Who are your generational players?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Criteria wise one thing I hate is when people bring up the opinion that a generational players should only come around “once a generation” or set an arbitrary time restriction on it.

Very possible to have two generational players drafted in back to back draft classes and the next following 50 years be empty of a generational talent.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Gretzky
Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Ovy
McDavid
Healthy Lindros

I don't see how Jagr isn't a lock. He won like 5 scoring titles in 6 years.

Malkin should be a lock too.

Lindros when healthy is also a lock.

Kinda hard to rate Dmen,but I guess you could throw Lidstrom and Karlsson in the convo too.

(Once again Malkin gets heavily underrated, all time PPG leader among Russians, best playoff player of this generation)

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Gretzky
Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Ovy
McDavid
Healthy Lindros

Kinda hard to rate Dmen,but I guess you could throw Lidstrom and Karlsson in the convo too.

The problem with Jagr is even in his prime, Lemieux was better. It’s hard to be generational when you’re a step below a true generational. You can make a case for his longevity and his accomplishments are remarkable but he’s not the best player of a generation.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The problem with Jagr is even in his prime, Lemieux was better. It’s hard to be generational when you’re a step below a true generational. You can make a case for his longevity and he said accomplishments are remarkable but he’s not the best player of a generation.

He was the best player for 7 years.

Also I can't fault someone just because they happened to play in an era with literally the best player ever.

Ovy and Malkin are generational, even though Crosby is the best player of their generation.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Also I can't fault someone just because they happened to play in an era with literally the best player ever.

Ovy and Malkin are generational, even though Crosby is the best player of their generation.

This is the problem with this whole debate, no one knows what generational means. My criteria are more demanding than yours.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Gretzky
Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Ovy
McDavid
Healthy Lindros

(Once again Malkin gets heavily underrated, all time PPG leader among Russians, best playoff player of this generation)

Might as well just throw the whole league into your list lol

I haven't come across many people outside pens fans call Malkin generational...he's a franchise player and a HoF imo, but not generational. Franchise players like him will come and go.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
It's a meaningless term now that it has been overused so much. TSN used it to hype their draft coverage and it took off.

Mcdavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine, Dahlin and now Hughes all have been given the tag. Amazingly enough all in the same generation.

Reactions: Eisen

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Might as well just throw the whole league into your list lol

I haven't come across many people outside pens fans call Malkin generational...he's a franchise player and a HoF imo, but not generational. Franchise players like him will come and go.

That’s my feeling, generational used to be 4 players now suddenly everyone needs to be on it.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I haven't come across many people outside pens fans call Malkin generational...he's a franchise player and a HoF imo, but not generational.

Because only Pens fans show him any respect.

The stats speak for themselves.

He has a better PPG than Ovy and is a better playoff player and plays a more valuable position.

Ovy gets labeled as generational but no Malkin? Why? Malkin is far more consistent and played with lesser linemates most his career. Only has one sub PPG season, while Ovy has 4. Ovy's peak is higher though.

It has to be that Crosby is on Malkin's team. If he played anywhere else...Malkin is easily labeled generational with the stats he has in both Reg and Post season.

Reactions: McNuge and Tweed

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

He has a better PPG than Ovy and is a better playoff player and plays a more valuable position.

Ovy gets labeled as generational but no Malkin? Why? Malkin is far more consistent and played with lesser linemates most his career. Only has one sub PPG season, while Ovy has 4. Ovy's peak is higher though.

It has to be that Crosby is on Malkin's team. If he played anywhere else...Malkin is easily labeled generational with the stats he has in both Reg and Post season.

Malkin is #14 in PPG, would you argue by the time his career is over then everyone above him should be labelled generational?

And that excludes the small handful or defensemen + goalies that are generational. So we could be looking at 20+ generational players if Malkin is being used as the standard.

As for the Ovi vs Malkin debate, I believe is because we're witnessing arguably the greatest goal scorer this game has ever seen and might ever see.

Reactions: CapsJunkie

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

The only reason people even consider Ovechkin is because of goals. If those goals were split and half and turned into assists I doubt his name comes up nearly as much.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Malkin is #14 in PPG, would you argue by the time his career is over then everyone above him should be labelled generational?

And that excludes the small handful or defensemen + goalies that are generational. So we could be looking at 20+ generational players if Malkin is being used as the standard.

You can't just assume every player ahead of Malkin PPG wise is better.

Have to account for era.

Reactions: Tweed

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Datsyuk is generational.

So generational, that he never won an Art Ross or a Hart Trophy.

Never made it to a First Team All Star, only once a Second Game All Star.

Won three Selke Trophies....but so did Jere Lethenen and Guy Carbonneau (Yes, I consider Datsyuk superior to both of them).

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
I'm surprised how many people i see saying Hasek, obviously he's one of the best all time but for some reason i never thought of him at "generational".

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
You can't just assume every player ahead of Malkin PPG wise is better.

Have to account for era.

But why are we using PPG as a measuring stick? That was more my question. I think skill plays a larger role here than PPG (yes PPG is still important)

Crosby is a clear step ahead of Malkin and barely has a better PPG than him.

Your argument in regards to Ovi vs Malkin, in case you missed my last edit:

As for the Ovi vs Malkin debate, I believe Ovi is considered generational because we're witnessing arguably the greatest goal scorer this game has ever seen and might ever see.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm surprised how many people i see saying Hasek, obviously he's one of the best all time but for some reason i never thought of him at "generational".

He’s a lot of people’s first choice for what goalie would you take at his best. Hasek at his best is almost unbeatable.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
So generational, that he never won an Art Ross or a Hart Trophy.

Never made it to a First Team All Star, only once a Second Game All Star.

Won three Selke Trophies....but so did Jere Lethenen and Guy Carbonneau (Yes, I consider Datsyuk superior to both of them).
Yes. He's too unique as a player. We won't see any time soon his type of player. But, if it's a thread about generational points producers. Then, of course he doesn't have a place here.
Just because there is no award for stick handling, doesn't mean he's not generational.
I've always thought generational is about talent. Points are result of specific talent, but no every talent results in points.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sorry to be a generational player you need to win the Art Ross more then 2 times if you are a forward. Crosby twice, Ovy 1 time. Jagr is definately generational if you are over the age of 18..
McDavid has good shot to become that as he has two Art Ross's at 21 years old. Crosby will never win another and either will Ovy.

So if Orpik hadn't had hit Crosby in the face with a slap shot in 2012-13 and Crosby won the Art Ross that year (he was running away with it, only eventually losing it to St. Louis by 4 points in 12 less games), he's generational? But since he didn't duck in time, he's not?

That's how silly it is when you put weird restrictions on "you need to win X amount of this trophy" before they qualify.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Here's your answer for why OV is way ahead of Malkin (look at the last 2 lines specifically)

Ovechkin--Malkin

Hart: 3--1
Finalist: 5--3
Top 10: 8--4
Lindsay: 3--1
Smythe: 1--1
Ross: 1--2
Top 10 pts: 8--4
PPG leader: 3--1
Top 10 PPG: 8--9
Rocket: 7--0
Top 10 goals: 11--3
GPG leader: 8--0
Top 10 GPG: 11--5
AST (1st+2nd): 10--3
Awards: 16--6

Malkin's had 4 seasons when he was actually relevant in the scoring and hart races. PPG is supposed to be his big saving grace but he's the one who doesn't have multiple PPG wins. And come on, only 4 seasons in top 20 hart voting? I'm sorry but that doesn't get you into Ovechkin territory. It's obvious that 1 of those resumes isn't like the other. Did Malkin have an unreal peak? Yes. But career wise, he's way too lacking to be put in such elite company.

Reactions: Hippasus and ottawa

Cotton

May 13, 2013
We haven't seen anyone like him before or since. If any goalie has an argument for being generational it's Hasek.

Not really, a case could easily be made for Roy, Sawchuk and Plante. It depend on what you value.

Reactions: Tweed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad