Speculation: Who Cracks the Roster Out of Training Camp?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Forwards
  • Brady Tkachuk
  • Logan Brown
  • Colin White
  • Nick Paul
  • Max McCormick
  • Filip Chlapik
  • Alex Formenton
  • Drake Batherson
  • Gabriel Gagne
  • Adam Tambellini
Defense
  • Christian Jaros
  • Christian Wolanin

*Note: Max McCormick has a one way contract this year and Nick Paul is waiver eligible.
Personally I think, Formenton, Brown and White make the club to start and Wolanin on defense also makes it in.

Reactions: Sensinitis

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Then why bring it up again ? We stopped discussing it days ago, are you trying to shame me here?

You went out of your way to argue with me for no reason whatsoever and were incorrect. Not only that you insulted me along the way, so yes I am going to bring it up.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brown needs time in the AHL to learn how to use his very clear size advantages against men.

I have no doubts he is skilled enough, but he needs to learn how to use his body and what will and won't work at the pro level.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Have to see the young guys play before trying to predict anything. My hope is Brown takes the 2nd line center position. This morning they discussed how high Stone is on Brown, and wouldn't mind playing with him. Sounds like a G'N R song!

Reactions: Micklebot

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think we all know that the actual regular season roster is not intact until about the beginning of November. At that point, it's when most teams start to send their top prospects back to junior after a good look & their top minor league players back to the farm teams who are not quite NHL ready. Once the above is done I expect these five guys below to be on the team on a regular basis, I also expect we could see a surprise or two this yr. What I hope we don't see is any GB players that he has brought in from obscurity forcing them onto the roster. I also hope we see PD move out a number of players that were here last yr in Ottawa & Belleville leading up to the trade deadline & accumulating assets.

I expect that Chabot/White/Paul/Wolanin/McCormick should all be permanent roster players by Christmas & Jaros, if Wideman is traded.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
McCormick at one-way is the easiest to clear waivers while Tkachuk & Forementon gets extended looks. Also, I don't see the excitement and enthusiasm for Batherson from posters here as much as I saw pre-WJHA '20 summer tourney. Sure the younger Forementon is shining brighter, but did something change wrt Batherson that I may have missed?

I also expect Nick Paul to be waived, even if he initially survives the cut, maybe he gets picked up. His issue from what I understand is his inability to follow the game plan, not skills, size, and speed. Paul thinks he is top-6 type player, coach wants him to play as a 4th line grinder because of his size and reach.

Last edited:

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
This org has rushed first round picks and none outside of Karlsson has reached their maximum potential and he is a generational talent.

It's fair point. I will mention that Hossa and Havlat were both eased in with 4th line minutes and they turned out pretty well. But I do generally agree with the over-ripen strategy.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's fair point. I will mention that Hossa and Havlat were both eased in with 4th line minutes and they turned out pretty well. But I do generally agree with the over-ripen strategy.

They were broken in properly, they were also way better prospects than anyone in the organization right now and that was a different group entirely running the organization top to bottom. Who lets get serious, have way more experience and a way better track record then the current group.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Stone had an interview recently and he seemed to imply that guys could lose spots to prospects if they aren't ready at training camp. Given Melnyk's comments of adding 10 prospects this year and 15 in total by next year it makes me wonder if they will waive certain players if they aren't good enough in training camp.

Also Melnyk's comments suggest a number of players could be pushing for spots this training camp. The list likely includes Tkachuk,Brown, Batherson, Formenton, White, Chlapik, Gagne, Paul and McCormick up front, with an outside chance of Tambellini because he is still arguable a prospect. On D that list would include Jaros, Wolanin, Englund and Lajoie.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boucher ,, say what you want about his systems ,, which need an overhaul, I agree.. is a hockey man and imo a pretty good one.. This must make him puke what management is doing to this team. He's a coach and he will try to do his job but he must be shaking his head. I hope he loves a challenge.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Melnyk/Dorion have to move a lot of existing contracts to play this game. And soon.

I'd expect prospects coming back in any Karlsson, Duchene or Stone deals to be added to the list of potentials. Duchene to the Islanders for Dobson + could be a reasonable thought. Have to be quick though before Islanders fall in love with Dobson.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
White, Paul and McCormick.

The organization thinks highly enough of White that he played his first NHL game in the playoffs two seasons ago (like they did with Stone). Also, he was basically a regular towards of the end of last season. I think this one is a no-brainer.

Both Paul and McCormick make the team due to their contract and waiver eligibility. I think Paul gets a very short leash, and is probably thrown on waivers 10-12 games in in favor of Chlapik. McCormick stays on the team even if he's a healthy scratch. Sounds like he a great guy in the locker room and brings a ton of energy in his play.

One of Jaros or Wolanin (maybe even Lajoie or Englund if they have a great camp) makes the team because Boucher loves to have 7 defensemen on the team, and we rotate them in and out of the lineup. I think all of those 4 get rotated up and down from the AHL as the 7th D to get some NHL experience. Whoever of those 4 that has the best camp gets the first shot as being the #7.

Brown spends more time refining his game at the AHL.

Tkachuk and Batherson go straight to the CHL. Formenton gets <10 games on the Sens before also going to the CHL.

Starting lineup would look like this (21 players):

Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
White-Pageau-Stone
Bodker-Smith-Pyatt(Gaborik)
Paul-McCormick-Paajarvi
LTIR: Gaborik

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur/Jaros-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

https://www.tsn.ca/senators-reveal-more-pieces-of-rebuilding-plan-1.1171909

Based on how things are going to shake out to start training camp, it appears as though Jean-Gabriel Pageau has an inside track on the second-line centre position. As it stands now, Pageau is set to be flanked by Mark Stone on the right side and an educated guess would put rookie Brady Tkachuk on the left.
Dorion was gushing about Tkachuk’s ability and believes he may be ready for NHL games right away.
At this point, Duchene heads into the season as the club’s number-one centre. Ryan Dzingel — who tied for the team lead in goals last season — is pencilled in as the left winger, while the right spot is up for grabs.
Dorion didn’t rule out Colin White — who he said Boucher was pushing for all last season — to be the opening-night right winger. Rookie Drake Batherson is also said to have a shot there.
The only line that appears to be fully formed at this point is the club’s third unit. At the present time, it features Zack Smith back in his role as a centre, with Bobby Ryan on his left side and newcomer Mikkel Boedker on the right.
Max McCormick and Tom Pyatt will be the fourth-line wingers and there will be an audition for the fourth-line centre job in camp. Logan Brown and Filip Chlapik could fit that need — though more seasoning in Belleville might be in store for them.

Dayum, I was pretty close. Had the D-core exactly as Dorion put it. The only thing different on my list was Dorion pushed Ryan to the 3rd line, opening a spot on the 1st.

My list:
Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
White-Pageau-Stone
Bodker-Smith
-Pyatt(Gaborik)
Paul-McCormick-Paajarvi
LTIR: Gaborik

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur/Wolanin
/Jaros-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Dorion's list:
Dzingel-Duchene-(rookie/White?)
(rookie/Tkachuk?)-Pageau-Stone
Bodker-Smith-Ryan
(rookie)-McCormick-Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur/Wolanin-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Either way, I'm pretty confident they'll roll with Dzingel-Duchene, Pageau-Stone, Smith-Bodker as solid duos on each line, and rotate the rest of the roster up and down the lineup.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->