Speculation: Who can save Puljujarvi?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If Oilers trade Puljujarvi (as I think they should), what team would give him the best shot at rescuing his NHL career? That's not necessarily the team that gives him the most "opportunity," because he had plenty of that in Edmonton, but one with the track record or capability to coach/teach a forward like him.
Only Edmonton can save Puljujarvi... by letting him go elsewhere ASAP.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Personally, I don’t really care where he was drafted at this point. He’s struggled mightily and is coming off of hip surgery. That’s not someone I want to put on our top line and we have enough middle six wingers that I’m not desperate enough to take the chance for the potential payoff. I don’t see it being a fit at all. Canes are in the business of trying to win games, not rehabilitate other teams struggling prospects. Just my opinion, though.
Seriously! You've got Svechnikov and Nino, and probably Necas. Ferland, maybe, as well as a bunch of guys who are playing their asses off. How in the hell do you justify putting Puljujarvi ahead of any of them? Those types of decisions are how you lose a room, as a coach.
At this point. Puljujarvi starts as a 4th liner on a good team, and earns his way up.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Rangers , would look good with Kakko

Yup. With Kakko coming over a team with little expectation going into next year, I think he would benefit a lot from the situation. Wonder what it would cost to acquire him.

Reactions: slg1963

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If Oilers trade Puljujarvi (as I think they should), what team would give him the best shot at rescuing his NHL career? That's not necessarily the team that gives him the most "opportunity," because he had plenty of that in Edmonton, but one with the track record or capability to coach/teach a forward like him.
I'd rather keep him thanks, and see how he does after the surgery. I have a feeling that we're going to see a different player.

OilCityBoomer

Apr 29, 2019
I think JPs time in Edmonton is over and we should look to trade him. Personally think Winnipeg would be a perfect fit. Package him with Russell and trade for Ehlers. Winnipeg might need a dman if they cant sign all their UFAs and JP can play with Laine again, and we finally get a winger to play with leons and connor. Cap wise is pretty much a wash as well.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I don’t think he is going to be traded. Too much potential to be exactly what the Oilers need. If the Sharks had him they would put him on Jumbos wing. A hall of fame center feeding him passes and in his ear after every shift would do him wonders.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I think JPs time in Edmonton is over and we should look to trade him. Personally think Winnipeg would be a perfect fit. Package him with Russell and trade for Ehlers. Winnipeg might need a dman if they cant sign all their UFAs and JP can play with Laine again, and we finally get a winger to play with leons and connor. Cap wise is pretty much a wash as well.
JPP + Russell doesn’t get you Ehlers

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Do you really thing that is fair value for the Jets . Puljujarvi is a buy low reclaim project , Russell is a buy out over paid contract . Yes Russell plays hard he just is over paid and not good enough at moving the puck in todays NHL . On the other hand Ehlers has value . For the Oilers there no point in trading him . He has no value but he could turn it around and become a very good player . If he bust Edmonton only has to look in the mirror to see who is responsible

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
knock on Pulu is all tools no tool box correct? other known as poor IQ. Which team is good at developing players with that sort of constraint

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
knock on Pulu is all tools no tool box correct? other known as poor IQ. Which team is good at developing players with that sort of constraint

This was the rumour on CBJ passing on him.

Oilers would be selling low especially after hip surgery, it’s unlikely they will ever get fair value. Keep him as he continues his spiral to being a bust.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Zero chance the Jets do that trade......that’s terrible.

Backes42

Jul 20, 2017
I could see the Blues taking a flier on him for Perron. Then probably lose him to Ottawa through waivers

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
probably just needs to look in the mirror, so I am going to say himself......oh and also Gary Roberts

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
come on man, thats brutal. would you trade RNH for Kulikov+struggling winger?

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Based on the highlight reel I think he’s just not all that coordinated and got overrated because of his size and skating. The best bet is probably to forget about being an offensive star in the NHL and concentrate on defense or move to an easier league where he can physically dominate lesser athletes.

Or you make him a better athlete so he can physically dominate lesser athletes in NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad