Who are the most overrated/underrated teams going into 19-20?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There is no team more overwhelmingly underrated than Columbus.

Although Toronto is also getting high on that list simply due to the number of folks who can't tell the difference between a desire to see them fail versus reasonable expectations of them failing. And folks are ignoring the Islanders' existence again.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think the Hurricanes are getting overrated. I see a lot of people talking about them like it's a 1A/1B thing with the Caps. They just had a season where they finally broke through as a playoff team and all of a sudden they're being treated like their success was completely reliable. Their defense is obviously great, but their goaltending is just as big of a question mark as ever and they also lost two of their top scorers up front, including their Captain. Their big acquisition up front became a healthy scratch in the playoffs after leaving Ottawa.

I think Winnipeg is getting underrated. Obviously their D got wrecked, but Pionk is underrated and I think Morrissey is excellent and will benefit from an increased role. There aren't many sets of forwards I'd take over the Jets, and they should be getting a massive improvement from Laine.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think the Hurricanes are getting overrated. I see a lot of people talking about them like it's a 1A/1B thing with the Caps. They just had a season where they finally broke through as a playoff team and all of a sudden they're being treated like their success was completely reliable. Their defense is obviously great, but their goaltending is just as big of a question mark as ever and they also lost two of their top scorers up front, including their Captain.

I think Winnipeg is getting underrated. Obviously their D got wrecked, but Pionk is underrated and I think Morrissey is excellent and will benefit from an increased role. There aren't many sets of forwards I'd take over the Jets, and they should be getting a massive improvement from Laine.

Really like the Canes roster until you look between the pipes.

WPG needs a coaching change.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I try not to worry about what people are saying outside the actual standings/rankings threads because people just like to troll on these boards. So this isn't going to be based on who's getting hyped up or who's getting hated on.

Most of the actual standings predictions I have seen have teams in mostly reasonable spots. If I have to pick, I would say the Avs are being overrated. I don't think they're going to be bad but they have some upside and downside but they're a team that I've seen most people just predicting the upside. Chicago has been underrated IMO but I'm probably higher than them then most. They're offense is still a force, Strome could take another step, D is questionable but they picked up potentially great goaltending in Lehner.

Reactions: TK 421

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
In case it helps, here are some playoff probability predictions I polled on this fall:

HFBoard's 2019-2020 Playoff Predictions

Based on that, I think Calgary, Toronto, Chicago and NYI are underrated.

Overrated would be St. Louis, Boston, Nashville and Colorado.

That seems like a pretty reasonable linked list. Aggregates of more data-driven rankings suggest that the East is better than the West and that teams like Washington, Florida, Colorado, Arizona and NYI are on the overrated side and Vegas, Toronto and Montreal are on the underrated side, but margins are so small in hockey that its hard to care.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I’m not sure about all fan bases towards one team, but I think teams overrated by their own fan base might include :

1. Islanders: they weren’t at all an awful team massively overachieving with major unsustainable stats... but there is a distinct possibility they were overachieving to some extent, but I think I’ve seen a lot of isles fans and some others very confident they’re among the top 1-2 division contenders.

New coach-boost; two goalies putting up numbers they might not necessarily repeat (and the primary replaced by an injury prone goalie); behind a defensemen group that, before the season, nobody would have said was tops; bottom 6 players way outperforming their norm at least part of the season, etc.

Not only team strength itself but, regarding their chance at topping the division, you also have to consider every other team too. Arguably the isles did improve some, but so did basically the whole division. And the usual leaders Caps maybe haven’t lost as much as some people confidently believe, and the Pens could do better than last season. A number of solid contenders to take points away. I think the timing of teams cold/hot streaks will be huge this year for the division.

2. Flyers quite possibly didn’t improve as much as some people think... Niskanen didn’t exactly play much better than Gudas last year, goalie is relatively unproven and I have no idea who is backup is

Really I’m not super comfortable predicting their standings chances until I actually see some games, because like I said really the whole division has improved and everybody could be taking expected points away from everybody.
But until I see otherwise, I’ll always assume
1/2: Caps/Pens
2/3: someone else

Last edited:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
In case it helps, here are some playoff probability predictions I polled on this fall:

HFBoard's 2019-2020 Playoff Predictions

Based on that, I think Calgary, Toronto, Chicago and NYI are underrated.

Overrated would be St. Louis, Boston, Nashville and Colorado.

Not trying to homer but based on that I would say Montreal is underrated too. I assumed most people thought they would be challenging for a playoff spot again like last year.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
They are an elite team, top 5, but damn if I have to read another post about "I can and I will!" or "lol Dubas dumb" I'm gonna punt laptop into the sea.

Most of us would be happy with less attention. Between people saying we're the best ever and one move from total collapse, it's freaking exhausting as a fan. I can only imagine how annoying the constant deluge of Leaf related bullshiat is as a fan of another team.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Not trying to homer but based on that I would say Montreal is underrated too. I assumed most people thought they would be challenging for a playoff spot again like last year.

Montreal is a really hard team to judge. People like to bash Price but he's still at the very least a top 5 goalie in the league. If he plays like he can that can cover up a lot of problems. They have some good pieces to build around but they also seem stuck between rebuild (which frankly I think need) and trying to retool to take advantage of Price and Weber.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Toronto is not overrated, they are just over talked about every where they go.

A lot of people at sportsnet and ESPN are predicting they win the division which is kind of overrating them, don't see how they've made this giant leap over Tampa and Boston when they've had to shed some vets for cap reasons and Freddy has a lot to prove after his weak 2nd half.

Reactions: CDN24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad