafs and the Bruins like to goon it up against the Habs because they can. They typically do not goon it up against each other because each team has the manpower to fight back and play on that level.

Maybe one day Bergevin will grasp that concept.

"in" before the soft hfboard army

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad