Who are the most overrated/underrated teams going into 19-20?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
That's the point they DID get owned and they are still getting their asses kissed

They are still the best team on paper. They did not lose much if anything. We're talking regular season, right? They'll still dominate. Playoffs is another question altogether. You aren't talking apples to apples bud.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
After one game overreaction:

Sharks are overrated.

Sabres are underrated.

Sharks just looked.. old and directionless. I wonder if they'll miss Pavelski a lot more than any of us could predict. Heart and soul guy, idk, it's not just the goals that are gone.

Sabres looked great. They shut down the Pens despite 5-2 in penalties and pretty much every single player looked better. I've been on the Krueger hype train and this ain't helping, I really think they'll surprise people this year. Great team D with outlet passes that sprung like 5+ breakaways, it was a more complete game than anything they did last year. 41 shots, advanced stats all in their favor, they gonna be this year's Islanders but, y'know, better. Oh, and do yourself a favor and watch the Dahlin goal if ya haven't.

edit- ps, Sabres are my first team, Sharks my second, and I'd have made the same call on the Sabres pre-season as well. Had high hopes/expectations and everything they did tonight made those hopes feel justified. Once again, one game so we'll see- but I have hope. I'd.. I'd forgotten how that feels. Sharks just looked outmatched vs. Vegas, and that I did not expect. Maybe thought 'em a bit overrated, but man, Vegas was just flying around 'em all game.

Last edited:

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Just curious. For all the posters suggesting the Leafs are overrated. What place do they need to come in to prove you are right? 10-30? I think they are a Top 5 team. We will see.

Overrated. Sharks

Underrated. Buffalo

I'll say clearly outside the top 5. Bubble playoff team. Early playoff exit. Or worse.

Basically, pretty much a repeat of last season will do it for me. If they want to view as an elite, legitimate contender they need to step up and produce like an elite, legitimate contender.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Underrated: Anaheim

Very outside chance at the playoffs, but they don't stink as bad as people are saying. Yes they are in a rebuild phase but the disaster of Carlyle's system is gone, several of the older 'past their prime' vets are gone/on LTIRetirement & the young guns, after being seasoned or two in the AHL are really stepping up. It should be an interesting season, but I don't see it as bad as the prognosticators are bloviating about.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
For anyone who doesn't say the Coyotes don't know hockey. They're primed to surprise a lot of people this season. Because they're WAY of the NHL national media radar, they go unnoticed most of the time.

I definitely dont think the Ducks are a bottom 5 team. So yeah,

Underrated: Ducks
Overrated: The Lightning

Underrated: Anaheim

One of the Ducks main problems for the past 5-7 years is that they're slow. They're slowly getting rid of the slow dead weight but it's going to take another season or two before they can actually. Sure, injuries but lets be serious here. The problem with the Ducks isn't the coach. It's the GM who put them together.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
How did that softness work for Tampa last year? And the winners were the stacked ST Louis...Grit and passion beat talent.

Yet everyone is still picking them to win the Cup this year. Including me if I had to place a wager.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
In case it helps, here are some playoff probability predictions I polled on this fall:

HFBoard's 2019-2020 Playoff Predictions

Based on that, I think Calgary, Toronto, Chicago and NYI are underrated.

Overrated would be St. Louis, Boston, Nashville and Colorado.

Blues just won the cup and got better with the addition of Justin Faulk and some people have them outside of the top 10. How are they overrated?

Reactions: Devonator

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Minnesota are pretty underrated. People just assume they will be a bottom feeder, they didn't miss the playoffs by much last season and if they stay healthy they can fight for a Wild Card.

Kettil33

Aug 21, 2016
2. Flyers quite possibly didn’t improve as much as some people think... Niskanen didn’t exactly play much better than Gudas last year, goalie is relatively unproven and I have no idea who is backup is

Really I’m not super comfortable predicting their standings chances until I actually see some games, because like I said really the whole division has improved and everybody could be taking expected points away from everybody.
But until I see otherwise, I’ll always assume
1/2: Caps/Pens
2/3: someone else

Posts like this are my exhibit for the premise that the Flyers are under-rated. (I also saw an article where 8 of 9 forecasters had the Flyers missing the playoffs.) So, to me, the general consensus is that the Flyers are a non-playoff team or a playoff WC bubble team at best.

I think that's under-rated and here's why.

Niskanen isn't the main basis for predicting anything significantly better for the Flyers - he might help a bit, because the Flyers D is young and they haven't had an experienced vet with any track record of success for 5 years, but its more about the following ....
The 3 things that forecast a significant improvement for the Flyers are:
1) Goaltending. They went thru EIGHT goalies last year. Goaltending was chaotic and terrible on lots of nights and that doesn't just affect the goaltending numbers, it disrupts the team. Hart might be great, but even if he is only average, that's a 5-10 pt improvement just based on not having another record setting disaster year in net.
2) Coaching. AV, and the rest of the staff, are a huge upgrade over one of the worst coaches in the NHL - Hakstol, and an AHL-calibre interim in Gordon. That's a 5-10 point upgrade as well.
3) Roster depth and quality. The Flyers lost nothing and added a legit top 6 centre in Hayes. They also have a group of kids that have now got enough experience that they should be settling into their prime in Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim, and Lindblom. They also are at the point where the huge organizational depth is starting to produce actual NHLers to fill the gaps as needed. The AHL team is now stacked with NHL calibre depth - guys like Myers, Morin, Farabee, Frost and others would have been playing on a thinner Flyers team 3 years ago. That's good for ~5 points over last year.

The Flyers are a 95-105 point team. Almost certainly in the playoffs and maybe competing for the division. So, ya, they are being under-rated ... at least that's my take.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
How is Tampa bay over rated?

Are you jelous??

The fact that they are #1 in the rankings after getting SWEPT in the first round by Columbus while St. Louis wins the cup and improves their team over the summer. Tampa would get killed in a 7 game series against St. Louis.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
What are you talking about? Torts owned Coop. Owned. Schooled him. We just didn't have an answer.

You seem a little emotional about it.

Then why do you guys sit #1 on everyone's power rankings after getting swept in the first round?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The fact that they are #1 in the rankings after getting SWEPT in the first round by Columbus while St. Louis wins the cup and improves their team over the summer. Tampa would get killed in a 7 game series against St. Louis.

Right.... and the blues almost lost in round 1 to Winnipeg. The Blues aren't the god of the NHL.....

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Depends on how many players the blues injure

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Overrated: San Jose, St. Louis, Pittsburgh
Underrated: Flordia, Carolina, Colorado

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad