Who are some of the best HoG players lost in the annals of time?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Nick Metz - Conn Smythe said ""That Metz is the best all around player in the league. He can play anywhere, and good. In any kind of going you can use him at center, on the wings, or at defense and he'll give you all he's got."

Joe Klukay - One of the greatest defensive forwards in the history of the game. GLofH says "But in true defensive forward fashion of any era, Joe Klukay's accomplishments were probably unnoticed by many then, and almost entirely forgotten about now."

Metz and Klukay combined to be perhaps the best PK duo in history.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Dackell's remembered best as the player who took the vicious hit from Lindros.

This is true. It's exactly what I remember him for. I remember the night this happened, seeing it in a highlight clip between periods of another game I was watching. It looked like he crumpled him like a soda can.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
For someone who is recent, Patrik Elias. During the height of the Dead Puck Era, Elias averaged about 30 goals a season on defensively minded New Jersey teams.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
For someone who is recent, Patrik Elias. During the height of the Dead Puck Era, Elias averaged about 30 goals a season on defensively minded New Jersey teams.

I can’t imagine the Elias or the A-Line will be forgotten. Top scorer (both regular season and playoffs) on back-to-back Finalists that finished 1st (2001) and 2nd (2000) in GF.

With a stronger playoff in 2003 and 2012, he’s probably a HOFer, right?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
maybe a tier below some players mentioned but Stephan LeBeau
something like 240 pts in 300 some games with the Habs, won a Cup with them also

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Re: LeClair, the study showed that his scoring barely changed when Lindros was injured, but his plus/minus plummeted.

This makes sense to me.
Leclair was playing on a line with a generational talent. Philly played a run and gun style around Lindros. When Lindros was healthy, they'd dominate their match ups. When he was hurt, his linemates would get eaten alive.
After Lindros left, they hired Ken Hitchcock to play a defensive style like most other teams and Flyer offensive numbers declined.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
maybe a tier below some players mentioned but Stephan LeBeau
something like 240 pts in 300 some games with the Habs, won a Cup with them also
LeBeau is my ultimate "What the hell ever happened to...?" player, as I've explained in other threads.

When the Habs won the Cup in '93, LeBeau had just finished only his third season in the NHL, scored 80 points in 71 games (+23), plus appeared in 13 playoff games (6 points in the Habs' final seven playoff games). I thought he was a rising star, and might grasp the Habs' forward mantel from Damphousse and Muller.

Then, I basically never heard of him again.

Reactions: mmvvpp

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
same!
he was also very good in NHL '94
he vanished like a fart in the wind...

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
same!
he was also very good in NHL '94
he vanished like a fart in the wind...

In '98 or so, my friend and I used to play NHL '94 at his house (he was a Habs fan) and wonder who Gilbert Dionne and Patrick Labeau were and what the hell happened to them.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Real Cloutier
Doug Mohns
Don Lever
Dean Prentice
Jean Pronovost
Orland Kurtenbach

Real " Buddy" Cloutier wasn't just HOG though, he was an elite sniper who had his best years in the WHA and during his short time in the NHL injuries undermined his elite status.

Not a complete player by any means but much better than HOG

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Claude Giroux is a guy who always gets lost in the shuffle and probably always will like another former Flyer in Rick MacLeish.

I know that the Flyers got swept by the Habs in 75 but one of the large reasons that happened was because the Flyers didn't have the leading scorer for the entire league in the 2 previous SC winning runs in Macleish.

They did have another good forgotten player in Mel Bridgman who was a rookie that year and went off to have a fine career but is basically forgotten.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad