Which players under 25 have the potential to score 100 points in a season?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Those 7 hot games still count though, so why take them out? At the end of the day, hot and cold is part of the package with every single player.
A lot of guys aren't ppg if you take out there best 10 games.

I don't get how we can just take games out if it suits our argument.

Clearly he's an elite player and could easily hit 100 points.
The talent is there and doesn't need another step, he does have to stay healthy though.
He does need to take another step. And needs to stay healthy. Pace is not an extremely accurate predictor, because the more hockey guys play, the more they slow down from the wear of the long season. He is an extremely talented player, but he hasn't performed at the level needed to hit 100 points over the course of a season.

I think he can hit 100, but its wrong to think he'll do that just continuing what he has been doing. He needs to take another step forward.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Me too, thats why they are dark horses

Theres a reasonable chance that none of the guys in OP hit 100 pts
I mean. Come on. Saying Eichel/Rantanen/Marner/Barkov have a chance in the future is very different than saying Timo f***ing Meier will hit 100 points. I think people are underestimating what caliber of player gets to that point.

Reactions: Flipwon

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
MacKinnon can.

Eichel may be able to.

I'm not sure Matthews will, but I can see him putting up 55 or more goals and coming close at least.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marner reached 100 points at some point.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I mean. Come on. Saying Eichel/Rantanen/Marner/Barkov have a chance in the future is very different than saying Timo ****ing Meier will hit 100 points. I think people are underestimating what caliber of player gets to that point.

You are missing the point of my post

The literal definition and point of a dark horse is someone you'd be extremely surprised to see hit the benchmark. None of those guys you named would be surprising although none of them are guaranteed. Meier would be surprising. Debrincat would be surprising.... and, of guys who would be shockingly surprising, those are the guys I see as most likely

It's like if I said, "Casey DeSmith is a dark horse to win the Conn Smythe" and then you said, "you think he has a better chance than Crosby?!?!??!"... no.... that's not the point....

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
You are missing the point of my post

The literal definition and point of a dark horse is someone you'd be extremely surprised to see hit the benchmark. None of those guys you named would be surprising although none of them are guaranteed. Meier would be surprising. Debrincat would be surprising.... and, of guys who would be shockingly surprising, those are the guys I see as most likely

It's like if I said, "Casey DeSmith is a dark horse to win the Conn Smythe" and then you said, "you think he has a better chance than Crosby?!?!??!"... no.... that's not the point....
Kassian is a dark horse to win the art ross. It’s just ridiculous. It’s not even a dark horse, I understand what that is, it’s just not even possible. It will never happen.
I could simply say anyone is a dark horse for anything, with the looseness you’re giving the phrase.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I think he can hit 100, but its wrong to think he'll do that just continuing what he has been doing. He needs to take another step forward
The only step he really needs to take is health. He'd have 94 points this year if healthy as a 21 year old. Vast improvements are not needed

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Kassian is a dark horse to win the art ross. It’s just ridiculous. It’s not even a dark horse, I understand what that is, it’s just not even possible. It will never happen.
I could simply say anyone is a dark horse for anything, with the looseness you’re giving the phrase.

Alex Debrincat, 21 - 71pts in 71 games
Timo Meier, 22 - 60pts in 69 games
Jack Eichel, 22 - 72pts in 67 games

You are ridiculous & pedantic.... I never said they would get there.... hell, I doubt they do. My 'argument' was, of the non-obvious names - - guys who were top 5 picks/might get there this season - - they are the most likely

If you think Kassian winning the art ross is analogous to 21 yr old Alex Debrincat not having peaked offensively..... all the power to you. But, sorry to say, I have no interest in hearing more about it

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Currently, there are only 10 active players who have ever scored 100 points in a season:

-Joe Thornton
-Sidney Crosby
-Alex Ovechkin
-Evgeni Malkin
-Connor McDavid
-Patrick Kane
-Nikita Kucherov
-Claude Giroux
-Nicklas Backstrom
-Eric Staal

However, with the increased scoring this year, there are several players currently on pace to score 100 for the first time:

-Johnny Gaudreau (age 25)
-Leon Draisaitl (23)
-Nathan MacKinnon (23)
-Mikko Rantanen (22)
-Blake Wheeler (32)

And a few others are on track to come close (current pace of 95 points or more):

-Brayden Point (23)
-Brad Marchand (30)
-Mitch Marner (21)
-Aleksander Barkov (23)

One thing I noticed is that most of this year's top scorers are quite young. And I'm wondering, excluding the players listed above, which other players under 25 do you think have the potential to score 100 in a future season. Who is most likely to actually do it?

My top guesses:

1. David Pastrnak
2. Auston Matthews
3. Sebastian Aho
4. Elias Pettersson
5. Jack Eichel
6. Patrik Laine
7. Mathew Barzal

Some other potential names (including some longshots) to toss out there for discussion:

Matthew Tkachuk, Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm, Filip Forsberg, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Kyle Connor, Nikolaj Ehlers, Brock Boeser, Clayton Keller, Timo Meier, Nico Hischier, Nolan Patrick, Alex DeBrincat, Dylan Larkin, Sam Reinhart, Jake Guentzel, Max Domi, Teuvo Teravainen, Jonathan Drouin, Travis Konecny, Andrei Svechnikov, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Filip Zadina, Brady Tkachuk, Rasmus Dahlin

Which of those guys have the best shot at scoring 100? And who did I miss entirely, any longshots whose name you'd toss in the ring? Any game-breaking prospects that need more time to develop, but have the skills and potential to have a shot at 100 points?

Dahlin is a great defenceman but he’s not getting anywhere near 100 pts

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Matthews is a sure bet to never reach 100 points.

Sigh, what a pointless comment. Imagine a fan base being so insecure and upset that Matthews was mentioned in the same breath as their guy that they have to disparage him every chance they get. Or maybe you were looking for cheap "likes" that seemed to work.

No anti leaf bias? 40 people liked this ridiculous comment even though Matthews is not only a good answer to the OP but also much more worthy than other players mentioned. Posts like this are a joke and need to stop, I clicked on the thread to actually see the discussion not to get baited by a sad Oiler fan, I'm far too hungover for this.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Among those who have not hit the big 1 double 0:

David Pastrnak
Elias Pettersson
Jack Eichel
Patrik Laine
Mitchell Marner
Aleksahndehr Barkov

HM: Matthews, Rantanen, Domi, Korkaniemi, Barzal

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
All I need do is look at your location and I can see why you probably ignore the evidence it is very possible. Edmonton and Matthews....always a good mix.

I'd be pretty bitter if I was an Oilers fan too. Gotta be tough watching team after team drop down, rebuild, and pass by them again.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Well i think all the potential names have been mentioned. 100 pts isn’t something good players manage in a career year. It’s pretty much only the big names that can do it.

But if i had to pick a surprise name DeBrincat might have a chance to do it someday.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
A year ago he would be headlining this thread; what have you done for me lately syndrome.

Don’t rest on Barzal. He’s 22, transitional year, not much talent to work with. Once he develops and is surrounded by more skill, he’ll blossom. He’s in good hands, has a strong work ethic, and cares about being very good. Not sure that will translate into perennial 100 pt seasons, but he’ll flirt w 95 consistently.

Reactions: Howard Beale

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
Most guys don’t have 25% of their points in the first 7 games of the year, I don’t buy into stretches of hot and cold where guys are clearly playing out of their league. Just like Jonathan Drouin’s cold stretch I don’t discredit him for it, he was a ppg player for the first 50+ games.
Man look into your local community college Math courses. Not sure how you’re getting by in day to day life without being able to figure this out.

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Alex Debrincat, 21 - 71pts in 71 games
Timo Meier, 22 - 60pts in 69 games
Jack Eichel, 22 - 72pts in 67 games

You are ridiculous & pedantic.... I never said they would get there.... hell, I doubt they do. My 'argument' was, of the non-obvious names - - guys who were top 5 picks/might get there this season - - they are the most likely

If you think Kassian winning the art ross is analogous to 21 yr old Alex Debrincat not having peaked offensively..... all the power to you. But, sorry to say, I have no interest in hearing more about it
Yeah I think people are being short-sighted in assuming that emerging stars have maxed out at 22 years old and can't improve further.

When the Sedins were age 22, Daniel scored 31 points and Henrik scored 39. Seven years later, Henrik scored 112 points, and Daniel scored 104 points the following year.

Or for a less extreme example, Joe Thornton was a 70-point player at age 22, and then scored 101 the following year.

Plus, since the early 2000s, several players have hit 100 points for the first time in their late 20s or early 30s:
-Daniel Alfredsson
-Markus Naslund
-Marian Hossa
-Vincent Lecavalier
-Claude Giroux
-Martin St. Louis
-Patrick Kane

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad