Howe
Jagr
Crosby
Hasek
Lidstrom
Ovechkin
Malkin
McDavid

(surely some of the old timers would fit my not as strict criteria as well)

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
"The Art Ross Trophy is an annual award given to the player who leads the NHL in scoring points at the end of the regular season."

Where do you see the word "best" in that description?

Fortunately the confused, arbitrary standards of hockeyguy1967 are neither gospel truth nor widely-held.
Normally the leading scorer each year is you know, the best player that year.

Shocker eh, you actually have to amass the points and not "well if he wasn't injured then he would.."

Sid won the Art Ross only two times. Generational players are the best for a big chunk not just two years out of 20 or whatever Crosby will end his career at.

Reactions: Riddum

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
IMHO, Gretzky had the better career, but Lemieux was better at his best than Gretzky ever was. Just as smart, but differently, and much stronger. Put peak Lemieux on the Oilers dynasty and he gets 250 pts. Yes, I'm serious. I'll never forget him taking care of generational defenseman Bourque's mistake to score his first goal on his very first shift. It was certain from that point : Lemieux was bound to be a legend.
You are out of your mind. Gretzky was on another level comprising of just himself with regards to hockey vision. His peak was also better then Lemieux's peak not even taking in consideration what ifs

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
I don't see Jagr on many lists lmao. The dude who happens to be #2 on the all time points list and won 4 Art Ross trophies in a row isn't a clear cut Generational player? Do you guys even know what a generational player looks like?

From the beginning of Jagr's career until the end of his prime, only 2 other players managed to win the Art Ross... Lemieux and Gretzky. But hey, Jagr is not generational. Give me a break.

The funny thing is that I see Crosby and Ovi on most lists, 2 guys were very good but not good enough to truly separate themselves from the rest of the pack, as seen with their combined 3 Art Ross Trophies.

Ovi is definitely a generational goal scorer though. In fact, Ovi is more than a generational goal scorer, he's an all time goal scorer.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
I think most fans would agree that "generational" is definitely thrown around too often. I mean, I seriously saw a Boston fan claim that McAvoy is "potentially generational"... There are some overlapping instances of "generational" players, though. Guys like Bourque and Lidstrom played more than a decade together. IMO they are both generational defensemen. Ovechkin and Crosby, etc.

On to my list:

Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Marcel Dionne
Phil Esposito
Guy Lafleur
Jaromir Jagr
Brett Hull
Bobby Hull
Gordie Howe
Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Connor McDavid

Eddie Shore
Bobby Orr
Doug Harvey
Nick Lidstrom
Raymond Bourque
Paul Coffey
Denis Potvin

Dominik Hasek

Honorable Mentions: Non-Hasek Goalies, Phil Housley, Brian Leetch, Al MacInnis, Larry Murphy, Maurice Richard.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Not sure he was "generational" but the last really great, super hard-nosed (and actually very good) D-man was Pronger. he was definitely the end of an era before the NHL really cracked down on the clutching and grabbing. Probably a couple others you can toss in there. Hmm might make a good topic to discuss.

Just trying to add some D-man love and just talked about Pronger in another topic.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don't see Jagr on many lists lmao. The dude who happens to be #2 on the all time points list and won 4 Art Ross trophies in a row isn't a clear cut Generational player? Do you guys even know what a generational player looks like?

From the beginning of Jagr's career until the end of his prime, only 2 other players managed to win the Art Ross... Lemieux and Gretzky. But hey, Jagr is not generational. Give me a break.

The funny thing is that I see Crosby and Ovi on most lists, 2 guys were very good but not good enough to truly separate themselves from the rest of the pack, as seen with their combined 3 Art Ross Trophies.

Ovi is definitely a generational goal scorer though. In fact, Ovi is more than a generational goal scorer, he's an all time goal scorer.
I'm lost..

Are you arguing that Crosby didn't seperate himself from the pack, while also arguing that jagr was the 3rd or 4th best player of his era?( Thus not seperating himself?)
Its a given that Crosby has seperated himself from the pack a lot more than Jagr ever did

And why are you comparing awards between a retired player and a player with ~8 years of playing time left?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think most fans would agree that "generational" is definitely thrown around too often. I mean, I seriously saw a Boston fan claim that McAvoy is "potentially generational"... There are some overlapping instances of "generational" players, though. Guys like Bourque and Lidstrom played more than a decade together. IMO they are both generational defensemen. Ovechkin and Crosby, etc.

On to my list:

Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Marcel Dionne
Phil Esposito
Guy Lafleur
Jaromir Jagr
Brett Hull
Bobby Hull
Gordie Howe
Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Connor McDavid

Eddie Shore
Bobby Orr
Doug Harvey
Nick Lidstrom
Raymond Bourque
Paul Coffey
Denis Potvin

Dominik Hasek

Honorable Mentions: Non-Hasek Goalies, Phil Housley, Brian Leetch, Al MacInnis, Larry Murphy, Maurice Richard.

You think phil housley is close to a generational player?

Reactions: Conbon

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pretty loose definition of generational these days...it seems to be getting thrown around a lot.

Bobby Orr
Dominik Hasek
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Sidney Crosby
Alexander Ovechkin
Connor McDavid (if not now, then soon)

HM: Bossy, Howe, Lidstrom, Jagr

Yes, no Lindros, Roy or Karlsson in the honourable mentions.
So much decency bias in this. Ovechkin in, but no Lafleur, or Trottier?

Hasek, but no Sawchuk, Hainsworth,or Plante?

Howe as a HM ?:huh:

Lidstrom as HM, but not Harvey, or even Coffey/Potvin?

The lack of perspective on these boards is disturbing. It's almost like no one ever played hockey before 1980.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Close to a generational offensive defenseman, yes. Averaged 60 PTS/season.
And couldn't defend to save his life. He was nothing compared to Coffey,Bourque, or any of the Big three, and a host of others.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So much decency bias in this. Ovechkin in, but no Lafleur, or Trottier?

Hasek, but no Sawchuk, Hainsworth,or Plante?

Howe as a HM ?:huh:

Lidstrom as HM, but not Harvey, or even Coffey/Potvin?

The lack of perspective on these boards is disturbing. It's almost like no one ever played hockey before 1980.

Maybe most of us aren't dinosaurs and didn't get a chance to watch those guys play on a weekly basis to gather an accurate analysis on them.

Most here are born in the 80s or 90s

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe most of us aren't dinosaurs and didn't get a chance to watch those guys play on a weekly basis to gather an accurate analysis on them.

Most here are born in the 80s or 90s
Well, then say the best players since the 80's, for people who can't read or watch clips on YouTube. After that you can watch and read about things like WWII, the Russian revolution, and Jimi Hendrix, among many others.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Teemu Selanne.
Patrik Laine. Seriously, when was the last time a player came in with that kind of shot?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Generational players dominate and redefine the game for an entire generation of hockey player’s careers. They are THE guy for that entire group of players not just for a year or two but for a decade or more. There usually should not be 2 in their primes at the same time but it’s not impossible and there doesn’t need to be any in their prime at a given time. With the average career being 15+ years, if you have more than 5-6 in the modern era you are doing it wrong.
IMO in the modern era:
Howe
Ore
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Normally the leading scorer each year is you know, the best player that year.

Shocker eh, you actually have to amass the points and not "well if he wasn't injured then he would.."

Sid won the Art Ross only two times. Generational players are the best for a big chunk not just two years out of 20 or whatever Crosby will end his career at.

Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't - 6 out of the last 10 years, the Hart went to someone who hadn't won the Art Ross. That's why there are completely different awards to celebrate the most valuable player, champ.

Shocker, eh?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid.

HM to many people but I have to mention Stan Mikita. He was a generational human being.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
But it's such a bad take! Did you ever watch him play ?
Not when you consider that most of Orr's and Coffey's legacies are also based primarily on offensive accolades. He deserves the HM.

I watched him play during the back-9 of his career.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Generational players dominate and redefine the game for an entire generation of hockey player’s careers. They are THE guy for that entire group of players not just for a year or two but for a decade or more. There usually should not be 2 in their primes at the same time but it’s not impossible and there doesn’t need to be any in their prime at a given time. With the average career being 15+ years, if you have more than 5-6 in the modern era you are doing it wrong.
IMO in the modern era:
Howe
Ore
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid?
In what f^&*ing world did Gordie Howe (or anyone on this list not named Crosby and McDavid) play in the modern era? Who the hell is "Ore"? How can you say that anyone else is "doing it wrong"?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Mine, as in my age range to see the rise. Its Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby, McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad