Pre-Game Talk: Who do we rest for Saturday's game against the Leafs?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
No one, this team still needs to get much better before the PO.

Agreed with this. No need for rest, as the first playoff game isn't till the earliest on Tuesday. The way this team has been playing the last 2-3 weeks, they need to be as sharp as possible. The Leafs aren't some unbeatable team.

This team will be playing for the division and not have the loser mentality so many have around here.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Markov and Prust for sure. This is a meaningless game for Leafs and they might just try to goon it.

Not meaningless to leafs, unfortunately for us. Ottawa could catch them. Then they are playing the Caps.

I think anyone injured who could benefit from an extra two days rest should sit, and Marky. Too bad we will not know what Laffs lineup plans are.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What's your point? I never said we were.

I never said you claimed we were unbeatable.

It was just a reminder that basically the Leafs have had our number this year. So that kinda makes them unbeatable for us.

Also, everyone is excited about last night's game. Last night's game worries me more than any other game we've had in the last few weeks.

In the first two periods the Jets were making us look silly. After the 2nd intermission when they found out they were out for good they weren't putting up much of a fight.

We didn't win it. The Jets lost it.

So I agree with you this team does need to get a whole lot more sharp in a real hurry.

Now does that mean playing all our players or resting half the team? Your guess is as good as mine but not half as good as Therrein's.

Lionel Mandrake

If they want rest, all they have to do is sweep whoever they play in the 1st round . They'll get plenty of rest then. :)

This is too fragile a team to mail the last one in. They need to keep building momentum. In game minute management is the best they can expect.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
this game is not so meaningless as it seems, if the leafs lose and the sens get 4 points they get the 5 th place and the leafs plays the caps. If we win and Boston does not get at least 3 points we win the division. So sit Bouillon for Drewiskie and Halpern for Dumont and we are good to go.

I would prefer to play the sens, rangers before playing the leafs for sure. But if we play the leafs i would say 70% chances we need to send a message and make them doubt. Right now they think they are superior and we need them to think otherwise.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Well here is my prediction this weekend.
Ottawa is going to win their last two games
Montreal will beat Toronto

Montreal takes 2nd and plays either the Islanders or Rangers
Ottawa plays Boston
Toronto plays Wash
Pittsburgh gets one of NY teams.

My dream weekend.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I would rest Prust, that's it...then manage ice time with Markov...would love to see the Habs redeem themselves saturday night with a win...

We need Prust on the ice against the leafs.
Would be a bad move to sit him and let toronton run around like headless goons.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Seems like you have a lot of confidence in Price.

I do. I just don't have a lot of confidence in this defence, right now. If we're going to face Toronto in the first round, I'd rather not let a meaningless final regular season game let any doubt creep in.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
this is a meaningless game for the Leafs. Their goons will get 20 minutes of ice time for sure. They will come out looking to hit everything that moves. They will key on Markov and Subban and try to intimidate anyone they can going into Tuesday

I would sit Markov and play Budaj.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
this is a meaningless game for the Leafs. Their goons will get 20 minutes of ice time for sure. They will come out looking to hit everything that moves. They will key on Markov and Subban and try to intimidate anyone they can going into Tuesday

I would sit Markov and play Budaj.

I disagree. I am sure they want to play the Habs first round not the Caps.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I do. I just don't have a lot of confidence in this defence, right now. If we're going to face Toronto in the first round, I'd rather not let a meaningless final regular season game let any doubt creep in.

How is it a meaningless game if the Habs can still win the division?

habfan1968

Dec 19, 2006
I would love to see a Boston vs. Toronto first round 7 game series. Let them beat the crap out of each other and see the winner later. Taking the division and 2nd overall should be a priority for us, confidence and home ice etc.. Rest Prust, let Moen play.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Glad that I'm not the only one who wants to win the division and who sees a good possibility of it happening if we get a ROW.

I thought they were already resting since clinching.

Haha!:laugh:

No, they can win one, lose 1.

That loss has to be an OT one, though...

Exact.

Not that meaningless though...I doubt they want to play WSH, so they'll likely try to win and lock up 5th.

Yup, and that's why I don't think they'll be gooning it as much since it'll send them to the box. Their PK is good, but if they knew that possibly playing the Caps was on the line vs playing us, I don't think they'd risk it too much. Plus they can simply win using their scoring and good D system. Also, we can just ignore all of the scrums and just play our game. Play for 2nd! Forget the leafs.

It's rubs me the wrong way to close out the season getting smacked by the Leafs in 4 out of 5 games. Bring a good effort.

Winning our last game against them + playing the rangers (possibly) first round, despite their recent success, would be an ideal situation. Even playing the Isles. We match up decently.

So we "surrender" to the Leafs because we are afraid that Markov, Prust and a few others might be targeted by the Leafs goons.

And for that, we get to play the Leafs in the first round where the Leafs goons will target Markov, Prust and a few others.

Makes sense.:huh:

This is what I don't get. People who want to hide from the leafs for one game, but not for the series that most likely ensues which will be twice as intense.

I think Boston will rest their players against either the Caps or the Sens, and will probably lose 1 of these 2 weekend games. It would do wonders for the morale and confidence of this team if we beat the Leafs by a big margin and consequently win our division at the Bruins' expense. I say rest no one and go all-in, but when the game gets out of reach for either team, you stop playing your top players.

I think this is possible too. I don't think they are as invested in the division title as us. I think they might even want to play the leafs. Not saying they throw those games, but I can definitely see them losing one of those games. If the scenario happens Sat night itself, this board will be in party mode!

Nobody. Attempt to win the division and watch Boston and Toronto dismantle each other in the first round.

Right on, and what many people have noted. When people are thinking about the playoffs, how do they not see that this is a great situation (two physical teams taking each other out, one technically, the other physically)? Think about 93 and having the Pens out of the way. IF we believe the team can go deep in the playoffs with a little magic, we also might need some strategic luck in the brackets.

I'd just put Dumont in for Prust. Moen would be fine too. Beaulieu maybe for Boullion.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
A tie between Montreal and Boston goes to Montreal I think due to the fact the ROW would equal and Montreal winning the head to head. Thatb eing said Boston plays at washngton tomorrow who is more then likely going to rest their stars in the last gane of their regular season (I don't see Boston losing that one) and if they do then they're at home to Ottawa who by then more then likely will have nothing to play for either.

Montreal should rest

Gallagher - plays too hard -
Subban - Has a target ion his back -
Markov - Old Knees
Gionta - Old
Gorges - Plays hard every night
PLekanec - Deserves a break
Prust - need him rested
Pacioretty - don't risk injury

Montreal called up eight guys so they should play those same eight guys
and play Weber and kaberle too as well as White who's supsension is now over and dumont.

Habtchum*

rest your only tough guy again the leafs ? Only on hfboards:laugh:

Prust is still injured, and I don't want to lose him in a fight against Orr or McLaren in a meaningless game. I don't mind losing Moen, Blunden or White.

Habs should just sit ay #4 overall and get a chance to draft before the Bruins at the next draft.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Prust is still injured, and I don't want to lose him in a fight against Orr or McLaren in a meaningless game. I don't mind losing Moen, Blunden or White.

Habs should just sit ay #4 overall and get a chance to draft before the Bruins at the next draft.

You need Prust again Toronto. And Moen too. White too

Last edited:

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
You know the Laffs are going to goon it up. I don't want Prust fighting before the playoffs.

Therefore, dress White and Moen and maybe even Blunden to get some size and some toughness to face the goons.

As for Markov, limit his minutes (mostly PP and limited 5 on 5).

Price has to play to get that confidence back. He's looked better in his last two starts and needs to be in top form for next week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad