Speculation: Who can save Puljujarvi?

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Leafs could send McDavid's former Erie linemate Connor Brown and backup goalie Garret Sparks to Oilers for Pulujarvi in a deal that helps both teams! Sparks won Calder Cup as a top AHL goalie last year but has lost Babcock's confidence.

Reactions: McLovin

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
While I would like him in LA because he is what the team needs and should fit well with Kopitar.

His best options are Carolina (Aho) and Winnipeg (Laine). He has had good chemistry with both players before and might get his confidence back playing with someone that knows his game.

So we’re supposed to play Puljujarvi on our top line so he can hopefully rekindle his chemistry with Aho and possibly become an nhl player?

Not likely.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs could be a good opportunity. They need a big RW Sniper and knows Rants quite well. He has no pressure and can fit into the 2nd or 3rd lines.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Based on the highlight reel I think he’s just not all that coordinated and got overrated because of his size and skating. The best bet is probably to forget about being an offensive star in the NHL and concentrate on defense or move to an easier league where he can physically dominate lesser athletes.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Leafs could send McDavid's former Erie linemate Connor Brown and backup goalie Garret Sparks to Oilers for Pulujarvi in a deal that helps both teams! Sparks won Calder Cup as a top AHL goalie last year but has lost Babcock's confidence.

He lost Babcocks confidence because he sucks.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Nice sell job on two shit assets. Sparks lost his confidence because he's a terrible goalie. Brown is an easily acquired/signed type player for nothing assets

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leaf fan here. Would love him.
But why not Winnipeg? Unite him with Laine.

They are both massive and can be beastly, just need to find some consistency.

As a Leaf fan I'd offer Brown+ Rosen/ Borgman for Pulj and Benning/Manning

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If Oilers trade Puljujarvi (as I think they should), what team would give him the best shot at rescuing his NHL career? That's not necessarily the team that gives him the most "opportunity," because he had plenty of that in Edmonton, but one with the track record or capability to coach/teach a forward like him.

Why should they trade him?

At this point it doesn't make sense to give up on him unless someone values him highly.

Not like it makes sense to trade him for a 2nd now to avoid trading him for a 3rd in a couple years.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Leaf fan here. Would love him.
But why not Winnipeg? Unite him with Laine.

They are both massive and can be beastly, just need to find some consistency.

As a Leaf fan I'd offer Brown+ Rosen/ Borgman for Pulj and Benning/Manning

Benning and Manning aren't really on the same level at all.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think, Jokerit should sign him for a year or two. Better money, than in Liiga, better league, and traveling is even tougher, than in the NHL. It can help him to get his game back, and if not, then nothing will help.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Washington. Connolly, Eller, and Kempny (and DSP to an extent) all were able to turn their careers around in DC and guys like Oshie and Niskanen were able to take their games to the next level after joining the Caps. With Connolly likely pricing himself out of DC there could be a nice fit for him riding shotgun with Eller.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
We dont need him simply because he’s the same nationality as two of our best forwards.

The Canes would want him because he is a 6'4", 220+ lbs right-handed winger with enough skill to be a top-5 NHL draft pick in 2016. Who also played the best hockey of his entire life on a line next to Sebastian Aho. It's a high-upside, low-risk gamble.

Aho is the answer to the question. If someone can save Puljujarvi then it is Aho.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The Canes would want him because he is a 6'4", 220+ lbs right-handed winger with enough skill to be a top-5 NHL draft pick in 2016. Who also played the best hockey of his entire life on a line next to Sebastian Aho. It's a high-upside, low-risk gamble.

Aho is the answer to the question. If someone can save Puljujarvi then it is Aho.

Personally, I don’t really care where he was drafted at this point. He’s struggled mightily and is coming off of hip surgery. That’s not someone I want to put on our top line and we have enough middle six wingers that I’m not desperate enough to take the chance for the potential payoff. I don’t see it being a fit at all. Canes are in the business of trying to win games, not rehabilitate other teams struggling prospects. Just my opinion, though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So mcdavid couldn't save him but somebody else can? LMAO

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Personally, I don’t really care where he was drafted at this point. He’s struggled mightily and is coming off of hip surgery. That’s not someone I want to put on our top line and we have enough middle six wingers that I’m not desperate enough to take the chance for the potential payoff. I don’t see it being a fit at all. Canes are in the business of trying to win games, not rehabilitate other teams struggling prospects. Just my opinion, though.
Canes are so good that they do not need any more prospect?

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I agree- his hips don’t lie

Oh baby when you talk like that....

I don’t think it’s a strange case. Sometimes guys who dominated their junior peers can’t make that next step against men. Maybe it’s a mental thing, maybe it’s his hip issues, maybe he simply peaked early, maybe he wasn’t handled well by Oilers staff, maybe a combination of all those things, who knows?

Not every top prospect or draft pick is destined for greatness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad