Who are your generational players?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
The answer is actually the big 4. Those are once in a lifetime players.

Crosby and OV are ultra ultra elite players, but just a step below the big 4, and that is no shame. Because we will never see a jack in the box type player like Crosby (who is seemingly elite at everything) and arguably the GOAT goalscorer in OV again. McDavid has entered the all-time elite discussion, now he needs more seasons (which I have zero doubt he will have) of total domination.

It should be the big 4

Crosby-OV

Anyone else.

People really don’t understand how amazing 87/8 are. If injuries and missed games weren’t a factor, their domination would be even greater. We would be looking at a combined:

7 Harts (07-11, 13-14; OV 3, Sid 4)
7 Art Rosses (07-11, 13-14; OV 3, Sid 4)
7 Ted Lindsay’s (07-11, 13-14; OV 3, Sid 4)
10 Rockets (08-11, 13-18; OV 7, Sid 3 - I believe he would have won it in 2011)
3 Conn Smythes
4 Cups

Between the 2. How on earth is that not dominant?

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux

IMO only these 3 were the players that were very clearly head and shoulders above their peers for an extended period of time

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux.

That's it. The only 3 guys to completely separate themselves from their peers.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Your cut-off seems awfully convenient to leave off Crosby, especially when you refuse to acknowledge that injuries cost him at least a couple.

If you were being genuine about there having to be a "minimum Art Ross count", then why not a more reasonable number? Why not 5? Anyone with less than 5 is not generational? Why is "only 2 not enough" other than because that's what Crosby has?
I would say 4 would be a minimum.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Lemieux and Gretzky were the same generation
Lemieux was absolutely Generational. Probably the most naturally gifted and most skilled player of all time. Having Gretzky AND Lemieux in the same generation was a rarity, and will most likely never happen again.

I understand the idea of Gretzky being better, but Lemieux was one step behind him, while being worlds away from everyone else.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Injuries happen to everyone. In fact McDavid might have won it in his rookie year of not for injures he was second in PPG. Being the best in the NHL twice in your career is not generational sorry.

"The Art Ross Trophy is an annual award given to the player who leads the NHL in scoring points at the end of the regular season."

Where do you see the word "best" in that description?

Your cut-off seems awfully convenient to leave off Crosby, especially when you refuse to acknowledge that injuries cost him at least a couple.

If you were being genuine about there having to be a "minimum Art Ross count", then why not a more reasonable number? Why not 5? Anyone with less than 5 is not generational? Why is "only 2 not enough" other than because that's what Crosby has?

Fortunately the confused, arbitrary standards of hockeyguy1967 are neither gospel truth nor widely-held.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
After some googling a generation is defined as a time span of 20-25 years. With this in mind I certainly see e.g. Crosby as a generational player. And do not forget d-men and goalies were you have players like Lidström, Roy etc.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Lemieux was absolutely Generational. Probably the most naturally gifted and most skilled player of all time. Having Gretzky AND Lemieux in the same generation was a rarity, and will most likely never happen again.

I understand the idea of Gretzky being better, but Lemieux was one step behind him, while being worlds away from everyone else.

IMHO, Gretzky had the better career, but Lemieux was better at his best than Gretzky ever was. Just as smart, but differently, and much stronger. Put peak Lemieux on the Oilers dynasty and he gets 250 pts. Yes, I'm serious. I'll never forget him taking care of generational defenseman Bourque's mistake to score his first goal on his very first shift. It was certain from that point : Lemieux was bound to be a legend.

Reactions: Fixxer

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Richard
Howe
Orr
Gretzky
Lemieux
Hasek
Lindros
Ovechkin
Crosby
Mcdavid

Needs more D and G. Plante, Sawchuk, Dryden, Roy, Hall, Brodeur, Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom, Karlsson... are all generational at their position.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Needs more D and G. Plante, Sawchuk, Dryden, Roy, Hall, Brodeur, Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom, Karlsson... are all generational at their position.
To me generational has nothing to do with position. You have to be distinctly the best player in the NHL.

Reactions: 6 Karlsson 5

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
IMHO, Gretzky had the better career, but Lemieux was better at his best than Gretzky ever was. Just as smart, but differently, and much stronger. Put peak Lemieux on the Oilers dynasty and he gets 250 pts. Yes, I'm serious. I'll never forget him taking care of generational defenseman Bourque's mistake to score his first goal on his very first shift. It was certain from that point : Lemieux was bound to be a legend.
I don’t know. I’m comfortable calling Lemieux a better player in a more skilled way.....but Gretzky during his peak has Lemieux beat, despite the time off. He was just a better player earlier on until his back started giving him trouble along with the natural order of getting older. Lemieux took over at the turn of the 90s, where he truly became a legend, and had Gretzky beat.

Lemieux had one big flaw, he didn’t take care of himself. While Gretzky was a work horse, he was always practicing looking to improve, Lemieux simply relied on his gifted talent. Gretzky was also very greatly skilled. At worst, in terms of overall skill, I can’t see him being less than third, arguably behind Lemieux and Orr, but I can also see an argument for top two. But that’s also what made Gretzky so amazing.

Lemieux also had great teammates during his peak years. Gretzky wasn’t better because of his teammates, he made Kurri one of the best goal scorers ever while usually carrying around an enforcer. Lemieux played with Jagr, Tocchet, Stevens while having Francis, Mullen, and Murphy. He had a great and productive supporting cast.

Could have Lemieux been better? Who knows, maybe had a closer to career, but honestly outside of ‘89 and arguably ‘88(Gretzky did miss 16 games and only finished 19 points back). And before the 90s, it was Gretzky. They peaked differently, but still Gretzkys longevity can’t be ignored. The only thing that holding Lemieux down from a better career was his Heath. Not his team, not anything else.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
In terms of talent no not really. Roy was fortunate to play on a lot of stacked teams. Hasek was the most dominant goalie of all time.
Roy has 4 cups with 3 smythes. Stacked teams or not, he separated himself more than any other player in History, and for a goalie.....that’s extraordinary.

Roy was a generational talent no matter what. He didn’t have Haseks style for sure, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t have his own unique style and that’s what made him a legend, same as Hasek.Roy gathered more playoff wins and at one point more regular season wins than any goalie.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, possibly Hasek.
My definition might differ abit from yours and mine is that they transcends generations and would be the slamdunk nr1 in any era(except if they happened to play at the same time obviously). Like I am not entirely convinced McDavid would outperform a peak LaFleur let alone Jagr- and I am pretty convinced peak Crosby wouldn't outperform either.

Ovechkin is a generational goalscorer but not combined player. Crosby idk, generational consistency maybe but that's about it. McDavid obviously got a shot. Karlsson might have had one without injuries, same for Malkin. Then again a bunch of earlier players are in the same boat.

If Lemieux didn't play at the same time I might be tempted to put Jagr as one.

Ovechkin has over 500 assists, a ConnSmythe (Won for not just his goals, his points, hits, leadership and even defensive play, imagine that)

He has still 8 more years in him if he wants, so don't even tell me he's just a generational GOAL SCORER.

Not sure if your a Jets fan and someone said that once about Laine, or your a Pens fan, or maybe your Canadian and still hate Russians. No matter what your angle is, you are wrong.

Ovechkin is already a hall of fame lock, would of been without a cup or smythe, EVEN when he was in his late 20's.

How many people could ever make that claim?

THis is why Alexander Ovechkin is a Generational PLAYER and not goal scorer, whether you like it or not.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Ovechkin has over 500 assists, a ConnSmythe (Won for not just his goals, his points, hits, leadership and even defensive play, imagine that)

He has still 8 more years in him if he wants, so don't even tell me he's just a generational GOAL SCORER.

Not sure if your a Jets fan and someone said that once about Laine, or your a Pens fan, or maybe your Canadian and still hate Russians. No matter what your angle is, you are wrong.

Ovechkin is already a hall of fame lock, would of been without a cup or smythe, EVEN when he was in his late 20's.

How many people could ever make that claim?

THis is why Alexander Ovechkin is a Generational PLAYER and not goal scorer, whether you like it or not.

No he is not and if you cared to read neither is Crosby according to me. I am actually one of the, seemingly, few on this board who advocates for that Ovechkin should be ranked if not above atleast even with Crosby. If that makes me a Pens fan or a "Canadian who hates russians" I am not sure you are following. If you care to look up my last 5 posts or so I am pretty sure that I advocate heavily for Ovechkin in a thread regarding a Laine comparsion, because to me there is none to be made- atleast not yet and probably never.

Of course Ovechkin is a hall of fame lock, with or without Cup/Smythe, it would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Then again there are a lot of players in the hall and that has nothing with being generational or not to do.

Howe
Lemieux
Gretzky
Lemieux
Possibly Jagr and Hasek.

Ovechkin simply doesn't belong in the company and that's no slight towards him. He is in the group just behind that to me are superstars but not generational. Crosby, Lidström, LaFleur, Beliveau, Ovechkin, Bourque, Potvin, Roy etc. Jagr probably belongs at the top of this group rather than being generational but atleast he got a case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad