Who are some of the best HoG players lost in the annals of time?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Witt hit hard but made bad decisions until he put it together on Long Island; Reekie had limited puck skills and never was a legit top pairing guy; Tinordi was a great 4/5 dman with nasty and toughness in his game, and may be worth remembering 50 years from now, but as a Caps fan I can see the argument either way.

Kelly Miller and Mike Ridley are all-time very goods I fear history will forget (I don't trust my fellow Washington fans because the culture of hockey in that area ain't like in Minnesota, Boston or even New York).

Last edited:
Reactions: brachyrynchos

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Witt hit hard but made bad decisions until he put it together on Long Island; Reekie had limited puck skills and never was a legit top pairing guy; Tinordi was a great 4/5 dman with nasty and toughness in his game, and may be worth remembering 50 years from now, but as a Caps fan I can see the argument either way.

Kelly Miller and Mike Ridley are all-time very goods I fear history will forget (I don't trust my fellow Washington fans because the culture of hockey in that area ain't like in Minnesota, Boston or even New York).

Not sure where you're getting this about Tinordi. He was picked in 14 straight ATDs for a reason. Over his 7-season prime he averaged 23.66 minutes per game. #4-5 defenseman? More like #1-2. He earned scattered norris/AS votes in three seasons and made an ASG on merit in a fourth season. If you're talking specifically about his time in Washington, he played the minutes of a #3, on average.

You are right about Reekie. At his best he was just a 20 minute guy. Probably a #4, but was on a deep defense in Washington and probably could have handled being a #3 for a lesser team, given his outstanding results against second tier competition.

Witt, I'm not sure he ever put it together. He always hit hard, he always made bad decisions. Didn't really have any offensive game to him, and was never really relied upon heavily by any team worth anything. If you're referring to the 06-07 season, that was the one season where he played good minutes (but nothing special, just #3/4 minutes) for a good team and in fact posted the best +/- of his career. But aside from that, just a common middle pairing guy who got ventilated at even strength just about everywhere he played. In fact, his possession stats for the Isles in the last 3 years of his career are really something to behold. "Ventilated" doesn't begin to describe it. And in fact, he's 9th last all-time in career adjusted +/- with a -149, because even in Washington, his occasionally good numbers were well below the team's average. He's also ninth last all time on a per-game basis, and this goes back to 1960. He flat out was not good defensively, and was probably the beneficiary of the "physical = good defensively" mindset for far too long.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Not sure where you're getting this about Tinordi. He was picked in 14 straight ATDs for a reason. Over his 7-season prime he averaged 23.66 minutes per game. #4-5 defenseman? More like #1-2. He earned scattered norris/AS votes in three seasons and made an ASG on merit in a fourth season. If you're talking specifically about his time in Washington, he played the minutes of a #3, on average.

You are right about Reekie. At his best he was just a 20 minute guy. Probably a #4, but was on a deep defense in Washington and probably could have handled being a #3 for a lesser team, given his outstanding results against second tier competition.

Witt, I'm not sure he ever put it together. He always hit hard, he always made bad decisions. Didn't really have any offensive game to him, and was never really relied upon heavily by any team worth anything. If you're referring to the 06-07 season, that was the one season where he played good minutes (but nothing special, just #3/4 minutes) for a good team and in fact posted the best +/- of his career. But aside from that, just a common middle pairing guy who got ventilated at even strength just about everywhere he played. In fact, his possession stats for the Isles in the last 3 years of his career are really something to behold. "Ventilated" doesn't begin to describe it. And in fact, he's 9th last all-time in career adjusted +/- with a -149, because even in Washington, his occasionally good numbers were well below the team's average. He's also ninth last all time on a per-game basis, and this goes back to 1960. He flat out was not good defensively, and was probably the beneficiary of the "physical = good defensively" mindset for far too long.

I agree with this and Caps top-4 was remarkable with Gonchar, Johansson, Tinordi and Cote. I think that were there top-4 atleast. Then there were Housley, Witt, Reekie, Klee plus they still felt the need to add Leschychyn in 98 and later Ciccone and Mironov.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Vaive is grossly underrated,outside of his goal scoring prowess,he was big ,mean and Tough.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Vaive is grossly underrated,outside of his goal scoring prowess,he was big ,mean and Tough.
He was also quite poor defensively and a bad captain. If Anything, I would say the fact that he scored 50 goals three times in the 1980s makes him a little overrated with most people.

Reactions: wetcoast

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
More Hall of Very Good than HOG I guess:
Ulf Dahlén, great along the boards, fantastic puck protection, and a decent scoring touch.
Kevin Dineen. Great team player who came to play.
Scott Gomez. Remembered more for his bad contract and decline in his later years than his time in New Jersey.
Stéphane Richer. 12 consecutive 20+ goal seasons, 366 total in that span (85/86-96/97).

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
While I'm doing "best six years" trivia - Claude Giroux was 3rd in scoring from 2012 to 2017. Nobody has him as a Hall of Famer today but his resume is starting to look pretty decent, no?
Well... evidently not nobody:
If Giroux follows a normal career curve, he's a lock.
... and to that, I say:
With regard to [Giroux's] HoF chances, it seems to be his bad luck that he spent the vast preponderance of his career at Center. Quick, think of the top Centers of his generation: Crosby. Malkin. Toews. Bergeron. Getzlaf. Kopitar. When it's not clear if a player appears in the top half-dozen of his era at his position, we might not be talking about an HoFer...

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
E: Subtle distinction, I’m not necessarily asking for the best players not in the hall of fame (although those answers would be fine too) more so who are some really good players that are more forgotten about over time.

There are some amazing minds in this section of the forum and hence I am shocked that no one has yet mentioned Ron Ellis, is it because he does deserve to be in the HHOF?

Reactions: Tarantula

whatname

Jan 29, 2012
Eric Daze was a pretty good goal scorer whose back gave out on him way too early

Marc Savard

Kevin Hatcher

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Another more recent one, pretty productive guy in the NHL who was a star at P.C., Fernando Pisani.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad