Speculation: Who Cracks the Roster Out of Training Camp?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Forwards
  • Brady Tkachuk
  • Logan Brown
  • Colin White
  • Nick Paul
  • Max McCormick
  • Filip Chlapik
  • Alex Formenton
  • Drake Batherson
  • Gabriel Gagne
  • Adam Tambellini
Defense
  • Christian Jaros
  • Christian Wolanin

*Note: Max McCormick has a one way contract this year and Nick Paul is waiver eligible.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Assuming no EK trade before the season:

Boedker - Duchene - Ryan
Dzingel - Pageau - Stone
Smith - ????? - Gaborik
Paajarvi - Carey - Pyatt
McCormick, Paul

Harpur - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

????? = best of White/Chlapik/Brown
***** = best of Wolanin/Jaros

That's what I am expecting.

Should keep both Wolanin and Jaros in the AHL to be the top pairing on a contender, barring an unexpectedly great training camp/pre-season from one of them to force themselves on the roster.

I'd add a D or two on a PTO to challenge those two guys. Think guys like Davidson/Jakubek/Quincey.

Reactions: Cosmix

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
White, Paul and McCormick.

The organization thinks highly enough of White that he played his first NHL game in the playoffs two seasons ago (like they did with Stone). Also, he was basically a regular towards of the end of last season. I think this one is a no-brainer.

Both Paul and McCormick make the team due to their contract and waiver eligibility. I think Paul gets a very short leash, and is probably thrown on waivers 10-12 games in in favor of Chlapik. McCormick stays on the team even if he's a healthy scratch. Sounds like he a great guy in the locker room and brings a ton of energy in his play.

One of Jaros or Wolanin (maybe even Lajoie or Englund if they have a great camp) makes the team because Boucher loves to have 7 defensemen on the team, and we rotate them in and out of the lineup. I think all of those 4 get rotated up and down from the AHL as the 7th D to get some NHL experience. Whoever of those 4 that has the best camp gets the first shot as being the #7.

Brown spends more time refining his game at the AHL.

Tkachuk and Batherson go straight to the CHL. Formenton gets <10 games on the Sens before also going to the CHL.

Starting lineup would look like this (21 players):

Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
White-Pageau-Stone
Bodker-Smith-Pyatt(Gaborik)
Paul-McCormick-Paajarvi
LTIR: Gaborik

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur/Jaros-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Reactions: Samboni

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have always liked Andreas Englund for you guys.

I know he's played the majority of the last two seasons for you in the AHL since coming over, any chance he might get in as a 6 or 7 D?

Edit: Kinda reminds me of Korbian Holzer. When the Leafs were rebuilding, would play 20-30 games and then the Leafs ended up trading him for an asset as the got better defense. Could maybe be a similar situation as the Sens retool/rebuild?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Rosters are generally determined by contracts, so there really there aren't many openings right now. We have ten guys on one-way deals [Duchene, Dzingel, Ryan, Boedker, Stone, Smith, Pageau, Pyatt, Paajarvi, McCormick] so I guess there are 2 or 3 opening with one of them being the 13th forward.

Dzingel-Duchene-[1]
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Boedker-[2]-Ryan
Paajarvi-McCormick-Pyatt
[3]

[1] is likely a battle between White and Tkachuk, perhaps with Batherson as a dark horse
[2] will be either Brown or Chlapik
[3] is a depth forward position so probably Paul or Carey. I wouldn't bury a real prospect here.

They should be scouring the trade market, PTO market, and waiver wire for a left defenseman. How can you expect to win games with Boro/Ceci/Harpur/Wideman as your 3-6 guys? We have an immediate - and dire - need here and no real internal option unless Wolanin has an absolutely stellar camp.

Reactions: derriko

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Assuming no trades
Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Boedker-White-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Pyatt
McCormick-Paul-MPS

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur-Ceci :(
Boro-Wideman

Anderson
Condon

Reactions: senswon

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Assuming no EK trade before the season:

Boedker - Duchene - Ryan
Dzingel - Pageau - Stone
Smith - ????? - Gaborik
Paajarvi - Carey - Pyatt
McCormick, Paul

Harpur - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

????? = best of White/Chlapik/Brown
***** = best of Wolanin/Jaros

That's what I am expecting.

Should keep both Wolanin and Jaros in the AHL to be the top pairing on a contender, barring an unexpectedly great training camp/pre-season from one of them to force themselves on the roster.

I'd add a D or two on a PTO to challenge those two guys. Think guys like Davidson/Jakubek/Quincey.

Wouldn't it make more sense given that this organization is going through a rebuild/retool to give roster spots to prospects that have a long term chance with the Sens? It really isn't clear what the long term or even short term plan is but it doesn't really make much sense to fill out the roster with AHL players who aren't going to stick around long term. Players like Paul Carey and Chase Bailsy are only stop gaps so I don't see much of the point for them to take on NHL roles.

McCormick has a one way contract so he likely gets a good chance at a 12th or 13th forward role even though he doesn't look like a long term piece. Nick Paul could still be a long term piece and given he is waiver eligible he also likely gets a solid look at 12th or 13th forward role. Filip Chlapik may or may not be a long term piece but he is closer to being NHL ready so he likely gets a solid look.

Brady Tkachuk, Logan Brown, Colin White, Alex Formenton and Drake Batherson all seem like core pieces moving forward so they could get serious looks to make the team and may push players out of roles by the end of the year if they spend part of the season in the AHL.

Gabriel Gagne and Adam Tambellini seem like dark horse prospects to crack the roster. They both have big frames, are fairly fast and have high quality shooting ability. They may or may not be long term pieces and they are right around the age where the organization would likely want to know what kind of player they are capable of and whether they have NHL potential.

There is even a chance that some of these prospects might be considered as tradeable assets if they don't prove to be long term pieces quickly.

As for defense both Jaros and Wolanin have a decent chance to crack the roster and it makes more sense to give them a spot if they will take on a meaningful role and play regularly. Otherwise like you said they should get sent back down.

From an entertainment standpoint it seems to make more sense to have a bunch of prospects make the jump at the same time and then begin building the team around them. Stone, Duchene, Karlsson and Chabot are the only current roster players that are real long term pieces and the ones to build around.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Let the kids play ffs, this team needs excitement even if we lose atleast we will see some light and maybe it will convince our older core players to sign if they see our younger players show some promise

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Like most people here, I’m a big proponent of us playing the youth. If there’s one thing GMPD has done, it’s stock the farm with capable AHL talent. With a lot of the kids turning pro, the latest being Tkachuk, it’s Belleville with the surplus of bodies, however with the big boys there’s plenty a spot up for grabs. We didn’t sign the likes of Paul Carey, Chase Balisi, and Adam Tambellini to play NHL games, minus the occurrence of catastrophic injuries. I think the Sens intend to roll with as much youth as possible, and sprinkle them in throughout the line up. They also know there isn’t much in the way of positivity around the team and market, so showcasing a lot of the future this year as regulars makes sense from a marketing perspective. They have also indicated they won’t make the same mistake as last year in terms of overplaying veterans. On another note, there’s next to nothing left on the free agent market but I’d like to see us grab Enstrom. And before someone says anything, he’s not comparable to Oduya. Can actually play still. Excellent defender and can log big minutes, just don’t expect any offence.

Ideal lines barring trade:

Boedker Duchene Batherson
Dzingel Brown Stone
Thachuk White Ryan
Smith Pageau Pyatt
Pajaarvi (spare)
Gaborik (LTIR)

Enstrom Karlsson
Chabot Ceci
Borowiecki Wideman
Harpur (spare)

Paul and Mccormick can be waived and sent down. Doubt they’re claimed, but if they are, big whoop. Wolanin likely first callup on D.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Chlapik and White should make it out of camp. I’m sure McCormick will spend the whole year up since he has a one - way deal, he’ll be a waste of space up here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Tkachuk signs, he gets 1 to 9 games, then down to the AHL or London unless he's dominating.

I suspect Brown gets some games before going back to Belleville. Again, unless he dominates. Perhaps not at the same time as Tkachuk though.

White should be a lock.

Wolanin should be a lock though perhaps as the 7th D.

Once the 9 game trials and get a taste of the big league games are done, I think Carey and McCormick come up.

What I expect:

Boedker-Duchene-Ryan
Dzingel-Pageau-Stone
Smith-White-McCormick
Paajarvi-Carey-Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Boro/Harpur-Wideman

* I suspect Gaborik will get hurt in preseason or something. Guy can't stay healthy. Alternatively, Ryan will break a finger and Gaborik will fill his spot.

What would be interesting, but not necessarilly in the best interest of the team:

Boedker-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Dzingel-Pageau-Batherson
Paajarvi-Smith-Pyatt
*would like to fit in Chlapik, trade smith maybe?

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Boro/Harpur-Wideman
* not sure how to fit Jaros in (probaly in Wideman's spot), but I'd love to see him.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
* I suspect Gaborik will get hurt in preseason or something. Guy can't stay healthy. Alternatively, Ryan will break a finger and Gaborik will fill his spot.

Gaborik's not going to be participating in camp. He recently said that he still isn't cleared to go on the ice, and the earliest he could return to playing is probably in December.

He's starting on LTIR.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
The only thing the Sens are missing this year is the bus to get them from game to game. Definitely moving in the wrong direction. A combo package of NHL and AHL'ers sprinkled with "ray of hope" youth picks. Gotta start somewhere I guess, when your only view is up!

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Like most people here, I’m a big proponent of us playing the youth. If there’s one thing GMPD has done, it’s stock the farm with capable AHL talent. With a lot of the kids turning pro, the latest being Tkachuk, it’s Belleville with the surplus of bodies, however with the big boys there’s plenty a spot up for grabs. We didn’t sign the likes of Paul Carey, Chase Balisi, and Adam Tambellini to play NHL games, minus the occurrence of catastrophic injuries. I think the Sens intend to roll with as much youth as possible, and sprinkle them in throughout the line up. They also know there isn’t much in the way of positivity around the team and market, so showcasing a lot of the future this year as regulars makes sense from a marketing perspective

Ideal lines barring trade:

Boedker Duchene Batherson
Dzingel Brown Stone
Thachuk White Ryan
Smith Pageau Pyatt
Pajaarvi (spare)
Gaborik (LTIR)

Enstrom Karlsson
Chabot Ceci
Borowiecki Wideman
Harpur (spare)

Paul and Mccormick can be waived and sent down. Doubt they’re claimed, but if they are, big whoop. Wolanin likely first callup on D.

I would like for Brown and Batherson to refine their game in the AHL.

Reactions: bert

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Boedker - Duchene - Dzingle
Smith - White - Stone
Pajarvi - Pageau - Ryan
McCormick - Pyatt - Paul
*Gaborik to return around January

Chabot - EK
Wolanin - Ceci
Boro - Wideman
Harpur

Andy
Condon

I really don’t anticipate much ice time for any of our top prospects. Belleville will have a 180' season. Lots of experience to be gained for those kids.

This is a definite “trust the process” year. Luckily I feel like we can ‘over achieve’ those expectations.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This should be the yr they clean house & I expect that by the trade deadline Ottawa should have traded Pyatt, Paajarvi, Carey, Wideman & maybe one or two of Smith, Pageau, Dzingel, Ryan, EK, Harpur & Anderson. The roster that starts the yr should be very different from the team that ends they yr IMO unless by some miracle they happen to be in a playoff position by the deadline. I also expect that Gaborik will either be bought out or on long term disability. Tkachuk, White, McCormick should make it at forward & Wolanin on defence.

To Start the Yr:
Boedker - Duchene - Stone
Tkachuk - White - Ryan
Dzingel - Pageau - Pyatt
Paajarvi - Smith - Pyatt/McCormick

Chabot - EK
Wolanin - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman/Harpur

Anderson - Condon

To End the Yr:
Boedker - Duchene - Stone
Tkachuk - White - Ryan