Speculation: Who Cracks the Roster Out of Training Camp?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
First 9 games.

Dzingel - Duchene - Formenton
Tkachuk - White - Stone
Boedker - Pageau - Ryan
Paarji - Brown - Smith
Pyatt

Chabot - Karlsson
Wolanin - Ceci
Boro - Wideman
Harpur

After 9 games.

Dzingel - Duchene - White
Boedker - Brown - Stone
Smith -Pageau - Ryan
Paarji - Chlapik - Pyatt

Chabot - Karlsson
Wolanin - Ceci
Boro - Wideman
Harpur

Honestly there are so many moving factors here.

Garrioch mentioned that they are still trying to trade Smith and if they can't before training camp they are looking for him to switch back to center.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would like for Brown and Batherson to refine their game in the AHL.

Its absolutely where they should go, in my opinion none of Tkachuk, Batherson, Formenton, Chlapik and Brown should play this year unless its just for a cup of coffee and a call up here or there. All of these players need time to develop, whether its physically, skill, or just getting lots of reps I want them to be impact players and be 'the man' on their respective teams. Rushing them is not the way to go in the long run. This team has a good group of forward prospects but they need to learn to play the pro game or in Tkachuk and Formentons case dominate and score ALOT in jr. Hoffman, Dzingel, Pageau, Stone, Smith etc all played alot of games in the AHL before coming up I dont see why it would be any difference with this new group of prospects.

I am with most posters here and think that we will see White make the team along with Mccormick and Paul. I know I sound like a broken record but im still really hoping they atleast invite Pius Suter to camp, I was hoping for a one year deal but at the very least id like to see him try and win a spot. They brought him in last year and he had a terrific year in the swiss league would be a shame not to explore him as an option.

What I am hoping for

Boedker Duchene Ryan
Dzingel Pageau Stone
Smith Suter White
Paarjarvi Paul Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot Karlsson
Wolanin Ceci
Boro Wideman
Englund/Harpur/Jaros

I think with a mobile D core like that this team could have some success if they are willing to push the pace and retain the puck.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Brown and Drake seemed close to ready last year if they have improved on that they can definitely make the NHL

this is a young mans game now

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
This made me look at the open spots and realizing there is simply not enough room for all these guys that are on the cusp. Brown, White, Chlapik, Batherson, Tkachuk, Formenton, Gagne, Paul etc.

Dzingel - Duchene - Stone
Boedker - Pageau - Ryan
Paarjarvi - Smith - Gaborik
XXX -McCormick - Pyatt

All 1 way contracts, essentially leaving one open spot.

Gaborik wasn't bought out. Is he still injured? Is he gonna retire? Who knows.
Smith still yet to be traded.
Pyatt, why is he still around.
McCormick, why was he given a 1 way contract in the first place, it's not like the dude had other options and leverage.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
NHL Forwards:
  1. Duchene
  2. Stone
  3. Ryan
  4. Boedker
  5. Smith
  6. Pageau
  7. Dzingle
  8. Pyatt
  9. MPS
Assuming McCormick stays as a 13/14F, Gaborik is out for a while, and who knows where Carey will end up but that leaves 2-3 spots for Brown, White, Batherson, Chlapik, Forms, Tkachuk, Paul. Regardless of how it all plays out, its great to see there's have quite a few guys knocking at the door. It'll make for a fun training camp

Reactions: Karlstrobe

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brown and Drake seemed close to ready last year if they have improved on that they can definitely make the NHL

this is a young mans game now

How can you gauge is a player is close to ready if they have not played pro? Seems like wishful thinking. What I saw from Brown when I watched him this year was that he isnt close to ready from a physicality and compete perspective. Considering we all want the same thing for this organization which is success why role the dice and risk it when they have the option to play them in all situations in the AHL?

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
How can you gauge is a player is close to ready if they have not played pro? Seems like wishful thinking. What I saw from Brown when I watched him this year was that he isnt close to ready from a physicality and compete perspective. Considering we all want the same thing for this organization which is success why role the dice and risk it when they have the option to play them in all situations in the AHL?

I guess it all depends on your philosophy of player development. I think he could benefit from getting 13-15 minutes a night in a 3rd line role with competent wingers and getting sheltered offensive zone starts.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I guess it all depends on your philosophy of player development. I think he could benefit from getting 13-15 minutes a night in a 3rd line role with competent wingers and getting sheltered offensive zone starts.

Well traditionally when the sens have been successful developing players they have them play in the AHL for significant amount of time. When they dont we see situations like Lazar, Ceci, Cowen and to an extent Zibanejad. Zibanejad was very complacent which I believe was partially because he was handed an NHL spot and never had to really compete for it.

Secondly if your philosophy isnt to take your time developing players you are a terrible executive. Time and time again has it been proven the more time you take with developing players the better results you have. If you have been following the sens almost all of the players that have developed the best were players that came in later or they took their time with them.

Not only that but there are countless other examples, Detroits success for years and years was because they took their time with players. Pittsburgh has currently been churning out late round picks because they let them season in the AHL. Tampa is currently doing it as well.

Then you can take a look at organizations like Carolina and Edmonton who consistently rush players and the results speak for themselves.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Sens are 6M below the cap, he definitely is not starting on LTIR.

LTIR doesn't exempt you from the cap, it just allows teams to go in excess of it. So there's no cap savings from having a player on LTIR, ever.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Sens are 6M below the cap, he definitely is not starting on LTIR.

If Gaborik's contract is insured, the only way any of it is covered is if he's on LTIR. If he is not healthy, he will be on LTIR. LTIR allows you to exceed the cap but it also allows you to save money. The former is not a benefit for the Sens, but the latter is.

Well traditionally when the sens have been successful developing players they have them play in the AHL for significant amount of time. When they dont we see situations like Lazar, Ceci, Cowen and to an extent Zibanejad. Zibanejad was very complacent which I believe was partially because he was handed an NHL spot and never had to really compete for it.

I wouldn't say Zibanejad was rushed. He played 23 AHL games in his D+2 season and 6 in his D+3 season. IIRC, people were livid and horrified that he was eschewed to the AHL in his D+3. In his D+2 season he posted 20pts in 42 NHL games and in his D+3 he posted 33pts in 69 games. I know he didn't make the opening roster in his D+3, can't remember D+2 (and he got 9 games in his D+1, a season where we had terrible winger depth).

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Its absolutely where they should go, in my opinion none of Tkachuk, Batherson, Formenton, Chlapik and Brown should play this year unless its just for a cup of coffee and a call up here or there. All of these players need time to develop, whether its physically, skill, or just getting lots of reps I want them to be impact players and be 'the man' on their respective teams. Rushing them is not the way to go in the long run. This team has a good group of forward prospects but they need to learn to play the pro game or in Tkachuk and Formentons case dominate and score ALOT in jr. Hoffman, Dzingel, Pageau, Stone, Smith etc all played alot of games in the AHL before coming up I dont see why it would be any difference with this new group of prospects.

I am with most posters here and think that we will see White make the team along with Mccormick and Paul. I know I sound like a broken record but im still really hoping they atleast invite Pius Suter to camp, I was hoping for a one year deal but at the very least id like to see him try and win a spot. They brought him in last year and he had a terrific year in the swiss league would be a shame not to explore him as an option.

What I am hoping for

Boedker Duchene Ryan
Dzingel Pageau Stone
Smith Suter White
Paarjarvi Paul Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot Karlsson
Wolanin Ceci
Boro Wideman
Englund/Harpur/Jaros

I think with a mobile D core like that this team could have some success if they are willing to push the pace and retain the puck.

This is more realistically what the lineup with look like what I have no clue where Suter comes from and nor should we be interested.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Locks: White, McCormick, Wolanin, Tkachuk (9 games)
Camp battle: 3C: Brown/Chlapik / 4C: Paul/Carey
AHL/Juniors: Batherson, Formenton, Gagne, Jaros, ect

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Boedker - Duchene - White
Dzingel - Brown - Stone
Tkachuk - Pageau - Ryan
Paarjarvi - Smith/Chlapik - Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot Karlsson
Wolanin Ceci
Boro Wideman
Jaros/Harpur

Anderson
Condon
Gustavsson

This is also my most optimistic version of the Sens roster. Don't think it'll play out like this though. So many potential moving parts and I think main camp will decide a lot.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I like Macormick for the 4th line...Dont really get all the hate,he works hard can produce and is willing to go to war for his teammates....A league min salary is really nothing to complain about,Ditto for Harpur,why lose a big kid that had shown some promise over a 700k deal ...People really make mountains over molehills with certain guys

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is more realistically what the lineup with look like what I have no clue where Suter comes from and nor should we be interested.

Well if you read my post you would see that I specifically wrote 'they invited him to camp last year' he followed that up by having an incredible season. So you dont know who he is but are certain he shouldnt play on this team despite having little to no quality depth.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Boucher says he’d love to have a young guy on each line.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Well if you read my post you would see that I specifically wrote 'they invited him to camp last year' he followed that up by having an incredible season. So you dont know who he is but are certain he shouldnt play on this team despite having little to no quality depth.

You love the ol assumption train eh? Suter will not be coming back over to NA this year for sure and I highly doubt he'd want to come to this dumpster fire when Zurich had a decent season in the NL last year.

You a glass half empty kind of guy ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad