Which players under 25 have the potential to score 100 points in a season?

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Petty chart. Where does it say he can't score 100 points?

Not worth arguing about. He'll either do it or he won't.

His career average and his season average after the first 10 games of each streak hover between 0.8-0.85 ppg

In the last 72 games of the season, he would have thus gotten a maximum of 0.85 x 72=61 points

His highest ever point total in his first 10 games of any gam streak is 17.

61+17 = 78 points for the whole season, if he would've played every game

He gets really, really tired as the season goes on.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
His career average and his season average after the first 10 games of each streak hover between 0.8-0.85 ppg

In the last 72 games of the season, he would have thus gotten a maximum of 0.85 x 72=61 points

It takes a lot of effort to push those parachute sized nostrils up and down the ice night after night.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

That is an incredible amount of analyses to conclude something you cant possibly know until he is done developing. You're trying really hard so this must mean a lot to you but your position obviously has an agenda for you to overlook the gaping holes. You are basically saying he can't improve which is obviously not a typical opinion for a player his age with his type of deployment. Add two minutes of icetime and your fancy chart gets flushed down the toilet. Put him with Marner, same. He doesn't even need to improve to do it. He probably will though...you will be one of the few people shocked by it.

Great chart though.

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Under 25, I'd say Mcdavid and Drasaitl will do it again for sure. After Draisaitl the talent drops off a bit under 25, Rantanen and Marner could do it I suppose. Maybe Hughes or Barzal.

Getting a 100 pts in a season is an amazing feat, look at the list of player to do so. Its easy to take a small sample size of a player and say they could do it, its another thing to actually do it.

As for Matthews, I don't see him as a as a 100 pt guy, career high in points with 71 this year, he's not close so far. He's been good during the odd 10 game stretch or so, and I think he's been ok in the playoffs this year, but achieving 100 pts is really hard to do. I don't see it happening. After 3 yrs in the league, I think its safe to say we know Matthews with be a solid 60-70 pt guy who will score goals in bunches when hot, and have long stretches where he is invisible.

Last edited:
Reactions: BertMcDrai

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Fun fact: The Maple Leafs have had only 4 player-seasons of 100 points in franchise history -- two by Darryl Sittler and two by Doug Gilmour (and Sittler's lesser one was exactly 100, so he barely made it). Compare:

Number of 100-point player-seasons (franchises in existence since 1979-80):
0 - New Jersey / Colorado / Kansas City
4 - Toronto
4 - Dallas (0) / Minnesota (4)
5 - Carolina (1) / Hartford (4)
6 - NY Rangers
6 - Vancouver
6 - Buffalo
7 - Washington
8 - Arizona (0) / Winnipeg (8)
9 - Philadelphia
10 - Calgary (8) / Atlanta (2)
10 - Montreal
11 - Detroit
11 - Chicago
13 - St.Louis
18 - NY Islanders
21 - Colorado (5) / Quebec (16)
23 - L.A.
23 - Boston
31 - Edmonton
33 - Pittsburgh

So, yeah, if a Leaf -- say, Marner or Matthews -- can get to 100 points this year or anytime in the future, it would be kind of a big accomplishment, esp. given Toronto's remarkable history of producing few such players.

(Jersey is sort of amazing.)
Jack Hughes is going to change that stat ;)

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
As for Matthews, I don't see him as a as a 100 pt guy, career high in points with 71 this year, he's not close so far. He's been good during the odd 10 game stretch or so, and I think he's been ok in the playoffs this year, but achieving 100 pts is really hard to do. I don't see it happening. After 3 yrs in the league, I think its safe to say we know Matthews with be a solid 60-70 pt guy who will score goals in bunches when hot, and have long stretches where he is invisible.

I hate the Leafs but that's pretty ridiculous things to say.... 100 points is an amazing achievement that I agree but a career high of 71 points as a 21 years old is also amazing and it's weird that no one see the numbers improve? 60-70 points? I'd peg him as a regular 70-80 at a floor, with a potential to be a regular 80-90 for a couple years

After 4 seasons MacKinnon's career high was 63 points in his first year, then 97 99
Brad Marchand -> 6 first seasons career high of 61 points then 85 85 100
Blake Wheeler -> 8 seasons and 69 was his highest, 91 91 past two years
Patrick Kane -> 88 points in 3rd season, second highest 73 and reached a 106 in his 9th season
Draisaitl -> 51 77 70 100
Kucherov -> Had to wait his 4th season to break 70 points
etc.

It's pretty rare to see a player's best at 21 or before...

Reactions: RayBloodyPurchase

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
MatthewS...... avoie ;)

McDavid
Draisaitl
MacKinnon
Barkov
Marner
Eichel
Aho
Eichel
Petterson

I think the following players will come close but not quite reach triple digits...
Rantanen
Matthews
Pastrnak

Last edited:

SG1990

Apr 11, 2019
Guys that have came close and probably could as soon as next year...
MacKinnon
Point
Marner
Rantanen

Others that might eventually get there...
Matthews
Pastrnak
Eichel
Barzal

SeanConn

Apr 25, 2018
New Cork, New Brunswick, Canada
wait, why are people so sure Matthews can't crack 100 points?

would not be at all surprised to see him post a 50+50 season, especially if scoring continues to rise...

If scoring continues to rise, so will the amount of 100 point players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad