Speculation: Who Cracks the Roster Out of Training Camp?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You love the ol assumption train eh? Suter will not be coming back over to NA this year for sure and I highly doubt he'd want to come to this dumpster fire when Zurich had a decent season in the NL last year.

You a glass half empty kind of guy ?

How do you know that? Link quote anything? And you actually think a player that has a chance to build a career NHL is going to say oh I wanna stay in Zurich instead because they are good... Also this is an opportunity for the player to play because of the 'dumpster fire'. Seems like you are the glass half empty person here. Or the one that is making all of the assumptions, one incredibly inaccurate specifically on a players motivation. He will make 8 times the amount of money and play in the best league in the world. He has also showed the motivation to come over here he played in the OHL.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
How do you know that? Link quote anything? And you actually think a player that has a chance to build a career NHL is going to say oh I wanna stay in Zurich instead because they are good... Also this is an opportunity for the player to play because of the 'dumpster fire'. Seems like you are the glass half empty person here.

Because he's playing in the best league in his home country lol and making decent money to boot.

Would you like to have a bet that he doesn't come over this year? heck, i'll make that bet that he never comes over in here career.

You keep doing you bert

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Why Max McCormick will be on the NHL roster is beyond me. I know it's not a lot of money, but to blatantly waste a roster spot is just bad management.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised by Batherson. If there's one guy I think can jump to the big leagues quickly it'll be him.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Because he's playing in the best league in his home country lol and making decent money to boot.

Would you like to have a bet that he doesn't come over this year? heck, i'll make that bet that he never comes over in here career.

You keep doing you bert

Patronizing comment with absolutely no basis for it. Great job.

You are actually trying to argue a player that has the opportunity to play in the NHL would rather play in Switzerland, if someone offered you a job that paid you 5/10 times the amount you wouldnt go for it?.... How do you explain all the other players that come to play in the NHL from Europe? You know they could all just stay home too. Straw man argument at best. I guess if you have no leg to stand on get personal and call it a day.

I never once said that he WAS coming over I said I hoped they signed him or offered him a PTO. Given the fact that they invited him last season and he played two years in the OHL your argument is trash. He clearly has shown he is willing to play in North America.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Patronizing comment with absolutely no basis for it. Great job.

You are actually trying to argue a player that has the opportunity to play in the NHL would rather play in Switzerland, if someone offered you a job that paid you 5/10 times the amount you wouldnt go for it?.... How do you explain all the other players that come to play in the NHL from Europe? You know they could all just stay home too. Straw man argument at best. I guess if you have no leg to stand on get personal and call it a day.

I never once said that he WAS coming over I said I hoped they signed him or offered him a PTO. Given the fact that they invited him last season and he played two years in the OHL your argument is trash. He clearly has shown he is willing to play in North America.

I really don't care what kind of argument you call it, bottom line is he's not good enough to play in the show.

If anyone is making it personal its you.

Bottom line is the lineup you predicted for next season will not have Suter in it. Isn't what this whole debacle was derived from?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I really don't care what kind of argument you call it, bottom line is he's not good enough to play in the show.

If anyone is making it personal its you.

Bottom line is the lineup you predicted for next season will not have Suter in it. Isn't what this whole debacle was derived from?

He very well might be good enough to play in the NHL.

He's played well against men in an excellent pro league.

He's played well in North America.

He showed well at camp last year.

He still has to prove that he can get the job done over the long haul but there's not much to suggest that he couldn't carve out an NHL career. I'd bet he would be one of our top 13 forwards this year if we ignored contract status.

Reactions: bert

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Can McCormick not start in the AHL (albeit with the high one-way salary)? And then maybe get brought up after the sens send down Batherson/Formenton/Tkachuk?? Or does he have to start in the NHL and then go through waivers?

There's no way for him to have a roster spot when we already have Paajarvi, Pyatt, Smith, Ryan, Carey?? and maybe Gaborik in our bottom 6. Along with the young guys pushing for spots.

Anyways, I think White is a lock, Brown should make it, and Batherson/Tkachuk/Formenton/Chlapik are toss ups (if there's space). Although I feel that they want Tkachuk playing now.

Reactions: Clayonator

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
He very well might be good enough to play in the NHL.

He's played well against men in an excellent pro league.

He's played well in North America.

He showed well at camp last year.

He still has to prove that he can get the job done over the long haul but there's not much to suggest that he couldn't carve out an NHL career. I'd bet he would be one of our top 13 forwards this year if we ignored contract status.

Playing well in a men's pro league is quite the feat, its just not the best pro league in the world and nor does have any transparency on how his game would translate in the bigger smaller NHL game.

He's played well in North America as in the OHL? If you played well in the OHL your guaranteed to be a sure fire bet in the show right?

Listen, I would more than welcome him coming over to NA and trying to crack the lineup again but I just don't see it happening at this point.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the team will consist primarily of those players who have NHL contracts with a very limited opportunity for the young prospects to earn a spot during training camp.

Boedker - Duchene - Ryan
Dzingel - Pageau - Stone
White - Smith - Gaborik
Paajarvi - Carey - Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot - Karlsson
Wolanin/Harpur - Ceci
Boro - Wideman
Harpur/Wolanin

Reactions: Icelevel and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Playing well in a men's pro league is quite the feat, its just not the best pro league in the world and nor does have any transparency on how his game would translate in the bigger smaller NHL game.

He's played well in North America as in the OHL? If you played well in the OHL your guaranteed to be a sure fire bet in the show right?

Listen, I would more than welcome him coming over to NA and trying to crack the lineup again but I just don't see it happening at this point.

Wait... So you dont see how scouting him and how he played last season has any merit towards how he might perform in the NHL? So why scout any player then. Unless they play in the NHL thats what you are saying.

No idea what your OHL point was either. You know players cant go right to the NHL they have to play somewhere else first. The only reason the OHL was brought up was his obvious choice that he is willing to come to North America to play. After you went on and on about how he wont come over.

You haven't managed to give one reason as to why he wont try to play in the NHL throughout all your posts. Its just your opinion. Of which 0 facts were presented.

Reactions: BondraTime

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
i hope EK plays a game for the sens this season, I want to be a sens fan for atleast another game till im done

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think the team will consist primarily of those players who have NHL contracts with a very limited opportunity for the young prospects to earn a spot during training camp.

Boedker - Duchene - Ryan
Dzingel - Pageau - Stone
White - Smith - Gaborik
Paajarvi - Carey - Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot - Karlsson
Wolanin/Harpur - Ceci
Boro - Wideman
Harpur/Wolanin

Generally agree.. especially down the middle. I think Gaborik is out to start the year so that opens a spot... White will likely play that side . I think Chlapik gets a chance .. Both White and Chlapik will have to have good camps .. I expect Formenton, Brown, Batherson and Tkachuk to give them a very good run.. Formenton will likely go back to junior but I expect his speed to make him stand out again. I think Brown will show some high end skill offensively and will make the decision on sending him down hard. Tkachuk .. have to wait and see. As of now I could see him going to London with Formenton but all options are open.

Reactions: Icelevel and Cosmix

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Boedker-Duchene-Ryan
Dzingel-Brown-Stone
Smith-Pageau-White
Paajarvi-Carey/Paul/Chlapik-Pyatt
McCormick

If brown stays. Could see him joining part way through

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
White and Wolanin almost assuredly but only those two.

I guess maybe Chlapik as well but I am not as high on him as a lot of you are.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Generally agree.. especially down the middle. I think Gaborik is out to start the year so that opens a spot... White will likely play that side . I think Chlapik gets a chance .. Both White and Chlapik will have to have good camps .. I expect Formenton, Brown, Batherson and Tkachuk to give them a very good run.. Formenton will likely go back to junior but I expect his speed to make him stand out again. I think Brown will show some high end skill offensively and will make the decision on sending him down hard. Tkachuk .. have to wait and see. As of now I could see him going to London with Formenton but all options are open.

If Gaborik is injured, I expect Chlapik might earn a spot.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I would like to see Batherson-Brown-Stone and Tkachuk-Duchene-Gagne lines in training camp. I would also like to see Batherson and White get opportunities to play RW on Duchene's line, for Tkachuk and Gagne to play LW on Stone's line and for Formenton to get a chance to play LW on both of Stone and Duchene's line.

I am also interested to see what Tambellini can bring to the table and whether Paul can take that next step and take a bottom six role.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Why Max McCormick will be on the NHL roster is beyond me. I know it's not a lot of money, but to blatantly waste a roster spot is just bad management.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised by Batherson. If there's one guy I think can jump to the big leagues quickly it'll be him.

I don’t mind him. I mean, he’s not great, but he gives you a good, honest effort. That’s something I guess. Also, he gave up his number to Boedker, so he’s got that going for him too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad