Speculation: Which RFA is most likely to be traded?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He has 82 points in his first 2 NHL seasons playing mainly on the 3rd line and barely any PP time...what are you talking about?

Much better start to his NHL than Kreider and Miller had, on par with Stepans.

He played with Eric Staal and didn`t work out well - he is suppose to be elite player from Canada with gold medals in olympic etc. etc. :)
I really don`t know, I guess Hayes is not my type of player anyway.
But if we need to trade 1 of those three, Hayes for sure.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We shouldn't be looking for players that fit AV's system if he's not going to be here within a few years

A good point - I doubt AV is here end of this season if we`ve a similar playoffs exit, or worst not enough points to reach playoffs next season.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
You do realize an opinion like this coming from you holds more weight than other posters. What are you hearing?

There's a question where Hayes fits on a top tier team. He has demonstrated some real deficiencies as a center (i.e. faceoffs, very inconsistent backcheck) He's not played particularly well on the wing. They also know he's been a healthy scratch at times. He took a step back in 2015-16 and teams noticed. One team I did hear mentioned was Calgary.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
There's a question where Hayes fits on a top tier team. He has demonstrated some real deficiencies as a center (i.e. faceoffs, very inconsistent backcheck) He's not played particularly well on the wing. They also know he's been a healthy scratch at times. He took a step back in 2015-16 and teams noticed. One team I did hear mentioned was Calgary.

That's interesting...what could the Flames offer? Could the #6 pick be in play?

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I'd prefer none of them, but I'd personally pick Hayes. I think they all have similar offensive potential, ~50 points 20-30 guys.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'd prefer none of them, but I'd personally pick Hayes. I think they all have similar offensive potential, ~50 points 20-30 guys.

Hayes scored 45 points his rookie season playing 13 minutes a game on the 3rd line. You think his top potential is just 5 more points when he gets more mature and is playing 17+ minutes a game on the 2nd line?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hayes scored 45 points his rookie season playing 13 minutes a game on the 3rd line. You think his top potential is just 5 more points when he gets more mature and is playing 17+ minutes a game on the 2nd line?

You are running on the assumption that players just consistently get better, but I'm not sure it's as true for guys coming off 4 years of college. I can think of one former Ranger who fits that description playing in the SCF who hasn't improved much (nor has he needed to) when you compare him to his rookie season.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

You keep bringing up Hayes' offensive prowess. My concern is his play without the puck, which was abominable last season.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
You keep bringing up Hayes' offensive prowess. My concern is his play without the puck, which was abominable last season.

And in O zone, he still tries to stick handle or pass thru thick traffic, into turnovers
He's the one i'D trade, if someone like Vatanen were the return

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

So was Millers his first couple seasons. A ton of players come into the NHL and have to work on their defensive game, most of those players however don't have the offensive skill he has.

I'd be more concerned if he didn't have the offensive skill than the defensive skill...easier to learn defense.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
You are running on the assumption that players just consistently get better, but I'm not sure it's as true for guys coming off 4 years of college. I can think of one former Ranger who fits that description playing in the SCF who hasn't improved much (nor has he needed to) when you compare him to his rookie season.

I definitely think he has a ton of room to get better.

Kreider was playing on pure adrenaline and dominated his first few weeks. His first real NHL season he was playing like a rookie and has improved since that year. He as well have room to improve still if he would get more consistent.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I definitely think he has a ton of room to get better.

Kreider was playing on pure adrenaline and dominated his first few weeks. His first real NHL season he was playing like a rookie and has improved since that year. He as well have room to improve still if he would get more consistent.

Kreider didn't play 4 years of college.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this love affair with kevin hayes is silly.

sure he's big and tall but hes sloooooow and showed last season a serious regression in his play. he lost the confidence of his coach and was healthy scratched alot.

i question his compete level and ability to play at pace. last season he looked clueless and most concerning, when he didn't have the puck he was a defensive horror show.

i will allow for some expected awfulness due to his back and forth from the middle to the wing.

overall, i liked lindbergs play last season better. as a 3c, i prefer the swede.

if we can move this guy in a package, we have to do it.

hes gotta be in play. no question.

mti79

May 11, 2007
I can't believe I'm the only one who picked Miller. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, it's who is most likely to be traded and not who we want to be traded.

I think JT is going to want a lot of money from us and may price himself out of our range. How much would you pay the kid? $2 million? $3? What if he wants $4-5 per year? He bet on himself this year by taking a 1 year deal and he may have won the bet.

I'm not saying I want to trade Miller, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I can't believe I'm the only one who picked Miller. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, it's who is most likely to be traded and not who we want to be traded.

I think JT is going to want a lot of money from us and may price himself out of our range. How much would you pay the kid? $2 million? $3? What if he wants $4-5 per year? He bet on himself this year by taking a 1 year deal and he may have won the bet.

I'm not saying I want to trade Miller, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I'd easily give him 4 - 4.5 million per year if they signed him long term. I think he'll get something around 3 million for a couple years though

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
jt miller seems to have momentum. he sees to be getting better and has developed a solid 2 way game.

he shows signs of being both playmaker and finisher while displaying better puck awareness and play away from the puck. it appears to me that he "got it" last season. he finally found his consistent game.

its not completely out of the question that he returns to center. to me, he's a better winger with more room to roam and less defensive responsability. i like his size and skating and he's engaged physically. but he may be able to translate his confidence and improved play to the pivot.

if hayes and/or one of brass/step are moved, jtmiller should be given a chance to move back to center. lindberg as the 3 and miller at 2 would both be solid choices down the middle assuming we have a true 1C and we add another impact winger to go along with buchnevich.

of the 3 names in the poll, he's the most well rounded forward who does the most with his tools and has the fewest holes in his game.

miller
kreider
hayes

in that order.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The quandary with Hayes is that he may just not give you enough to be a top 6 center and he clearly lacks some of the traits effective necessary for a prototypical 3rd line center. He fits best on a team like the 2014-15 Rangers that rolled four lines and had a quality 4th center. With the Rangers 4th line in crisis much of last year, he was really exposed. Perhaps you can fix Hayes by fixing some of the problems around him.

I don't know what kind of value he would bring back but I think you can be fairly certain it isn't the #6 pick.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The quandary with Hayes is that he may just not give you enough to be a top 6 center and he clearly lacks some of the traits effective necessary for a prototypical 3rd line center. He fits best on a team like the 2014-15 Rangers that rolled four lines and had a quality 4th center. With the Rangers 4th line in crisis much of last year, he was really exposed. Perhaps you can fix Hayes by fixing some of the problems around him.

I don't know what kind of value he would bring back but I think you can be fairly certain it isn't the #6 pick.

That's a very good way to posit it, but I'd take it a step further and say he really missed Hagelin. Having a speed demon like him really helped cover for his slower foot speed... or shall I say... lack of legs on a nightly basis.

IMO the Rangers can afford to gamble and trade one of Stepan or Brassard... reoup a big return and play Hayes in a strictly sheltered offensive role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad