Who are some of the best HoG players lost in the annals of time?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He played on a very memorable and successful line though with the twins. Plus he was very hated by other fan bases because of his style, and people remember things they don't like.

Plus he also had a characteristic voice/accent.

his impression of marc crawford was priceless

#neverforget

i don't know, though. how many people outside of us weirdos remember, say, ken linseman? centered messier and anderson in '83 and '84, led the flyers to the finals as a rookie on a hugely popular line called the rat patrol, but...

and he played for philly and boston.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Kelly Kisio, Patrick Flatley, Michal Pivonka, Dmitri Khristich (though he was trash on TOR), Adam Deadmarsh were all pretty good to good players I never hear about nowadays.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Kelly Kisio, Patrick Flatley, Michal Pivonka,... Adam Deadmarsh were all pretty good to good players I never hear about nowadays.
Loved those guys. Kisio a smaller version of Flatley, both leaders on the ice; Pivonka famous for long breakaway passes to Bondra, was a good passing backchecking pivot, like Backstrom or Oates-lite; Deadmarsh, "Deader" was known as the Wings killer for key goals in LA and Colorado. I never liked the Kings but openly had disdain for Detroit so i remember jumping up and clapping in the living room when Deader scored a great playoff goal against the Wings.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Kelly Kisio, Patrick Flatley, Michal Pivonka, Dmitri Khristich (though he was trash on TOR), Adam Deadmarsh were all pretty good to good players I never hear about nowadays.
I first remember Pivonka from the WJC, he was named Best Forward one year.

Also remember Khristich from the World Juniors. I recall that he was the Soviets' 3rd best forward of his age group after a couple guys named Mogilny and Fedorov.

The first NHL game I ever attended in person, Pat Flatley scored 4 goals and 1 assist. Must've been the best scoring game of his career.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Kisio was a winger and Flatley a center,..
The opposite actually. Kisio was a 2nd line center and Flatley a 3rd line right winger for years, his best offense being when he played on the 2nd line behind Bossy and later, after several years on the 3rd, as captain he got 1st and 2nd line opportunities.

I loved watching both of them: high energy, hard working, battling in corners, finishing checks.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The opposite actually. Kisio was a 2nd line center and Flatley a 3rd line right winger for years, his best offense being when he played on the 2nd line behind Bossy and later, after several years on the 3rd, as captain he got 1st and 2nd line opportunities.

I loved watching both of them: high energy, hard working, battling in corners, finishing checks.

Typo. You know I've had Kisio a few times in the MLD and AAA.

Reactions: VanIslander

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Dave Taylor
Charlie Simmer
Rick Kehoe
Pierre Larouche
Pekka Rautakelio
Brian Bradley
Gary Unger

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't think Martin is really forgotten (he's a HHoVG of the shortened career variety) and Maruk is really often namedropped as a guy who had a monster season, and while he's ultimately a HHoG type, his tends to be remembered specifically for his big season, which makes him not lost in the annals.

Reactions: The Pale King

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Steve 'Sarge' Vickers. 698- 246-340-586, all with the Rangers. I think he's still the highest scoring Left wing in Rangers history,(4th highest scoring left wing of the '70's: Barber, Shutt, Martin) and in their top 10 goals, assists, points, powerplay goals/assists/points, even strength goals/assists/points, and game winning goals. 68-24-25-49 career playoffs, 6th most playoff goals and tied for 6th in playoff points for New York.

Reactions: Finster8 and crobro

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Loads of Whalers come to mind - Scott Young, Geoff Sanderson, Andrew Cassels, Nelson Emerson... basically all good second liners miscast to the top line.

Other randoms off top of my head: German Titov, Paul Cavallini, Johan Garpenlov, Alexei Zhamnov, Brian Bradley.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Who are some really good players who weren’t quite great that get lost in the annals of time that is hockey history?

E: Subtle distinction, I’m not necessarily asking for the best players not in the hall of fame (although those answers would be fine too) more so who are some really good players that are more forgotten about over time.
By me at least...
Ziggy Palffy
Bill Flett
Ian Turnbull
Morris Lukowich

... you realize I could probably list a thousand names.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00