Speculation: Which RFA is most likely to be traded?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This just shows the massive amount of bias the majority of this board shows in favor of Miller..
Yes he took a step this year but it was a step everyone has been saying he's going to make for the past 2-3 yrs.. He's just a less talented Dubinsky

Oh please. We came off a season where one player answered at least some of the questions we all had about him while the other raised a whole slew of questions we didn't have before. Of course one is going to be looked at more favorably than the other.

I don't want either of them gone. Hayes had an awful year. I don't care if he has enough talent to produce as much as Miller without trying. I don't want that anywhere near my team. That being said, sophomores are sophomores. There's too much there and he's too young to be giving up on him yet.

Miller might not ever be more than a 2nd liner, but he works hard and plays with some emotion, which is something sorely lacking on this team as it is.

If I'm forced to choose between the two, I choose Miller. Luckily that's not what's happening here.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Thesis statement:

Miller totally exceeded my expectations this past season, and I'm hoping he keeps it up in the future. However, due to the state of this thread, and HFNYR in general, it perplexes me why the same people praising Miller for being this worldbeater are also ******** on Hayes for having a terrible season. It is my belief that the season Hayes and Miller had in 15-16 were quite similar and nearly identical. This logic makes me curious as to why Miller is this untouchable asset, and Hayes can be lost without much pain to the Rangers.

This especially when Miller just had by far and away his best season in the NHL, Hayes had a sophomore slump. Considering their seasons were so similar, doesn't this mean that Hayes is most likely to be better than Miller? And, since one plays wing, and the other center, shouldn't we lean towards keeping the center over the winger?

In the grand scheme of things, I view miller as inconsequential to the Rangers future. An easily replaceable 40-50 point winger with a bit of "jam" (Torts, 2012). A lesser Brandon Dubinsky.

Still don't and probably never will see the Dubinsky comparison. Oshie all day for me with miler.

Another element in comparing these two seasons would be the age of the players.

Also, Miller showed more consistency and versatility, being able to play with just about any combination of line mates at either wing and occasionally center. Hayes struggled mightily on the wing and when he played center struggled with face offs badly.

They're both great young players though. I think they're both on the rise and that we haven't seen the best of either. I've loved Hayes' game since the preseason last year and very much remember his stretch last season of dominant play. Miller meanwhile has two brief but promising postseasons to his credit.

I don't think they had very similar seasons though. But neither one deserves to be compared to each other, very different players.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Kreider is the least versatile of the three, but would still command the highest price, IMO. Hence, I'd unload him if forced to make a choice. JT can be a hell of a playmaker when he is on his game...and playmaking is Hayes' game. Of course, both can also score goals. Kredier, on the other hand, is a one-trick pony plagued by inconsistency and tunnel vision.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I think Kreider is most likely to get traded considering the contract/cap situation and would probably fetch the biggest return. If the rangers don't end up dealing Stepan/Brass (I don't think they should but they're a similar case to Kreider) I could see them moving Hayes.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
i much prefer to move Hayes. he is no hockey instincts in his own end and wont stop trying to force passing or stickhandling plays through close traffic

that said, if 'Peg is serious about moving Trouba, nice knowing you Chris K

This for sure! If Trouba is for sale , I believe other teams can and will provide better packages

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Out of the three, Hayes is the player I'd be least upset with moving. However, I don't think any of them get moved if one of Brassard or Stepan ends up getting dealt.

We've heard Minnesota in on stepan but has anyone heard of the peg looking for a center?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
keep Hayes please

it's most likely Kreider but I don't think any of them are gone at this point

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Kreider won't touch 30 goals until he learns how to play in zone hockey...
Everything he scores is off the rush or a breakaway. Also he needs to learn how to screen a goalie... If he learns to screen properly I bet that adds 3-5 goals a year

If this kid had a head on his shoulders, he would be a perennial allstar. Unless he plays with 2 puck handling wizards, I don't see it. If he goes for a Trouba or likewise I say great.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I feel Hayes for sure - he doesn`t fit well in AV system anyway and he is too slow.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I feel Hayes for sure - he doesn`t fit well in AV system anyway and he is too slow.

He has 82 points in his first 2 NHL seasons playing mainly on the 3rd line and barely any PP time...what are you talking about?

Much better start to his NHL than Kreider and Miller had, on par with Stepans.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00