Which players under 25 have the potential to score 100 points in a season?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't get the Mathews either, he needs to raise his give a damn meter to get 100 points.
How is he the worst plus/minus forward on the team, he's negative 6 on a team that is plus 43.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I don't get the Mathews either, he needs to raise his give a damn meter to get 100 points.
How is he the worst plus/minus forward on the team, he's negative 6 on a team that is plus 43.
Ok, so a guy who is on pace for a 93 point season (in his 3rd year) is hard for you to imagine as a 100 point guy? That is about as credible as plus minus.

Basically he needs to stay healthy (big if) and have Nylander at camp.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If we are looking at 2012 draft on...

McDavid has and will continue to do so.
Mackinnon and Draisaitl probably will this season and could in the future.
Rantanen, Point, and Marner very likely have the potential to hit that mark.
Eichel, Matthews, Barkov, and Aho have a chance.

Everyone after that seems very unlikely to do so. I would also consider that this is the highest scoring season we have seen in a long time. And in the future it likely won’t be as high paced.

Some of the names being mentioned in here are absolutely ridiculous. Guys that will never have a chance to even touch 100

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Good thing seasons are counted as an entirety!

Wonder what some other stars look like with their best 10 game stretches not being counted?

Is there something wrong with you? He had 7 hot games to start the season and hasn’t even been ppg since. All I’m saying is he has to hit another level if he’s ever gonna hit 100, I’m not sure why you’re so defensive.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Is there something wrong with you? He had 7 hot games to start the season and hasn’t even been ppg since. All I’m saying is he has to hit another level if he’s ever gonna hit 100, I’m not sure why you’re so defensive.
Those 7 hot games still count though, so why take them out? At the end of the day, hot and cold is part of the package with every single player.
A lot of guys aren't ppg if you take out there best 10 games.

I don't get how we can just take games out if it suits our argument.

Clearly he's an elite player and could easily hit 100 points.
The talent is there and doesn't need another step, he does have to stay healthy though.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Those 7 hot games still count though, so why take them out? At the end of the day, hot and cold is part of the package with every single player.
A lot of guys aren't ppg if you take out there best 10 games.

I don't get how we can just take games out if it suits our argument.

Clearly he's an elite player and could easily hit 100 points.
The talent is there and doesn't need another step, he does have to stay healthy though.

Most guys don’t have 25% of their points in the first 7 games of the year, I don’t buy into stretches of hot and cold where guys are clearly playing out of their league. Just like Jonathan Drouin’s cold stretch I don’t discredit him for it, he was a ppg player for the first 50+ games.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Most guys don’t have 25% of their points in the first 7 games of the year, I don’t buy into stretches of hot and cold where guys are clearly playing out of their league. Just like Jonathan Drouin’s cold stretch I don’t discredit him for it, he was a ppg player for the first 50+ games.
So with that said if hot and cold works the same way in your mind, you'd also have to take out the stretch where Matthews had 2 points in 8 games. And then just like that he's well over a ppg player again.

Or you could just leave it like it is and take the hot and cold stretches as they come, realizing that for the most part they work themselves out over the course of a season.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
So with that said if hot and cold works the same way in your mind, you'd also have to take out the stretch where Matthews had 2 points in 8 games. And then just like that he's well over a ppg player again.

Or you could just leave it like it is and take the hot and cold stretches as they come, realizing that for the most part they work themselves out over the course of a season.

Yeah I realize that, again the point is he has to prove he can consistently do it to reach a level above ppg.

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018

While we're at it if we take away Kucherovs best 10 games that's 40 pts. May not even crack 100 wtf hes so average

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
3 pages and still no mention of Semyon Der-Arguchintsev??? Smh clearly some of you didnt watch deveploment camp

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Currently, there are only 10 active players who have ever scored 100 points in a season:

-Joe Thornton
-Sidney Crosby
-Alex Ovechkin
-Evgeni Malkin
-Connor McDavid
-Patrick Kane
-Nikita Kucherov
-Claude Giroux
-Nicklas Backstrom
-Eric Staal

However, with the increased scoring this year, there are several players currently on pace to score 100 for the first time:

-Johnny Gaudreau (age 25)
-Leon Draisaitl (23)
-Nathan MacKinnon (23)
-Mikko Rantanen (22)
-Blake Wheeler (32)

And a few others are on track to come close (current pace of 95 points or more):

-Brayden Point (23)
-Brad Marchand (30)
-Mitch Marner (21)
-Aleksander Barkov (23)

One thing I noticed is that most of this year's top scorers are quite young. And I'm wondering, excluding the players listed above, which other players under 25 do you think have the potential to score 100 in a future season. Who is most likely to actually do it?

My top guesses:

1. David Pastrnak
2. Auston Matthews
3. Sebastian Aho
4. Elias Pettersson
5. Jack Eichel
6. Patrik Laine
7. Mathew Barzal

Some other potential names (including some longshots) to toss out there for discussion:

Matthew Tkachuk, Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm, Filip Forsberg, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Kyle Connor, Nikolaj Ehlers, Brock Boeser, Clayton Keller, Timo Meier, Nico Hischier, Nolan Patrick, Alex DeBrincat, Dylan Larkin, Sam Reinhart, Jake Guentzel, Max Domi, Teuvo Teravainen, Jonathan Drouin, Travis Konecny, Andrei Svechnikov, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Filip Zadina, Brady Tkachuk, Rasmus Dahlin

Which of those guys have the best shot at scoring 100? And who did I miss entirely, any longshots whose name you'd toss in the ring? Any game-breaking prospects that need more time to develop, but have the skills and potential to have a shot at 100 points?

I like Timo Meier as a darkhorse pick. Debrincat, too.

If I had to choose someone who you didnt list I'd pick Dylan Strome... but obviously very unlikely

Reactions: Howard Beale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad