Who are the most overrated/underrated teams going into 19-20?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If the Islanders made the playoffs last year, the Sens have a shot this year. If a team comes together and plays like a team, it can get there.

Everyone is slagging the Sens defense this year, but it's better than the Leafs defense was last year, especially if Branstromm delivers.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Overrated: Tampa/Canes

Underrated: Arizona/Blues

Not sure if overrated/underrated: Pens

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
There is no team more overwhelmingly underrated than Columbus.

Although Toronto is also getting high on that list simply due to the number of folks who can't tell the difference between a desire to see them fail versus reasonable expectations of them failing. And folks are ignoring the Islanders' existence again.

In all honesty the Columbus roster is very underwhelming. Do you think they make the playoffs?

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Expectations for the Avs are sky high, it's a bit hard for them not to be overrated at this point, although they were likely underrated last season.

Underrated? I'd probably say the Islanders or Canucks.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
Overrated - Capitals and Jets
Underrated - Panthers (Think they can be top 2-3 in the division)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If the Islanders made the playoffs last year, the Sens have a shot this year. If a team comes together and plays like a team, it can get there.

Everyone is slagging the Sens defense this year, but it's better than the Leafs defense was last year, especially if Branstromm delivers.

The Sens don't have anything near the Leafs offense...Ottawa won't sniff the playoffs.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Underrated - Chicago, Dallas, Florida, Philadelphia

Overrated - honestly nobody really springs to mind. Don't really love what Colorado did this offseason.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
The Isles best player and leading points guy had 62 pts last year.

The fact that people think they are going to regress is crazy. If anything they will improve having adapted to a new system.

Barzy should be 70+ and I wouldn't be surprised if Eberle gets close to 30 goals. I expect more goals all around AND we actually improved our D by having Toews for a full season + Dobson making the team.

Reactions: Crazy Cizikas

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
On this board, I would say the Canes and San Jose are being under.
I think the Caps, Winnipeg, Panthers are being over. This isn't saying they won't be good teams, but the expectations are high.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Underrated: Dallas, NY, NJ, and Philly.

I think the metro will be a huge bloodbath

Overrated: Pittsburgh and Calgary.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Leafs are overrated for sure in my eyes. They are still a playoff team for sure, but the 3rd best team in their division. This does not set them up for playoff success. Ceci is not an improvement on Zaitsev, Spezza is a huge drop from Marleau, Kerfoot is a huge drop from Kadri. Barrie is better offensively, but even worse defensively that Garder. I think Dubas did a pretty good job managing the situation he was in, but I fail to see how this roster is improved. I expect the Leafs to be closer to the Habs and Sabres than the Bolts and Bruins. Just my 2 cents.

Underrated- Canucks, Hawks, Coyotes. 2 of the 3 will be in the playoffs in the west.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Overrated for me is SJS. Yes Burns and Karlsson is an amazing duo on the back-end, but I don't trust their forward group and Martin Jones enough for them to be in the contender conversation.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Toronto are overrated. I thought their team last year was the softest of all time, but this takes the price. Despicable. They would get tossed around by most European teams. I mean they'll make the playoffs due to their star players, but that's it.

Underrated is harder. I think some of the teams that had a great skill level but were too soft last year can make it far. Carolina for instance. Some gritty additions.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Going into this season I'd say.

West

Over: San Jose, Jets
Under: Vancouver, Arizona

East

Over: Columbus, Penguins
Under: Florida, Buffalo

Overrated - Capitals and Jets
Underrated - Panthers (Think they can be top 2-3 in the division)

On this board, I would say the Canes and San Jose are being under.
I think the Caps, Winnipeg, Panthers are being over. This isn't saying they won't be good teams, but the expectations are high.

Soo, you guys expect us to finish bottom 5 in the league this year or something?

Paul Maurice was just asked today by local media if he pays any attention to all the projections of us missing the playoffs. Clearly not many people think highly of our chances this year :eek:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think New Jersey is underrated this season. I think they'll be a very good team this year and can get 10-12 more wins and make the playoffs.

For overrated.......Vegas. Never understood how they did so well with that lineup.
Where were you when half the board was screeching that the NHL gifted them an OP roster?

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Slightly Overrated: San Jose - Karlsson is on the downside of his career. He is one of my favorite players but that's just that hard truth. Not being able to retain Pavelski doesn't sit well with me - he was the heart and soul of the team. Especially after he got shot in the face.

Underrated: Canucks - East Coasters don't know how good Pettersson is. Green is a great coach who can squeeze a lot out of a patchwork lineup. Markstrom is really underrated. They will battle for a playoff spot.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
Soo, you guys expect us to finish bottom 5 in the league this year or something?

Paul Maurice was just asked today by local media if he pays any attention to all the projections of us missing the playoffs. Clearly not many people think highly of our chances this year :eek:

Not Bottom 5 in the league, that is a bit harsh. I do think they have a realistic shot of being out of the playoffs though.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I feel like people are getting carried away with Colorado. I've seen "dynasty" pop up a little too often. Not sold on the Devils either although it's entirely possible Taylor Hall goes bananas again.

Underrated: Pittsburgh

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad